AGFA Releasing The Embalmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGFA Releasing The Embalmer

"In the 1990s, Something Weird Video revolutionized the home video landscape by unleashing thousands of outlaw exploitation films on VHS. To this day, some of these mega-rare tapes include the best-available versions of movies that have fallen into a black hole of neglect. AGFA is thrilled to digitize and share some of our favorite titles from the Something Weird tape collection -- newly transferred from the original S-VHS masters.

A forgotten proto-giallo from Italy, THE EMBALMER (1965) is the wild story of a skull-faced slasher who wears a monk robe while stalking victims along the canals of Venice. What more could you want out of a movie?

This is a digital transfer of Something Weird's vintage master tape, complete with supplemental trailers and shorts. It will not be released on home video by AGFA and is only available here."

https://agfaamericangenrefilmarchive...s/the-embalmer
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Great premise but the execution is lacking. I always find this one to be pretty dull.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I've only seen it on one of those lousy 50 movie box sets, but I remember liking it. I guess the quality is too crap for a physical release.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I remember quite liking this one too, in a "fun for a rainy afternoon" kind of way. Quirky, krimi type vibes, nice Venetian locations and some odd frogman-goes-gothic imagery. I also recall the picture quality beng absolutely appalling, so will be interesting to see what AGFA have managed to wring out of it...

EDIT: having just watched their trailer at the above link, apparently the answer is "not very much".
        https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
        http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

The one eerie thing I did like was the way the killer displays his victims.

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Embalmer- 1965.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	357983
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

They should do a remake where he displays them in giant blister-packs with custom artwork designed to mimic the 1977 Kenner STAR WARS action figures. Maybe in one scene he could accidentally bonk one of the packages' corners and flip his shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
              They should do a remake where he displays them in giant blister-packs with custom artwork designed to mimic the 1977 Kenner STAR WARS action figures. Maybe in one scene he could accidentally bonk one of the packages' corners and flip his shit.
              Man, not the time for that joke. In my recent move, a box got flipped upside-down, and one of the few things in my figure collection that I was keeping mint on card got squished. Even worse, it was a gift from my brother.

Comment

30 yr old S VHS transfers simply have no business being transfered to dvd.
                Someone bump their head?
                https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                  Man, not the time for that joke. In my recent move, a box got flipped upside-down, and one of the few things in my figure collection that I was keeping mint on card got squished. Even worse, it was a gift from my brother.
                  To collect is to know pain. My sincere condolences.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
                    To collect is to know pain. My sincere condolences.
                    Thanks, man.

It is a super cool figure, and one a lot of people are surprised even exists. McFarlane did a recast of their NFL figure of Hines Ward, who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but in the uniform of the Gotham Rogues, as he was the player who runs the kickoff down the field as the stadium collapses in The Dark Knight Rises. Luckily, the figure is fine, so when I get some display shelving I will just open it up.

Comment

Retromedia long ago issued the Monster of Venice (aka Embalmer) on DVD on the basis of a 35mm print. It looks quite nice.

Comment

AGFA has many - if not all - of the S-VHS masters from SWV now. As they said, any of these they make available will not be on disc because they do not need to. They are trying to earn money however they can right now to help survive.

Comment

Working...
                        X