Le Cercle Rouge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le Cercle Rouge

Watched this one last night via the Studio Canal Region B Blu-ray as you can get it for less than $10 while the Criterion Blu is out of print and spendy. Anyway, I even now can't remember if I'd seen this before or not, but it's pretty great. Like the other films Melville made with Delon, it's slow and very, very methodical - it's more about the process than the results, but damn it all if it isn't really, really well made. Delon is his typically calm, cool and emotionless self, the way he is in the other films he made with JPM, but it works. Good supporting cast too, quite good actually.

It's a very stylish movie, but not to the point where the technical polish takes away from the storyline. Great cinematography, a fine score and some good twists.

Again, slow - deliberately so - and that might put some off but personally, I loved it. I wish Delon and Melville had more more than the three films they made together. Such a great team.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Delon is his typically calm, cool and emotionless self, the way he is in the other films he made with JPM, but it works.
    He never smiles. Someone should sneak up behind him and tickle him!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

An incredible film. I was lucky enough to see this at the cinema, via a 35mm screening, back in the early 2000s. I took along some friends who hated it. The heist, a riff on the heist sequence in Jules Dassin's RIFIFI, is amazing.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
        An incredible film. I was lucky enough to see this at the cinema, via a 35mm screening, back in the early 2000s. I took along some friends who hated it. The heist, a riff on the heist sequence in Jules Dassin's RIFIFI, is amazing.
        It's funny, as I was watching it I was thinking to myself 'I need to rewatch Rififi.' I have the Criterion Blu-ray and will dig it out for later this week.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I have the Criterion BD still sealed, bought it when it came out but haven't revisited it yet (I also have the Criterion dvd). The film is slow but that didn't bother me, the superb acting from the leads is just mesmerizing. So supremely cool to see Volonte' and Delon together. Yves Montand is awesome too. I will have to crack that seal one night soon.

I like RIFIFI as well but the be-all end-all heist film to me is THE ASPHALT JUNGLE.
          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

UHD release coming soon!

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...uge-uk-4k-uhd/

Click image for larger version

Name:	LCR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	358945
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I really wanted to like that one.
              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
                I really wanted to like that one.
                I feel similarly. It is a good film, just not as good as I kind of expected it to be given its status and praise from people whos taste I usually am in alignment with.
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Looks like there might be some issues with the UHD transfer.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Le-Ce...278627/#Review
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Lucas Ferrero sent this out on twitter. I would wear it on a t-shirt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rouge.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	392045
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I love Melville but somehow haven't got around to watching my Criterion DVD.

Comment

Working...
                      X