No announcement yet.

The Spaghetti Western thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mondo Digital has a review up for Arrow's dvd of DJANGO, PREPARE A COFFIN. It looks like it's something of an upgrade of the German disc I have.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• The reviews makes it sound worthwhile and the screencaps look good. I wonder if this will get a USA release. I'm down, down, down on the 4% PAL speed-up after the last couple of region 2's I bought.
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
        Mondo Digital has a review up for Arrow's dvd of DJANGO, PREPARE A COFFIN. It looks like it's something of an upgrade of the German disc I have.
        I passed the Arrow disc by because I own the German DVD, but this does indeed look like something of an improvement - probably worth the purchase, if only for the Italian track with English subs. I think it can be bought quite cheaply too: it's £5 at HMV (which is on the brink of going into administration, btw!). Thanks for the link, Andrew :)
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Paul, you and other UK based folks might be interested to know that the store Sainsburies has an exclusive version of the Arrow DJANGO, PREPARE A COFFIN for only 3 quid. It doesn't have the 8 page booklet by Howard Hughes but is otherwise the same transfer. This version came out early. Saw talk of this at the SWDB board.

I really like the film, it's probably the one film after the original that really does seem like a sequel and Terence Hill is a formidable Django. He's really good in a completely serious role. The title song is fantastic too, was playing the soundtrack this morning.

Comment

• Agreed on the positive qualities of the film, Andrew. I really like it too.

I haven't seen the Sainsbury's release but have ordered the disc from HMV. Hopefully it has the booklet by Howard Hughes (I'm sure it will). It's already been posted, so I should receive it by the weekend :)
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• Another new Echo Bridge release. To my knowledge, the first time Dig Your Grave, Sabata Is Coming,Holy Water Joe, Sartana Killed Them All and Some Dollars For Django have been released on U.S. DVD? Been fairly satisfied with most Echo Bridge transfers so far, so looking forward to digging into this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Spaghetti-West...ghetti+western

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                And if that weren't enough, now there's this!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4163[/ATTACH]
                Finally got around to watching this blu-ray.

Wow. The transfer is a knockout.

Why can't all spaghetti westerns look this good on video.

Name some others with transfers as good as this.

And it's a really good film, too. One of the top spaghetti westerns. The opening sequence is a classic containing the best elements of a spaghetti western and all the elements I love in a Sergio Leone film -- except this isn't him. The early scene between Corbet and the senator influenced the scene between Coburn and Robards in Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, me thinks.

I've always thought Lee Van Cleef did his best work in FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE especially his first scene in TGTBATU, but this performance is right up there.

Watching Tomas Milian makes me feel tired.

Comment

• By the way, whoever designed the clip-in disc holder needs to get his head examined. It is tricky to remove the discs and put them back in without damaging them.

I wish Sollima had not saddled the opening titles and end titles with that hideous vocal. I mean after all. Such caterwauling starts the film off on the wrong foot. The film would be just about perfect if it had just the instrumental or a different song sung differently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                    I wish Sollima had not saddled the opening titles and end titles with that hideous vocal. I mean after all. Such caterwauling starts the film off on the wrong foot. The film would be just about perfect if it had just the instrumental or a different song sung differently.
                    Man I sure disagree with you here, Richard, I think the Christy vocal is absolutely beautiful and it never fails to give me goosebumps. To me the vocals perfectly express, nay shout to the heavens, the refusal to give up or be dominated. I can't imagine the film without them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                      Man I sure disagree with you here, Richard, I think the Christy vocal is absolutely beautiful and it never fails to give me goosebumps. To me the vocals perfectly express, nay shout to the heavens, the refusal to give up or be dominated. I can't imagine the film without them.
                      I'm with you on this. I love the opening theme, to me it is an important part of the movie. Maybe if I weren't familiar with it (Richard, I'm guessing this was a first watch for you?) I'd feel differently but I can't imaging the movie without it any more than I can imagine TGTBATU without Ecstasy Of Gold.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Oh and Scyther, thanks for the heads up on that Echo Bridge release. I actually saw it at a Walmart a few weeks ago and passed it over based on the lousy cover art.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• If anyone gets that Echo Bridge set let us know how SOME DOLLARS FOR DJANGO looks and the runtime. There are two PAL releases that are english friendly, one from C'est La Vie that's cut and the uncut version from Minerva (I have this one and it's pretty nice looking). It's nothing special imo but if you're a Steffen fan it's worth seeing and Frank Wolff is in it as well.

Comment

• Re. SOME DOLLARS FOR DJANGO. There's a release from Triple X in Thailand that's not too shabby - in its OAR and uncut (AFAIK). The only downside is the audio track is one of those faux-5.1 remixes, as per quite a number of those Thai discs.

Comment

• I get the message of the song. The point could have been made without the caterwauling. I'm used to dissonance, and I like it, but this vocal pushes it too far.

Echo Bridge's SOME DOLLARS FOR DJANGO 8-movie set is $7.88 at Walmart right now.

Comment

• The song and vocals are wonderfully bombastic. Not as brilliant as "Ecstasy of Gold" but you can see it from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X