• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kino Lorber Releasing Baise-moi

Coming July 27th on Blu-ray & DVD from Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Baise-moi (2000)

• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
    • The Making of Baise-Moi: A Forty-Minute Documentary Featuring Interviews with Directors Virginie Despentes, Coralie Trinh Thi and Stars Karen Bach, Raffaí«la Anderson
    • Q&A Recording with the Directors
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
    • Optional English Subtitles

Color 77 Minutes 1.66:1 UNRATED

The shocking French thriller Baise-moi tells the story of two young women who go on a violent spree against a society in which they feel marginalized. One of them, Manu, is brutally raped by a group of savage thugs. The other, Nadine, sells her body but refuses to give up her soul. Chance unites them and together they decide to alter their destinies. Angry at the world, they embark on a twisted, rage-filled road trip, leaving a trail of mischief and dead bodies in their wake. Written and directed by Virginie Despentes (Bye Bye Blondie) and Coralie Trinh Thi from Despentes' novel, this raw, explosive film continues to stir controversy with its graphic mix of high-impact violence and explicit sex scenes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	171105438_1399093767100505_7844207492990119246_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	371580
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Cool!

- as in cool that it's coming to bluray. I got this on dvd way back and never thought it was all that great. It's basically an amateur flick that got some notoriety because of the blowjob scene, imo.

But it's been years and years since I last watched it, so maybe it's time to give it another shot. No pun intended. lol
    2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Awful movie.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

This was shot on bog standard, consumer-grade lo-fi videotape, wasn't it? I can't see the benefits of an HD presentation being huge.

I only saw this once, back in '00/'01, and wasn't too keen on it. The concept is superb, and some sequences work very well, but (imo) Despentes' and Trinh-Thi's filmmaking technique is... not the greatest. It felt clumsy more than angry, the home movie aesthetic working against it and the hardcore footage feeling very unnecessary and seemingly present largely to court controversy in the era of Romance, etc. Maybe I need to see it again, but I'm in no hurry to: knowing about the tragic death of Lancaume would make this hard to watch, and back in the day I had so many students write essays about this one because it was seen as 'edgy' (and probably celebrating it for all the wrong reasons) that I would find it hard to watch it with an unprejudiced eye.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
          This was shot on bog standard, consumer-grade lo-fi videotape, wasn't it? I can't see the benefits of an HD presentation being huge.
          I'm no expert on this, but in my opinion, even a lo-fi recorded film would benefit from a blu-ray release - if the original dvd release is a low res release. At least if you watch it on a big screen as many do today. I've rewatched old dvd's that from memory looked fine on a tube tv, but right out terrible on my 65" screen.
          2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

It was shot in PAL SD, so for anyone in NTSC territories, this would be a significant upgrade from DVD due to PAL being higher resolution than NTSC (576 lines of resolution Vs 480 lines). Not quite as much difference as if it had been shot in HD, but a considerable upgrade nonetheless.

Comment

This was released in Germany on blu-ray years ago, but because it wasn't English friendly I never checked out reviews of how it looked. A few have past since that release so things may have improved.

Comment

I vaguely remember this one. I may be wrong, but don't they wear rubbers? Pretty considerate rapists if so.
                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                  It was shot in PAL SD, so for anyone in NTSC territories, this would be a significant upgrade from DVD due to PAL being higher resolution than NTSC (576 lines of resolution Vs 480 lines). Not quite as much difference as if it had been shot in HD, but a considerable upgrade nonetheless.
                  You're right, Darcy. Being in the UK where PAL is our standard, I completely forgot about this.
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

You're right, Darcy. Being in the UK where PAL is our standard, I completely forgot about this.
                    I forget it myself, then I do something like watching 28 Days Later on a HD stream and kick myself for not upgrading my DVD copy.

Comment

Working...
                    X