Shock (1977)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock (1977)

Arrow are releasing this in the future. Someone in the Arrow US thread on the Blu-Ray Forum said the following:

"Just got a postcard for Mario Bava's SHOCK in my Yokai Monsters set."

Here is what said forum user got (after I asked for a pic):

Click image for larger version

Name:	8435CF82-39F9-4166-AF04-AAE82299F2AA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	371749
    fatboyslim142
    Last edited by fatboyslim142; 10-06-2021, 08:34 PM.

FINALLY.

Comment

Great news.

Now they just need to get around to putting out 'Hercules in the Haunted World' (as rumoured yonks ago) and my Bava collection will be complete! Well, give or take a decent version of 'Whip & The Body'. And 'Four Times That Night', now that I think about it. One step closer, anyway.
      https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
      http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post
        Great news.

Now they just need to get around to putting out 'Hercules in the Haunted World' (as rumoured yonks ago) and my Bava collection will be complete! Well, give or take a decent version of 'Whip & The Body'. And 'Four Times That Night', now that I think about it. One step closer, anyway.
        You'd STILL be missing the following:

L'orecchio (Documentary) (1946)
        Santa notte (Documentary short) (1947)
        Legenda Sinfonica (Documentary short) (1947)
        Anfiteatro Flavio (Documentary short) (1947)
        Variazioni sinfoniche (Documentary short) (1949)
        Capriccio musicale (Short) (1950)
        The Road to Fort Alamo (1964)
        Savage Gringo (1966)
        Odissea (TV Mini Series) (1968) - He directed 2 episodes
        I giochi del diavolo (TV Mini Series) (1979) - Directed 1 episode

Comment

An HD version of I Vampiri would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
            You'd STILL be missing the following:

L'orecchio (Documentary) (1946)
            Santa notte (Documentary short) (1947)
            Legenda Sinfonica (Documentary short) (1947)
            Anfiteatro Flavio (Documentary short) (1947)
            Variazioni sinfoniche (Documentary short) (1949)
            Capriccio musicale (Short) (1950)
            The Road to Fort Alamo (1964)
            Savage Gringo (1966)
            Odissea (TV Mini Series) (1968) - He directed 2 episodes
            I giochi del diavolo (TV Mini Series) (1979) - Directed 1 episode
            Fair point, and thanks for the interesting list (I wonder if any of those early shorts are worth a watch?)

Basically I was just thinking in terms of "his feature films which are actually good", so I tend to discount the westerns, and I've never bothered to obtain his 'Dr Goldfoot..' movie on a proper disc either (one viewing of that was plenty).

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
              An HD version of I Vampiri would be good.
              Yes please!

Comment

Excellent. I like SHOCK a great deal.
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Arrow's release should be announced tomorrow for a January release.

Comment

Announced!

https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/shock/13441463.html

In a career spanning four decades and encompassing virtually every genre under the sun, Mario Bava inspired multiple generations of filmmakers, from Dario Argento to Martin Scorsese and Tim Burton. Best remembered for his gothic horror movies, for his final feature, Shock, he eschewed the grand guignol excesses of Black Sabbath or Blood and Black Lace for a more intimate portrait of mental breakdown in which true horror comes from within.

Dora (Daria Nicolodi, Deep Red) moves back into her old family home with her husband, Bruno (John Steiner, Tenebrae), and Marco (David Colin Jr., Beyond the Door), her young son from her previous marriage. But domestic bliss proves elusive as numerous strange and disturbing occurrences transpire, while Dora is haunted by a series of nightmares and hallucinations, many of them involving her dead former husband. Is the house itself possessed? Or does Dora's increasingly fragile grip on reality originate from somewhere far closer to home?

Released in the United States as a sequel to Ovidio G. Assonitis's Beyond the Door, Shock more than lives up to its name, proving that, even at this late stage in his career, Bava hadn't lost his touch for terror. Now restored in high definition for the first time, the Maestro of the Macabre's chilling swansong disturbs like never before in this feature-laden release from Arrow Video.

Special Features

High Definition Blu-rayâ„¢ (1080p) presentation
                    Brand new 2K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative by Arrow Films
                    Original Italian and English front and end titles and insert shots
                    Restored original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks
                    Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
                    Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
                    New audio commentary by Tim Lucas, author of Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark
                    A Ghost in the House, a new video interview with co-director and co-writer Lamberto Bava
                    Via Dell'Orologio 33, a new video interview with co-writer Dardano Sacchetti
                    The Devil Pulls the Strings, a new video essay by author and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
                    Shock! Horror! - The Stylistic Diversity of Mario Bava, a new video appreciation by author and critic Stephen Thrower
                    The Most Atrocious Tortur(e), a new interview with critic Alberto Farina
                    Italian theatrical trailer
                    4 US “Beyond the Door II” TV spots
                    Image gallery
                    Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Christopher Shy
                    FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Troy Howarth, author of The Haunted World of Mario Bava

Click image for larger version

Name:	13441463-6674905972883539.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	360785
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You can also get it with a Beyond The Door II slip if that's your thing.

https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/s.../13447266.html

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I was wondering for a minute there why Arrow were releasing an alternate cut of the film as a seperate edition.... then realised it's just the same disc with different artwork. Eh, whatever.

Anyway, regardless, I'm very pleased that they're releasing this film with a decent sounding slate of extras at a regular/standard edition price point -- I'd been fearing another £35 job in a big cardboard sleeve full of unnecessary hoo-hah, so, uh, yeah - good. Consider it pre-ordered.

Comment

Ian Jane: "You can also get it with a Beyond The Door II slip if that's your thing."

Sadly, it is my thing. That's the version I ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by mjeon View Post
                            Ian Jane: "You can also get it with a Beyond The Door II slip if that's your thing."

Sadly, it is my thing. That's the version I ordered.
                            Hey, nothing wrong with that. I like that art better than the newly created art for the main release.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Not a fan of either artwork. Hoping it has a reversible sleeve with the Italian poster as per the cover of the Anchor Bay DVD.
                              agent999
                              Last edited by agent999; 10-31-2021, 01:58 PM.
                              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Working...
                              X