No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeh, the thread is massive, so apologies if im covering familiar ground. Andrew, the Koch Tepepa is nice..but do you consider it essential SW? Ian, thanks for the tips as well!

Comment

• How did you people get your Cemetary Blu rays early? Pre-order???

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
        I got the great big badass bug....I'm now taking advantage of my region free status and carousing for SW blus. Got the mill creek double features, Day of Anger, and Sabata...can anyone recommend some musthaves on blu, even if they're obvious choices?
        You need the Koch Media FRANCO NERO box set for THE MERCENARY . Or get the individual release.

Comment

• Cheer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogart View Post
            How did you people get your Cemetary Blu rays early? Pre-order???
            Its available at the Arrow webstore now.

Comment

• S....

Comment

• Okayy, ive got the non-gribdhouse of GUNDOWN, TEPEPA and KOCHs Mercemary in my .de basket. KOCH or BU for Bullet?

Comment

• Ah man, I was eyeing up the grindhouse release of gundown earlier, but learning about the European release has really made me hold off. The PQ on the grindhouse does look better to me, but the longer cut with dual English and subs wants to make me reconsider and go for that.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

Comment

Andrew, the Koch Tepepa is nice..but do you consider it essential SW? Ian, thanks for the tips as well!
                      No, I don't consider TEPEPA an essential spaghetti, Mark. There are those would disagree with me though. I like it but don't love it. It's got a great Morricone score though. Personally, I would put that one at the back of the list and if you continue to have sw fever in a couple months, then grab it. As a certified spaghetti western nut I certainly had to get it on BD but it's not one I watch frequently (unlike say, FACE TO FACE, THE BIG GUNDOWN, Leone's stuff, etc).
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Thanks, andrew!

Comment

• I have a couple of questions about the Kino Blus as I haven't been following them since they were first announced...

Is the Face to Face release still going to have only the cut version in HD and the longer only in SD and without the full English audio track that does exist (and is on the Japanese DVD)?

A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die. Longer or shorter version? (Shorter has Coburn's own voice, longer does not)

And as for Navajo Joe I'm hoping they fix the audio track sync in the beginning and grade the day-to-night scenes correctly. But I doubt there has been any info about that?

Comment

KOCH or BU for Bullet?
                            I have only the Koch disc but when I quickly compared it to the screenshots of the BU disc (a long time ago...) I think they are basically the same. (But I don't guarantee that. ;) ) I was expecting BU to look somewhat worse (for reasons) but they might be about the same.

The film has two different English dubs available. I just can't remember now if the Koch disc has the shorter cut included. It is possible they did what they did with their older DVD which is that they include both English audio tracks but the parts not present on the shorter version use the audio from the longer version. BU disc apparently has both versions included in their own streams so I guess it might cause some compression problems but not sure...

BU has English SDH subtitles for the short version and English subtitles if you want to watch the longer version in Italian. Probably no English subs for the longer English track? Koch on the other hand probably didn't have any English subs at all.

As far as the image goes it is just one more film scanned with the shitty equipment in Italy but probably much better than some of the other Italian genre releases. I suspect most find it looking just fine.
                            Sundance
                            Last edited by Sundance; 07-11-2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for the response!

Comment

I got the great big badass bug....I'm now taking advantage of my region free status and carousing for SW blus. Got the mill creek double features, Day of Anger, and Sabata...can anyone recommend some musthaves on blu, even if they're obvious choices?
                                THE BIG GUNDOWN is a must.

I enjoyed A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL. Well worth picking up the BU release.

Django Prepare a Coffin is quite awesome.

If you are into the revenge based westerns Wild East's
                                PECOS double feature might be considered a must have. I enjoyed it greatly.

My impressions of Pecos:

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                                I really enjoyed MY NAME IS PECOS. My favorite SWs are the YOJIMBO clones and the mysterious gunman looking for revenge. PECOS is an excellent example of the latter. Robert Woods is terrific as the hero and Pier Paolo Capponi makes for a more than capable villain. The shootouts are great and there is no shortage of action. For a SW from 1966, it has a surprising amount of violence against women. There are at least 3 scenes where a woman is graphically assaulted for an extended period of time. My only criticism, I found it a bit distracting that the main theme sounded like "House of the Rising Sun" and there was something strange about Robert Woods' eyes.

The Wild East BD is well worth the investment. It's not impressive as a blu-ray but it provides a better presentation than most mid-tier Spaghetti Western releases. There is some print damage the fine detail isn't great but the colors do pop nicely. The Robert Woods interview is quite good. I definitely need to track down some more Robert Woods SWs.

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                                Yeh, the thread is massive, so apologies if im covering familiar ground. Andrew, the Koch Tepepa is nice..but do you consider it essential SW? Ian, thanks for the tips as well!
                                I didn't like TEPEPA as much as most. Its heavy on the political drama. The finale was great but it takes a long time getting there. It's part of the Western Unchained Collection [8 DVDs] and I was pleased with the DVD. I won't feel the need to upgrade to HD but I might revisit it someday.

Comment

Working...
                                X