No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got around to watching the Explosive Media DVD of FACE TO FACE (Von Angesicht zu Angesicht). I made it 5 minutes in a couple months back but immediately pulled it out. I needed some time to get my head wrapped around Gian Maria Volonté being an intellectual and dubbed with a different voice than Ramon and Indio. I'm glad I finally got back to FACE TO FACE because it is amazing. I'd say its my third favorite western after the first two DOLLARS films.

The Explosive Media DVD is quite nice.

Comment

• Don't really know where else to put this so I'll put it here, sorry.

Sony Movie Channel HD will be showing some spaghetti westerns in December. If anybody has access to that channel and could record them that would be awesome. ;) Or if nothing else at least check how they look... (if they are truly HD...)

Schedule (copy&paste from post by autophex at the SWDB forums):

Blood Money
      Friday, Dec 5 6.05 pm E | 3.05 pm P
      Monday, Dec 8 6.25 pm E | 3.25 pm P
      Thursday, Dec 25 8.20 am E | 5.20 am P
      Sunday, Dec 28 7.00 pm E | 4.00 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 28 10.35 pm E | 7.35 pm P

Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming
      Saturday, Dec 6 3.05 pm E | 12.05 pm P
      Saturday, Dec 13 2.45 pm E | 11.45 am P
      Sunday, Dec 21 8.35 pm E | 5.35 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 21 11.55 pm E | 8.55 pm P
      Thursday, Dec 25 3.15 am E | 12.15 am P

A Pistol For Ringo
      Sunday, Dec 7 7.00 pm E | 4.00 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 7 10.30 pm E | 7.30 pm P
      Wednesday, Dec 10 4.35 pm E | 1.35 pm P
      Friday, Dec 26 9.50 am E | 6.50 am P
      Monday, Dec 29 2.00 pm E | 11.00 am P

The Return Of Ringo
      Sunday, Dec 7 8.45 pm E | 5.45 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 7 12.15 am E | 9.15 pm P
      Wednesday, Dec 10 6.15 pm E | 3.15 pm P
      Friday, Dec 26 11.35 am E | 8.35 am P
      Monday, Dec 29 3.45 pm E | 12.45 pm P

Forgotten Pistolero
      Thursday, Dec 11 3.15 pm E | 12.15 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 21 7.00 pm E | 4.00 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 21 10.20 pm E | 7.20 pm P
      Thursday, Dec 25 5.00 am E | 2.00 am P

Silver Saddle
      Thursday, Dec 11 4.50 pm E | 1.50 pm P
      Thursday, Dec 25 6.40 am E | 3.40 am P
      Sunday, Dec 28 8.55 pm E | 5.55 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 28 12.30 am E | 9.30 pm P

Massacre Time
      Sunday, Dec 14 7.00 pm E | 4.00 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 14 10.15 pm E | 7.15 pm P
      Friday, Dec 26 8.10 am E | 5.10 am P
      Tuesday, Dec 30 12.35 pm E | 9.35 am P

Bandidos
      Sunday, Dec 14 8.40 pm E | 5.40 pm P
      Sunday, Dec 14 11.55 pm E | 8.55 pm P
      Thursday, Dec 18 3.05 pm E | 12.05 pm P
      Friday, Dec 26 6.35 am E | 3.35 am P

Comment

• The Warner Archive release of RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN PISTOL looks and sounds quite nice. The colors are vibrant and there is plenty of detail. There is some print damage in the opening credits and occasional white specs but overall this is a wonderful presentation.

The film itself is worth seeing but nowhere near one of my favorites. It appears to have a good budget, is well acted, and has some interesting cinematography. The main villain is well done but doesn't get enough screen time. My biggest problem with the film is that Damon's Ringo isn't serious enough for my tastes and is too much of a dandy. The film ends with a fairly epic battle and the final showdown between Ringo and the villain is satisfying.

I know RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN PISTOL is an early Spaghetti Western but I found it strange how clean everything was. I can't think of one character that was sweating profusely or desperately needed a shave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
          The Warner Archive release of RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN PISTOL looks and sounds quite nice. The colors are vibrant and there is plenty of detail. There is some print damage in the opening credits and occasional white specs but overall this is a wonderful presentation.

The film itself is worth seeing but nowhere near one of my favorites. It appears to have a good budget, is well acted, and has some interesting cinematography. The main villain is well done but doesn't get enough screen time. My biggest problem with the film is that Damon's Ringo isn't serious enough for my tastes and is too much of a dandy. The film ends with a fairly epic battle and the final showdown between Ringo and the villain is satisfying.

