The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
    ^^ Are you saying SMOKEY ANFD THE BANDIT is bad? I love that film.

Yup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
      Reynolds has derided the film so many times. I heard him on a talk show once where he said he worked cheap but they never paid him, and after the film came out his agent had to lower his fee. He said there was a time in his career when he thought he'd never live it down and thought it would be the only film he was remembered for if it was remembered at all. He doesn't think much of the film or of his own performance in it. It did nothing to boost his career.

Objectively, the new transfer makes the film look better than it probably did at the time release. Burt invests more into the film than is on the page, but dramatically it's a fairly one-dimensional piece.
      Re: Reynolds. SHARKY'S MACHINE. Now, there's a film that needs a good BD, or even a DVD!

I'm not a big fan of NAVAJO JOE, pretty much for the reasons Richard outlines above.

I like the idea of Reynolds on the set of DJANGO, however, studiously observing Corbucci's handling of the ear-cutting scene
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Koukol View Post
        Yup.
        What a shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
          What a shame.

For me? :)

Comment

• Ian, does Wild East send you review copies?

For that matter, does Wild East send any site review copies?
            "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
            - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Not that I know of. They don't send us stuff at least and I don't see anyone else covering their releases on a regular basis. I'll shoot'em an email and see if they're interested.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Keep after them, Ian.

Received THE TRAMPLERS (1965) today. At first glance the transfer looks clean and sharp at 1.77 anamorphic. The English dub is a little off but it might never have been in sync to start with. I think that's Gordon Scott doing his own voice-over.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	chato.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	342817

Not really a spaghetti western. A largely American cast in a British-produced western, written by a Brit, directed by a Brit, spoken in English and shot like a British / American film. The "breed" Chato is played by a Polish immigrant who became an American, Charles Buchinski aka Charles Bronson. That makes CHATO'S LAND (1972) an authentic international Euro-western, like CUSTER OF THE WEST (1967), CATLOW (1970), RED SUN (1971) and A MAN CALLED NOON (1973). The script works hard to deconstruct American story-telling structures and succeeds rather well at turning genre conventions inside bloody out. Don't look for hardscrabble morality play or good role models for young boys in this western. The posse men are reprehensible. The way they turn against each other soon becomes predictable and eventually strains credulity. Talk about overkill, these guys are too stupid and base to be be alive beyond the age of 5. But I like the film anyhow.

Cameraman Robert Paynter works wonders with the usual Almaria locations.

I'd like to see CHATO'S LAND and Michael Winner's other western LAWMAN (1971) receive nice new hi-def transfers on blu-ray soon, please.

Meanwhile, does anyone know of a widescreen anamorphic edition of CHATO'S LAND ? MGM's region 1 DVD dates from 2001 and is letterboxed itsy-bitsy size in a sea of black.

Comment

• Re: CHATO'S LAND. The German and French DVDs are uncut (the US DVD is the slightly censored 'R' rated version) and they are also anamorphic.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Wild East just released this one... The Tramplers.

I don't know anything about it.

Diabolik has it in stock for $9.99.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0236d6dbfbc277ab1f616eb54db2672d.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	342822
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• THE TRAMPLERS is a sort of companion piece to THE HELLBENDERS, which it precedes. Joseph Cotten is in both, and Franco Nero has an early role in THE TRAMPLERS. It's generally considered the lesser of the two (never seen it myself), but still rated as a pretty good early sw. Albert Band co-directed it - he produced both films. I'll be getting it, very nice price!

Richard mentioned getting his copy above btw.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Shout Factory/Timeless Media have two Spaghetti Western DVD sets coming out on July 9th:
                          Movies 4 You: Spaghetti Westerns: A Pistol for Ringo, The Return of Ringo, Ringo: Face of Revenge, and Shoot, Gringo... Shoot!
                          Movies 4 You: MORE Spaghetti Westerns: Blood for a Silver Dollar, 10,000 for a Massacre, 7 Dollars on Red, and A Bullet for a Stranger

Comment

• Diabolik just got this in stock from Koch....
                            Italowestern Encyclopedia Box Vol 1 (4 DVDs Koch Media) (PAL Region 2)

4 DVD boxset with the oaters Amigos, Bastards do not pray, Shamango and Bava's Three scoundrels and a Halleluja

"Amigos": The opera's vengeful bandits Tim meets the somewhat naive Henry. Although he repeatedly Henry of someone else, the two become friends.

"Three scoundrels and a Hallelujah": Outlaw Roy wants to be decent, is appointed sheriff and must finally against his former pal and other gangsters fighting over a pot of gold. From Mario Bava!

"Bastards do not pray": With the help of his friend Daniel goes to Brian on the search for the killers of his fiancee. Since he can not exactly remember their faces, he begins to murder indiscriminately.

"Shamango": A sniper messes with bandits to avenge the murder of his brother.

Import DVD
                            PAL Region 2
                            German/Italian/English audio.
                            Price: $69.99

Click image for larger version

Name:	6ecf402b3e15471779ac3b5c0b347d08.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	342892
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Regarding Koch Media's TEPEPA bluray in the Western Unchained Collection -- I see it advertised in a standard blu-ray case, but it was sent to me in a DVD-sized case that obviously doubles as a DVD case. Did anyone receive theirs in a blu-ray case? I'm just curious.

Comment

• The Spaghetti Western thread

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                                Regarding Koch Media's TEPEPA bluray in the Western Unchained Collection -- I see it advertised in a standard blu-ray case, but it was sent to me in a DVD-sized case that obviously doubles as a DVD case. Did anyone receive theirs in a blu-ray case? I'm just curious.
                                No.

Mine came in a strange case that was DVD height but kind of a paper clamshell - if that makes any sense.

I have no other cases quite like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X