Press release!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ggg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	371259

The Good Die Young
    Directed by Lewis Gilbert
    Starring Laurence Harvey, Stanley Baker, Joan Collins, Robert Morley and Gloria Grahame

Blu-ray/DVD release on 20 July 2020, and on iTunes and Amazon Prime on 3 August 2020

Boasting a stellar cast that also includes Gloria Grahame (The Bad and the Beautiful), Joan Collins (Cosh Boy) and Robert Morley (The Battle of the Sexes), this compelling crime picture is presented in both its original theatrical version and in an extended export cut (Blu-ray only), originally intended for international audiences.

Amoral aristocrat Miles Ravenscourt (Laurence Harvey, Room at the Top) plots a daring robbery to settle his gambling debts in this taut, tough thriller played out on the shadowy streets of post-war London. Enlisting the aid of washed-up former boxer Mike (Stanley Baker, Zulu), ex-GI Joe (Richard Basehart, Moby Dick) and US airman Eddie (John Ireland, Red River), Ravenscourt sets out to plan the perfect heist. But is there any such thing as a sure thing?

Special features
    • Newly remastered by the BFI and presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
    • The Good Die Young (export version) (1953, 101 mins, Blu-ray only): made available here for the first time, this extended overseas-only version of the film contains anti-establishment sentiments considered too strong for British audiences of the day
    • When Giants Fought (1926, 31 mins): a contentious but historic boxing match of 1810 is vividly revisited in this power-packed silent drama, with a newly commissioned musical score by Mordecai Smyth
    • Midnight Taxi (1946, 17 mins): a London cabby uncovers the city's secret nightlife in this surprising plug for post-war National Savings
    • Under Night Streets (1958, 20 mins): after the last tube has gone, an army of underground workers get busy down below
    • Not Like Any Other Director: Lewis Gilbert (1995, 31 mins): Michael Caine introduces the director of The Good Die Young in this excerpt from an onstage interview at London's National Film Theatre
    • Image gallery
    • ***FIRST PRESSING ONLY*** Illustrated booklet with an essay on the film by Dr Josephine Botting, a biography of Lewis Gilbert by Peter Rankin, notes on the extras and full credits

Product details
    RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1388 / 12
    UK / 1953 / black and white / 98 mins / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.66:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, 2.0 PCM mono audio (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/16-bit)

BFI DVD/Blu-ray releases can be ordered from home entertainment online retailers or from the BFI Shop (online only) at https://shop.bfi.org.uk/

About the BFI
    The BFI is the UK's lead organisation for film, television and the moving image. It is a cultural charity that:

• Curates and presents the greatest international public programme of World Cinema for audiences; in cinemas, at festivals and online
    • Cares for the BFI National Archive - the most significant film and television archive in the world
    • Actively seeks out and supports the next generation of filmmakers
    • Works with Government and industry to make the UK the most creatively exciting and prosperous place to make film internationally
    Founded in 1933, the BFI is a registered charity governed by Royal Charter. The BFI Board of Governors is chaired by Josh Berger CBE.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I've never seen this one. The couple of reviews I read are fairly middling, but it's darn near worth a shot based on that amazing cast alone. I'm always up for a caper flick as well, so I'll probably drop coin on this. Would love to hear thoughts from anyone here who's seen it.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
    X