The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zane C. View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure, but I'm assuming it will be Coburn's voice, and I also assume they will be using the U.S. version. Any U.S. versions I've seen have had Coburn's voice intact. I don't remember how long the WE disc is, but I do believe it was the international version. I'd have to check the WE disc.
    The Wild East disc is indeed the international cut, with Coburn (incongruously) dubbed.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
      I had a feeling that would be the case. Weren't the planned Blu-ray releases by Eureka and Koch stymied for the lack of a HD presentation of the Italian cut of the film?
      Yeah, that is what at least Eureka said. Though I think you meant Explosive Media instead of Koch? :) Koch had the same guy in charge (at least of the spaghetti releases) when they released the Sollima box but that was back in 2005.

Also I think it is slightly misleading speaking about Italian version/cut in the reviews and such since the uncut English version is just as long. I mean, the DVDBeaver review really isn't wrong when they speak about Italian SD version and even refer to the shorter version as 'the American cut' but it will still give the impression that there is no English track for the uncut version. Is it important people know this? YES DAMMIT!

Explosive Media at least included the (full) English audio track on their DVD release unlike Eureka or Kino. I think Eureka said the English track just wasn't in very good shape but so what... I certainly have never had any problems watching the film in English from the discs that have the track.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sundance View Post
        Yeah, that is what at least Eureka said. Though I think you meant Explosive Media instead of Koch? :) Koch had the same guy in charge (at least of the spaghetti releases) when they released the Sollima box but that was back in 2005.
        Yes, Explosive Media. Sorry. There's an overlap between Koch and Explosive in my mind

Also I think it is slightly misleading speaking about Italian version/cut in the reviews and such since the uncut English version is just as long. I mean, the DVDBeaver review really isn't wrong when they speak about Italian SD version and even refer to the shorter version as 'the American cut' but it will still give the impression that there is no English track for the uncut version.
        Yes, the UK version on the Fletcher tape had a running time of 107 mins. I think the Moviedrome screening in the early 1990s was of a similar length (but replicated the BBFC cuts from 1968), but when Aktiv released their VHS a few years later it contained the much shorter US cut (90 mins or thereabouts). There was definitely some small amount of footage in the much shorter Aktiv tape that wasn't in the longer Moviedrome version.

That's all by the by and many moons ago now though, I guess
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• THE SILENT STRANGER is a lot like the first Stranger film. It's real thin on plot and character with most of the runtime consisting of Tony Anthony sneaking around picking off henchmen one at a time. There are two rival samurai factions fighting for control over a village in Japan. Anthony plays off both sides in hopes of making a fortune. Unfortunately none of the Japanese characters are developed or distinguish themselves. The leaders and even the lone American are cardboard cutouts that are never fleshed out. So all that could have been gained by changing the setting ends up being wasted and frustrated me greatly. Anthony does drop the occasional funny quip, the rare swordplay is surprisingly good but the film could have used a few classic shootouts. There are some entertaining moments but ultimately THE SILENT STRANGER is very a tedious and shallow affair.

The German Intergroove DVD is open matte and when zoomed in to 1.66 gives an acceptable presentation. If the sound weren't so flat I think I would have got more out of the score. As meh as I am about this first viewing I would give THE SILENT STRANGER another shot if it were to get a decent Blu-ray release.

Comment

• Hasn't that been released in the US as a Warner Archives release in OAR, in a trilogy with the other Stranger films?

edit - YES ! LINKhttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...QRFCUO/dvdtalk
            Bogart
            Last edited by Bogart; 07-28-2015, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogart View Post
              Hasn't that been released in the US as a Warner Archives release in OAR, in a trilogy with the other Stranger films?

edit - YES ! LINKhttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...QRFCUO/dvdtalk
              I agree with alot of what the DVDTalk review had to say. I didn't know that THE SILENT STRANGER had 20 minutes hacked out when I watched it, but it was very obvious that things were missing. It would be interesting to see if that's where the substance went. There is a samurai that I kept expecting would team up with Anthony and give some information on the two factions. They do briefly team up but its not clear why. We never get the expected back story from him either.

It's tempting to pick up the Warner Archive release but the German Double feature is very nice and I picked it up on the cheap.
              Jason C
              Last edited by Jason C; 07-28-2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Source.

"Raro Video U.S. have confirmed that they will release on Blu-ray legendary Italian director Sergio Corbucci's Johnny Oro a.k.a. Ringo and His Golden Gun (1966), starring Mark Damon, Valeria Fabrizi, Franco De Rosa, Ettore Manni, and Loris Loddi. The release is expected to arrive on the U.S. market later this year.

Synopsis: Johnny Oro a.k.a. Ringo and His Golden Pistol is a 1966 spaghetti western directed by Sergio Corbucci and starring Mark Damon. Renamed to cash in on the success of Duccio Tessari's Ringo movies, Ringo and His Golden Pistol focuses on bounty hunter Johnny Oro/Ringo who sees killing as purely business, in fact he won't draw his solid gold pistol unless he can profit from it and this will get him into trouble. He lets Juanito Perez live because there is nothing to gain from killing a man without a price on his head unlike his brothers who "Ringo" does kill. Perez swears revenge and faces off with "Ringo". Juanito has formed an alliance with the local Indian chief and is now prepared for an all out war against the peaceful town and sheriff that are protecting Ringo."
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I'll be waiting for reports on that, after already having the Warner Archive disc (and Franco Cleef's before that); also given Raro's spotty track record. I like it but always end up wishing someone besides Damon had been cast.
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Part of me wants to buy Raro's Johnny Oro a.k.a. Ringo and His Golden Gun just to support Spaghetti Westerns in HD, but I'm very pleased with the Warner Archive disc. It's a fun film but Mark Damon's presence will likely keep me from revisiting it.

Comment

• "On 30. October 2015 appears in the framework of a " Django Collection " in the distribution of cargo records a box with the three italo western " Django is the night prayer " (il suo nome grid Ava Vendetta, 1968) with Anthony Steffen and William Berger, " Django-insatiable how satan " (un hombre vino a matar, 1967) with Richard Wyler and Brad Harris, as well as for the first time boccias " exceso djangos bloody trail " (LA LUNGA SOME DELLA VENDETTA, 1972) with Richard Harrison and Anita Ekberg with us on DVD."

Click image for larger version

Name:	12011345_862232730519204_5086385206741711409_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	349095

http://www.italo-cinema.de/211-cargo...ion-im-oktober
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Interesting. I am always hankering for more Spaghetti releases. But will it have English? Im not hopeful.

Comment

• COMIN' AT YA! due in January -- and in 3D:

http://www.amazon.com/Comin-At-Ya-Bl...s=Tony+Anthony

Comment

• From the SWDB forums, A MAN CALLED SLEDGE coming to BD from Explosive Media and will have English audio.

http://www.alive-ag.de/index.php?pag...ikelNr=6416202
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Are there any plans to rerelease Matalo!? I have the old Wild East DVD, but it's not really great quality, especially on a bigger TV. Wouldn't mind getting If You Meet Saratana... on blu ray - still have my old DVD on that one, too. I know they're 'lesser entries,' but I dig 'em.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                                From the SWDB forums, A MAN CALLED SLEDGE coming to BD from Explosive Media and will have English audio.

http://www.alive-ag.de/index.php?pag...ikelNr=6416202
                                A solid mix of American and Italo western themes; I'm into it!

Comment

Working...
                                X