No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish aristocrat Miguel de la Serna, a pacifist whose humanitarian ideals make him objectionable to the military, has been appointed the new governor of Nuevo Aragon, a colonial province being oppressed and exploited by Col. Huerta and his soldiers. Gov. Serna plans to institute reforms, but Col. Huerta's assassins kill him on the eve of his sailing to the province. So his brother Diego de la Serna, a former soldier and accomplished swordsman who shares his brother's ideals but disagrees with his pacifism, assumes his identity. Posing as an effeminate coward, Diego enlists Col. Huerta to protect him from angry peasants while hiding in the Governor's hacienda. But secretly he goes out among the people disguised as a peasant, and once he sees how they are being mistreated, he dons the disguise of Zorro to confront the bad guys. The inspiration behind this French-Italian co-production appears to be the Disney series as well as the Tyrone Power classic from 1940 more than Johnston McCulley's 1923 novel. Some of the details are different from what we're accustomed to, but it doesn't really matter, because the filmmakers understood exactly what the Zorro franchise is all about, and they deliver it in fine swashbuckling style and with robust spirit. The writers still "play the scene," the dialogue generally hits the mark, and the character interaction is adult instead of juvenile and holds our attention. The scene where Zorro humiliates Sgt. Garcia and the soldiers in the marketplace is 100% successful because it inspires the peasants to take action for themselves. That and other action scenes like it as well as the European sensibility make this a nearly perfect Zorro film. I say nearly perfect, because there are one or two mis-steps. The opening sequence in which Diego rides in and the closing sequence where Zorro rides out are weak, and should have been visualized more atmospherically. Sometimes there is too much humor and not enough threat, or pain. But by the time we get to the final swordfight, all is forgiven. The fight is a long one, with swishing blades, clashing steel, sweeping torches and dynamic stunts. Although the budget is less than opulent, the production values are everything they should be with fine costumes, authentic sets and locations, and plenty of expertly staged stunts. The film is adeptly directed by Duccio Tessari, best known for A PISTOL FOR RINGO, THE RETURN OF RINGO, and DON'T TURN THE OTHER CHEEK. Alain Delon is a first-rate Zorro. He gets the body language right. Stanley Baker, in his last role, seems to relish playing the villain Col. Huerta. The two actors are about evenly matched in the sword fight which they handle with skill and conviction.

The new blu-ray marks the first time ZORRO (1975) has been released in the uncut version, running 118 minutes and 18 seconds. The cover art claims 124 minutes, but that must be a typo. Those accustomed to the truncated, blurry public domain editions will find this transfer a revelation. It is widescreen, anamorphic and in rich color. Somerville House has cheated us out of the foreign language track and subtitles, however. It would not have cost them anything to offer the same options that appear on the French blu-ray. The dubbed voices are fine, but I would have preferred to hear Alain Delon's voice in his native language.

Since the theatrical release in 1976, audiences and critics have complained loudly and unanimously about the horrid theme song "Zorro's Back" sung by Oliver Onions intermittently throughout the film. Nobody likes it. Everybody hates it. It is truly obnoxious. It makes you wince. Every review ever written trashes it. It sets the wrong tone and undermines the four or five scenes it plays over. It is so jarringly out of place it sounds as if it had been slapped on at the last minute. I doubt if it was part of the director's and producer's original intent. Fans of the film will be disappointed to learn that the song remains intact. Whether or not it appears on the foreign language tracks of the European edition, I don't know. But this ZORRO is a good enough film to survive the song.

As an aside, I should add this ZORRO easily surpasses and outclasses the recent Warner Brothers deconstructions so badly misdirected by Martin Campbell.

ZORRO is currently priced low at amazon. I recommend you Buy It Now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
    Richard--W
    a straight arrow
    Last edited by Richard--W; 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up, Richard! I had no idea this was out. I loved this flick as a kid and a fews years back tracked down the French DVD to get the uncut version.

Comment

• Roderick, is the French language-version burdened with that stupid song?

Comment

• Yup. The soundtrack is the same.

Comment

• Damn.

Comment

• It's a damn shame those Japanese BDs are reportedly not very good because they sure got the packaging right! Stole these pics from the SWDB forum.

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• WOW.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  WOW.
                  Seconded. Hot Damn, those look awesome.

Comment

• It's tempting to get them just for the packaging!

Are there screencaps anywhere online for these releases? Are the transfers really that weak?
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      It's tempting to get them just for the packaging!

Are there screencaps anywhere online for these releases? Are the transfers really that weak?
                      It's very tempting for the packaging alone! Ian, I haven't run into any screencaps yet, you can read some comments from a buyer or two here. Paul mentioned that there are similar dissatisfied buyer comments at Amazonjp too. It generally sounds like these don't improve on dvds at all. If these weren't expensive I would get a few for the booklets etc., and if they show up at Diabolik or somewhere all bets are off!

Comment

• Gah. I want these, but I also want these to be awesome!
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• The Spaghetti Western thread

The one I have on order from cdjapan is THE GREAT SILENCE. Hopefully that one looks better than these!

Comment

• Are KILL THEM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE with Chuck Connors and A REASON TO LIVE A REASON TO DIE! with James Coburn comedies? slapstick spaghetti westerns?

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                              Are KILL THEM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE with Chuck Connors and A REASON TO LIVE A REASON TO DIE! with James Coburn comedies? slapstick spaghetti westerns?
                              No, not in the slightest.

Saw at the SWDB forum that someone quoted a blog post that BU is going to release a BD of THE GRAND DUEL. Seems weird since Mill Creek already did but there you go. Here's the quote "If the Round-up seems a bit briefer than usual today, I've got a good excuse. Fellow screenwriter and western historian C. Courtney Joyner and I spent the day doing audio commentary for the Blu-Ray release of THE GRAND DUEL, the Lee Van Cleef spaghetti western from 1972, which BLUE UNDERGROUND is releasing. It was a lot of fun, but it takes a lot of preparation. They've done a beautiful restoration on it - I'll have more information as the release date nears.

Until then, Happy Trails!

Henry"

From Henry's Western Round-Up Blog.

Comment

• Funny - just ordered both - I had to get REASON from Sweden cause the Wild East disc is going for over 100 bucks now but COME BACK ALONE is still available. ALONE has a solid rep but REASON seems to be considered more tier 2. Doesn't matter - I love Coburn and Savalas.
                                Horace Cordier
                                Last edited by Horace Cordier; 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X