No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll probably get this, shouldn't be much more than 10 bucks. If the last one is anything to go by, the prints will be watchable if less than pristine.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Mill Creek's website has the MSRP listed at $9.95.

If wonder if it will come out though? At one point they were going to be releasing Django, weren't they? BU put a stop to that. Mill Creek plays legit these days, I'm assuming they have the rights properly secured.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Hey, this is pretty interesting - I just got an email from WB Archive Collection with the latest releases and HATE FOR HATE is among them. A pretty good spaghetti with Antonio Sabato and John Ireland. I have a letterboxed TCM copy but this is 16x9 widescreen. While I would prefer dvds of course, I am curious about what others we might get. I would certainly grab any I didn't already have as imports (and in the case of many Koch dvds, no english tracks only subs).

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          Mill Creek's website has the MSRP listed at $9.95.

If wonder if it will come out though? At one point they were going to be releasing Django, weren't they? BU put a stop to that. Mill Creek plays legit these days, I'm assuming they have the rights properly secured.
          Yeah, I wonder about KEOMA. Not so much as far as THE GRAND DUEL is concerned since it's popped up on some budget sets already. They did have DJANGO announced at one point, I wonder if AB still controls KEOMA? BU never rereleased that did they?

Comment

Yep, BU reissued that one.

I think I have the same copy of Hate For Hate that you do. Agree with you that it'd be worth the money if WB gave us a good upgrade.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This seems as good a place as any to mention that the new Fangoria has a pretty long interview with Franco Nero. He talks a good bit about his westerns, and ENTER THE NINJA too! There's a lot of other good stuff as well - lots of retro coverage.

Comment

Watched THE RETURN OF RINGO (1965) last night.

It's a sorta-sequel (some of the same actors, the same names of the characters, but different plot points and totally different characterizations) that is intense and well made. I want to say that this one was FANTASTIC, but it was lacking in some ways, even though I would give it a thumbs up and a hearty recommendation.

Firstly, there is very little violence or gunplay until the last reel. That ain't good. Secondly -- it's the story of a man who shows up after being in the civil war, only to find that his town has been taken over by some evil mexicans, and is wife is getting fucked on a regular basis by their scummy leader -- and he doesn't bother to let his wife know that he's back in town until the 35 minute mark! Shit, he almost shoots her in the face assassin-style just for cheating on him, but can't bring himself to do it. Dude, it's not her fault some asshole took over the place and killed all the men in town! Thirdly, do you buy that when a white guy puts some dirt on his face, draws a fake beard on his chin, and plops a straw hat on his head -- that he's now a mexican? Everyone in this movie does!

Anyway, the last third of this is magnificent and very violent (which makes up for the slllllllllow wind-up), Guilliano Gemma is awesome in the lead, and the score by Ennio Morricone is something else. The actress that plays his wife, Holly (Lorella De Luca) is lovely and bonertastic as well. You may remember her fondly from the bizarre spy parody KISS KISS... BANG BANG.

The trailer:
                Robin Bougie
                Last edited by Robin Bougie; 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM.
                www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

FYI: Return of Ringo is partially a remake of the last book of The Odyssey!

Comment

Did not know that! Thanks
                    www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Warning spoilers ahead!!!!

In defense of Ringo's thought of shooting his wife, he mistakenly thinks she's willingly with Paco, or that's how I've always interpreted it. It does definitely show his dark side to even contemplate that though, and I think he would have done it if not for the fact that he sees his daughter - who was born while he was away. I love that the movie takes time to slowly build to a cathartic climax, never really thought of it as too slow. I enjoy the character moments in the first part. As you might guess, I love love love this film. The sequence where Ringo holds the lamp up to his face so his wife can see who he is, with Morricone's beautiful music swelling, is one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever.

Btw, KISS KISS BANG BANG is a real RINGO reunion, with most of the cast from both films as well as Tessari directing. It's not very good but damn if Lorella doesn't look gorgeous in it! She's one of my favorite eurocult actresses as far as looks go, simply stunning. She was actually married to Tessari, since he's no longer around she was interviewed on the Koch dvd of RETURN OF RINGO and still looks quite nice for her age. Sadly the interview doesn't have english subs.
                      Andrew Monroe
                      Pallid Hands
                      Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 04-04-2012, 10:11 AM. Reason: spoiler tag added

Comment

Haha I didn't want to say the thing about his daughter because of the SPOILER effect, but since you went there.

And yeah, the whole way through I kept punching the pillow next to me and biting my lip every time Lorella showed up on screen. DAMN how is she not a bigger star amongst Eurocult fans?! GORGEOUS! And a great actress too! Seems like the only Euro actresses genre film fans care about are the ones that showed up in Horror movies. So short-sighted.
                        www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

I've added a spoiler warning, should have done that to begin with.

I think part of the reason Lorella isn't as well known as some others is that she simply didn't make that many films, particularly during the prime late 60s/early 70s period. And she chiefly worked with her husband during this time. She's in THE BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY in a supporting role but it's a small part. She supposedly worked as an assistant director on some of his films. I sure do wish she had done more, she's a natural and would've been great in more comedies in particular. While I don't think much of KISS KISS BANG BANG, it's fun to watch because the cast look to be having a blast and seem so relaxed and happy together. The killer Bruno Nicolai score helps too.

Comment

I decided to pull out the slightly improved copy of BLACK JACK I got in trade. This is the type of spaghetti western I wish Wild East would release, instead of films that have been available as imports for ages. This one, from 1968, is easily the most violent and nihilistic of its era. I don't want to go into spoiler territory here so I'll just mention the bare bones of the plot: Robert Woods is a seemingly upstanding citizen who's really planning to rob the town bank with his gang. After the successful job his gang decide they've had enough of his unfair loot splits and cripple him (and do a whole hell of a lot of other unfriggin' believable stuff...nuff said). The rest of the film concerns his quest for revenge..which has to be seen to be believed! There's possibly one likeable character in this film, the rest are greedy, vile, and in some cases insane. Even the townfolk, like those in DJANGO KILL, are more concerned with money. It's not a gory film but what we do see, along with the implied brutality and heinous acts (really, not overstating the case here but just STUNNING) puts this one way out on the fringes when you consider the year. The way poetic justice is delivered to the most evil of the gang is one of those is he really doing that? Holy shit...HE IS!!! moments.

Comment

Cover art and press release info for the Keoma/Grand Duel double feature Blu-ray coming next month is here.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Will you be reviewing it ian?

Comment

Working...
                                X