X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    This was pretty mediocre. I enjoyed it, but it's really nothing more than an efficient mainstream thriller, albeit with more gore than usual. This is probably the most straightforward film in Argento's filmography. I thought the score was effective, gave the film some energy. The killer's motivation is pretty hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Domestic Blu-ray release coming from RJLE Films/Shudder on 2/14/23.

Leave a comment:

• The Silly Swede

• The Silly Swede
    replied
    This was much better then I expected. Not a good film by any means, unless one counts the gore, which was top notch when it appeared, but compared to Argentos latest outings, this felt somewhat like a real film. Sure, it had a dumb and silly plot filled with holes and inconsistensies, but it was still enjoyable. (Something which really cannot be said for Dracula 3D for example)

Leave a comment:

• Toyboy
    like a hole in the head

• Toyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I think even more positively of it now I've had some time to sit on it. I put it on expecting to hate it after the last couple of his films and I think that coloured my viewing experience. I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Stylistically it's pretty dry but otherwise solid giallo. No cgi, lots of tearing latex and syrup.
    I'm with you - I had every expectation that I was going to turn this off after 15 minutes but it hooked me, mainly because I felt like we got two rock solid performances from Ilenia Pastorelli and Asia Argento. Like you said earlier, the potentially wonky bits helped to sell this one and rather than shut it off after the first reel I did something I hardly ever do any more which is take in the entire film in one sitting, never checking the run time or picking up my phone. This one genuinely surprised me.

Leave a comment:

• bgart13

• bgart13
    replied
    I checked Dark Glasses out last night. I had zero expectations, but I thought it was it alright. Pretty straightforward with nods to some of Argento’s past movies. A couple or few bits of excessive bloody violence (in a good way). He’s made worse, for sure. I certainly don’t regret watching it.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
    For anyone keeping track, this popped up on Shudder yesterday (in the UK at least).

Looking forward to checking it out over the weekend.
    It is on the Canadian version of Shudder, too.

If only we had the Tom Savini documentary I've heard good things about...

Leave a comment:

• BW Haggar

• BW Haggar
    replied
    For anyone keeping track, this popped up on Shudder yesterday (in the UK at least).

Looking forward to checking it out over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• unclefred

• unclefred
    replied
    It's screening at a few theaters before it hits Shudder

https://www.fangoria.com/original/yo...-hits-shudder/

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
    It's not on Shudder in the UK yet either. I think I read somewhere they were going to be putting it out in autumn/winter, but could be wrong on that...
    Thanks, it's probably just what you said. PTSD from living in one of the most fucked-up licensing environments in the movie world kicks in quick sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• BW Haggar

• BW Haggar
    replied
    It's not on Shudder in the UK yet either. I think I read somewhere they were going to be putting it out in autumn/winter, but could be wrong on that...

Leave a comment:

• Darcy Parker

• Darcy Parker
    replied
    So, is this on Shudder in the states yet? I re-upped for a year on a great promo deal, but I can't find it on the site here in Canada, there's no listing for it even as Coming Soon.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
    I started to watch the R2 DVD and it doesn't have any English subtitle options! I went to Diabolik and they've changed the listing to include that it DOES NOT have English subs, only the Blu-ray does. It's been marked down to $4.99 whereas I had to pay $20. I feel a bit ripped off. Would you ask for some sort of credit?
    Just wanted to give an update on this. I contacted Diabolik and they offered store credit plus shipping for the useless disc. Not sure if anybody else purchased this, but it's worth contacting them for a refund.

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    It's not a complicated movie but still I'd wait for subs. Visually the movies not amazing so you won't be getting much off it that way. Plus, its probably the very last new Argento you'll ever get so best to watch it with dialogue. Just out of respect for the great man.

Leave a comment:

• Matt H.

• Matt H.
    replied
    I started to watch the R2 DVD and it doesn't have any English subtitle options! I went to Diabolik and they've changed the listing to include that it DOES NOT have English subs, only the Blu-ray does. It's been marked down to $4.99 whereas I had to pay $20. I feel a bit ripped off. Would you ask for some sort of credit?

Is the movie hard to follow if I were to try and watch it w/o subs or is it too dialogue-heavy to even attempt it?

Leave a comment:

• agent999

• agent999
    replied
    Well, that was all a bit inconsequential. I mean, it's not bad, but just so slight. I really hated the photography, another one of these modern keep the middle in focus but blur the fuck out of everything else things. The music annoyed the shit out of me, mostly out of place and not in a crazy Goblin-like way. I liked the central relationship calling back to Cat o'Nine Tails, but it's probably not wise to recreate one of the set pieces from Suspiria when you no longer have the budget or the skills. There's one left field bit of craziness at the start of the third act, but that was a bit fumbled. I have a hunch that the script was hacked apart to meet the obviously low budget and that this was far better on paper. It could have been worse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X