Dario Argento's Dark Glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by f.ramses View Post
    Apparently that Italian BD has English subs even though it doesn't list them on the back cover. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=351609
    Cheers!
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Although it’s not great Argento (for me the last one in that category would be OPERA), SLEEPLESS is the last one he made that I like enough to occasionally return to it, even if it has some goofy elements I find worthy of comparison to NEW YORK RIPPER.

I will definitely check this one out when it becomes available to me.
      VHS will never die!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne Marshall View Post
        Although it’s not great Argento (for me the last one in that category would be OPERA), SLEEPLESS is the last one he made that I like enough to occasionally return to it, even if it has some goofy elements I find worthy of comparison to NEW YORK RIPPER.

I will definitely check this one out when it becomes available to me.
        Anything has got to be better than Dracula 3D, at least!

Comment

Well, that was all a bit inconsequential. I mean, it's not bad, but just so slight. I really hated the photography, another one of these modern keep the middle in focus but blur the fuck out of everything else things. The music annoyed the shit out of me, mostly out of place and not in a crazy Goblin-like way. I liked the central relationship calling back to Cat o'Nine Tails, but it's probably not wise to recreate one of the set pieces from Suspiria when you no longer have the budget or the skills. There's one left field bit of craziness at the start of the third act, but that was a bit fumbled. I have a hunch that the script was hacked apart to meet the obviously low budget and that this was far better on paper. It could have been worse.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I started to watch the R2 DVD and it doesn't have any English subtitle options! I went to Diabolik and they've changed the listing to include that it DOES NOT have English subs, only the Blu-ray does. It's been marked down to $4.99 whereas I had to pay $20. I feel a bit ripped off. Would you ask for some sort of credit?

Is the movie hard to follow if I were to try and watch it w/o subs or is it too dialogue-heavy to even attempt it?
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

It's not a complicated movie but still I'd wait for subs. Visually the movies not amazing so you won't be getting much off it that way. Plus, its probably the very last new Argento you'll ever get so best to watch it with dialogue. Just out of respect for the great man.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                I started to watch the R2 DVD and it doesn't have any English subtitle options! I went to Diabolik and they've changed the listing to include that it DOES NOT have English subs, only the Blu-ray does. It's been marked down to $4.99 whereas I had to pay $20. I feel a bit ripped off. Would you ask for some sort of credit?
                Just wanted to give an update on this. I contacted Diabolik and they offered store credit plus shipping for the useless disc. Not sure if anybody else purchased this, but it's worth contacting them for a refund.

Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

So, is this on Shudder in the states yet? I re-upped for a year on a great promo deal, but I can't find it on the site here in Canada, there's no listing for it even as Coming Soon.

Comment

It's not on Shudder in the UK yet either. I think I read somewhere they were going to be putting it out in autumn/winter, but could be wrong on that...
                    https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                    http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
                      It's not on Shudder in the UK yet either. I think I read somewhere they were going to be putting it out in autumn/winter, but could be wrong on that...
                      Thanks, it's probably just what you said. PTSD from living in one of the most fucked-up licensing environments in the movie world kicks in quick sometimes.

Comment

It's screening at a few theaters before it hits Shudder

https://www.fangoria.com/original/yo...-hits-shudder/
                        Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

For anyone keeping track, this popped up on Shudder yesterday (in the UK at least).

Looking forward to checking it out over the weekend.
                          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
                            For anyone keeping track, this popped up on Shudder yesterday (in the UK at least).

Looking forward to checking it out over the weekend.
                            It is on the Canadian version of Shudder, too.

If only we had the Tom Savini documentary I've heard good things about...

Comment

I checked Dark Glasses out last night. I had zero expectations, but I thought it was it alright. Pretty straightforward with nods to some of Argento’s past movies. A couple or few bits of excessive bloody violence (in a good way). He’s made worse, for sure. I certainly don’t regret watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

I think even more positively of it now I've had some time to sit on it. I put it on expecting to hate it after the last couple of his films and I think that coloured my viewing experience. I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Stylistically it's pretty dry but otherwise solid giallo. No cgi, lots of tearing latex and syrup.
                                I'm with you - I had every expectation that I was going to turn this off after 15 minutes but it hooked me, mainly because I felt like we got two rock solid performances from Ilenia Pastorelli and Asia Argento. Like you said earlier, the potentially wonky bits helped to sell this one and rather than shut it off after the first reel I did something I hardly ever do any more which is take in the entire film in one sitting, never checking the run time or picking up my phone. This one genuinely surprised me.
                                Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Working...
                                X