I know RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN PISTOL is an early Spaghetti Western but I found it strange how clean everything was. I can't think of one character that was sweating profusely or desperately needed a shave.
          My main problem with RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN PISTOL is Mark Damon - he's just not very likeable and doesn't have much charisma. He tends to smirk a lot too. Whenever I revisit this one I always think the film would have been so much better with a different lead, say Giuliano Gemma (the real Ringo anyway). Thank God Damon wasn't in DJANGO (as he has often claimed he was going to be). I do kind of like him in JOHNNY YUMA, and his strange gothic villain character in KILL AND PRAY was quite good, but most times he doesn't work for me in westerns.
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I really enjoyed his cameo in "a train for durango". he plays a mysterious english gunman with a car (!!) who shows up from time to time to save the day - smart and always one step ahead of the rest! so basically he is just like mark damon in real life..

and in case you didn't know: mark damon taught anthony steffen acting during the filming of "train for durango" which is actually the only reason why he is so much better in this than in any of his other movies.
            killer must kill again
            Last edited by killer must kill again; 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Another German FB posting translated says:

"On the 27 January 2015 the first two stranger movies (a dollar between the toes / Western Jack) appear now also common in a THE InStr Abdullah set COLLECTION with Tony Anthony as a 3-disc. Certainly interesting for those who have not yet slammed the single releases."

Click image for larger version

Name:	1393537_732733413469137_305291792705010827_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	347588
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• For UK television viewers, according to my TV listings mag, DUEL IN THE ECLIPSE is scheduled to be broadcast on the Freeview channel 5USA on December 29!

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/2066...se#.VJmB3EBHAA

Should be interesting to see if this does indeed happen. I shall set my recorder for it.
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Another German FB posting translated says:

"On the 27 January 2015 the first two stranger movies (a dollar between the toes / Western Jack) appear now also common in a THE InStr Abdullah set COLLECTION with Tony Anthony as a 3-disc. Certainly interesting for those who have not yet slammed the single releases."
                  It appears I may have got it pretty cheap, pre-ordering from Amazon Germany. Never pre-ordered from them so it should be interesting.
                  Jason C
                  Last edited by Jason C; 12-23-2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• I've been getting back to Tinto Brass the past few weeks and YANKEE was one of the films I gave a spin. In many ways its nothing new but the one thing that stood out was how it's more colorful than most SWs. Its no surprise that the cinematography is often interesting. There is plenty of action that is well done and some of the score really caught my attention. It also helps that the storyline is similar to A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (my favorite of the overused SW plots). On the negative side, much of the verbal sparing in the film didn't work for me despite the fact that I liked the hero and lead villain (played by Adolfo Celi).

It's a damn shame there wasn't a saloon scene that showcased some bare derrieres. The world of Spaghetti Westerns could have used a few minutes of what Brass is best known for. It got me thinking of how great it would have been if Brass would have directed THE STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER (aka BLOOD MONEY) instead of Margheriti.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11966[/ATTACH]
                      Are these English friendly? I really dig Tony Anthony for some reason.
                      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                        Are these English friendly? I really dig Tony Anthony for some reason.
                        Yes, I have both of the separate releases, they have the English audio track. Great releases.

Comment

• Awesome. Thanks. Will order it after my next paycheck hits the bank.
                          https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11966[/ATTACH]
                            Nice. I may have to spring for these, as I'd like a nice copy of these films. All the better there's an English track as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                              For UK television viewers, according to my TV listings mag, DUEL IN THE ECLIPSE is scheduled to be broadcast on the Freeview channel 5USA on December 29!

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/2066...se#.VJmB3EBHAA

Should be interesting to see if this does indeed happen. I shall set my recorder for it.
                              This is on UK television right now. Find it hard to believe, really.

It's a mediocre presentation which seems to be noticeably cropped (the Italian TV broadcast that I used for my composite/fandub was open-matte). It remains to be seen whether or not the film is uncut: I'll check it out in full later.

Regardless, nice to see this somewhat rare Italian Western get an airing on a mainstream UK television channel.
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Posted at the SWDB forum by administrator Sebastian:

"in the meantime, as posted on the FB page, Explosive Media will release the other two Sabata films on BluRay and DVD this spring"

I'll probably spring for ADIOS SABATA but pass on the third one.

Comment

Working...
                                X