No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just watched "Vengeance" (Antonio Margheriti, 1968 I think). Plotwise, it's sort of a standard spaghetti western revenge story with some added brutality, but the main villain is a scenery-chewing comic book moustache twirler that makes it instantly memorable. He also has a cool lair. Theme song was good. 7.5/10.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
      I just watched "Vengeance" (Antonio Margheriti, 1968 I think). Plotwise, it's sort of a standard spaghetti western revenge story with some added brutality, but the main villain is a scenery-chewing comic book moustache twirler that makes it instantly memorable. He also has a cool lair. Theme song was good. 7.5/10.
      Definitely an upper tier SW but AND GOD SAID TO CAIN is top and deserves the BD treatment imo.
      Margheriti's work needs some TLC that the Bava's got.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koukol View Post
        Definitely an upper tier SW but AND GOD SAID TO CAIN is top and deserves the BD treatment imo.
        Margheriti's work needs some TLC that the Bava's got.
        Definitely agree And God Said to Cain is the better of the two westerns I have seen from him. I want to check out El Rojo (also with Richard Harrison) now, but all the reviews I read are pretty bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanIcon View Post
          Definitely agree And God Said to Cain is the better of the two westerns I have seen from him. I want to check out El Rojo (also with Richard Harrison) now, but all the reviews I read are pretty bad.
          I happened to watch El Rojo just last night. Youre right , its not a great film, only average but its a passable timewaster. Have you seen ONE AFTER ANOTHER (Uno Dopo L'Altro) yet? That is a much better Harrison flick. Its available on German DVD with English option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogart View Post
            I happened to watch El Rojo just last night. Youre right , its not a great film, only average but its a passable timewaster. Have you seen ONE AFTER ANOTHER (Uno Dopo L'Altro) yet? That is a much better Harrison flick. Its available on German DVD with English option.
            Haven't seen that one, but I definitely have heard the title. I started to get these mixed up.
            Does anyone know how the quality of Black Jack is on this newer Echo Bridge set - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=sr_1_8&sr=8-8

Comment

• Diabolik has the Retrovision DVD of DJANGO THE BASTARD/BOOT HILL in stock. Anyone seen any reports on this one? Wouldn't mind picking it up if DTB is an improvement on the old VCI release.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                Diabolik has the Retrovision DVD of DJANGO THE BASTARD/BOOT HILL in stock. Anyone seen any reports on this one? Wouldn't mind picking it up if DTB is an improvement on the old VCI release.
                Some dudes at Spaghetti-western.net have it and will be updating their comments.http://forum.spaghetti-western.net/t...leases/43/1233

Comment

• Yes, I've been checking there (I don't care for the new look there at all). No direct comments on the disc yet but someone from Retrovision posted today, made an intriguing remark too:

"It should also be noted that if this release sells well, I can release a few more Spaghetti Westerns on DVD and eventually Blu-ray, especially one that has never seen a DVD release in any part of the world."

I'd be very interested in what that one that has never had a release anywhere is.

Comment

• These are the titles Retrovision bandied about a while ago:

DJANGO KILL... IF YOU LIVE, SHOOT (1967) [new HD transfer, no DNR like BU release, will be available in 2017]
                    DJANGO DEFIES SARTANA (1970) [HD]
                    DON'T WAIT DJANGO SHOOT (1967) [HD]
                    SHANGO (1970) [SD only, HD can be made]
                    CHUCK MOLL (1970) [HD]
                    Il Giustiziere di Dio (1973) [HD]
                    THE FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO (1969) [SD only, HD can be made]
                    QUINTANA (1969) [HD]
                    BROTHER OUTLAW (1971) [HD]

The previously unreleased one being IL GIUSTIZIERE DI DIO aka Executioner of God ?

Comment

• So there are some screenshots from both films on the Retrovision DVD in that thread that Bogart linked - and also there's mention that the old VCI release of DTB was cut by a minute or so, due to seconds trimmed from various scenes. I went ahead and ordered this.

Comment

• It looks a very nice release from those screen caps. Still intrigued as to whether it has English subs for the Italian track. Otherwise a bit criminal to have the Italian audio and no subs...?

Comment

• I got the disc and popped it in - both films look good. Django the Bastard undoubtedly looks better than the VCI disc I've had for years. I've never owned Boot Hill, so I have nothing to compare that to, but I'd say it's comparable to a Wild East DVD at least. It won't win awards, but it's certainly watchable and much better than 'public domain' collections. I haven't tried the Italian audio, but I think I saw somewhere that one of the guys who put it out said there were no English subtitles.

Comment

• would be good if someone can confirm about the availability of English subs?

Comment

• No subs listed in its entry in the SWDb page for DTB DVDs (scroll down to the USA section). I'll check my disc when it arrives - should be tomorrow or first of next week.

Comment

• Did the Cjamango double feature Wild East was putting out ever drop? I've been wanting to see that.

Comment

Working...
                                X