No announcement yet.

Vinegar Syndrome's Forgotten Gialli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the GIRL IN ROOM 2A was decent. It's a shame Rosalba Neri didn't get more screentime. She was wasted in this one.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	vs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	359415
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Wish I liked that one more, it's pretty threadbare and padded with endless, dull sex scenes. The setting (old mansion) plays more like a throwback to the gialli of the 1960s. It does have some (cheap looking) gore effects.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Details on Vol. 3

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collecti...i-volume-three

This limited edition and painstakingly crafted box set (designed by Earl Kessler Jr.) is limited to 6,000 units and is only available here at VinegarSyndrome.com!

In this third installment in our celebration of gialli which we feel have been overlooked during the home video age, we're proud to offer this trio of diverse and bloody offerings, all of which are making their worldwide Blu-ray debuts! All three films are presented in brand new and exclusive restorations of their original, uncensored, 35mm camera negatives. Vinegar Syndrome is proud to present the third entry in their 'Forgotten Gialli' series.

--

AUTOPSY:

A wave of sudden, violent suicides have gripped Rome and are being blamed on sun spots. Simona, a young pathologist with an unhealthy obsession with death, has become increasingly interested in this strange phenomenon. But with the discovery of the body of a young woman, an apparent victim of a self inflicted gunshot, Simona finds herself thrust into a terrifying mystery and conspiracy to cloak actual murders as suicides. And the nearer she comes to unraveling the truth, the more in danger she is to entering the sights of a deranged killer, who might be a lot closer to home than she realizes.

An expertly directed and at times staggeringly brutal thriller from Armando Crispino (The Dead Are Alive), AUTOPSY (which was made under the title 'Sun Spots' and released internationally as 'The Victim') stars Mimsy Farmer (Four Flies on Grey Velvet), Barry Primus (New York, New York), and Ray Lovelock (Let Sleeping Corpses Lie). Featuring stunning photography from veteran Italian DP Carlo Carlini (The Bloodstained Butterfly) and an acclaimed score from Ennio Morricone (A Lizard in a Woman's Skin), Vinegar Syndrome is proud to bring AUTOPSY to Blu-ray, fully uncensored and featuring its complete English and Italian language audio tracks fully intact.

directed by: Armando Crispino
          starring: Mimsy Farmer, Barry Primus, Ray Lovelock, Carlo Cataneo
          1975 / 100 min / 1.85:1 / English & Italian Mono

• Region Free Blu-ray
          • Newly scanned & restored in 2k from its 35mm original camera negative
          • Includes both the English and Italian language soundtracks
          • Archival theatrical introduction with director Armando Crispino
          • “Editing & Rhythm” - an interview with editor Daniele Alabiso
          • “The Autopsy Papers” - an interview with Francesco Crispino, film historian & son of director Armando Crispino
          • “Black Hole Sun” - a featurette on the career of director Armando Crispino
          • Original theatrical trailer
          • Alternate Italian titles & credits
          • Reversible cover artwork
          • Newly translated English SDH subtitles

--

MURDER MANSION:

On a dark and foggy night in the countryside, a group of apparent strangers all find themselves stranded at an old gothic mansion. Deciding to spend the night and look for help the following morning, the group pair off for bed. As the night wares on, increasingly strange events begin to occur, culminating in a murder. Tensions and suspicions rise, and fear mounts that the ghosts of the mansion have risen from the grave, especially when more bodies turn up...but is the explanation behind these ghastly events truly supernatural?

One of the best and most effective combinations of mid 60s style gothic Euro horror and early 70s flavored giallo intrigue, Francisco Lara Polpo's Spanish-Italian co-production, MURDER MANSION (originally titled 'The Mansion in the Fog') became a drive-in and late-nite TV hit in the US, during the mid 1970s. Never legally released in the United States on disc, Vinegar Syndrome proudly presents the Blu-ray premier of MURDER MANSION, newly restored in 4K from its original negative and includes its original Spanish soundtrack along with its English and nearly impossible to find Italian dubs.

directed by: Francisco Lara Polop
          starring: Evelyn Stewart, Analí­a Gadé, Lisa Leonardi, Andrés Resino, Yelena Samarina
          1972 / 86 min / 1.85:1 / Spanish, English & Italian Mono

• Region Free Blu-ray
          • Newly scanned & restored in 4k from its 35mm original camera negative
          • Includes the original Spanish language soundtrack with new English translations, as well as the English and Italian language dubs (Italian dub is not translated)
          • “Lady of the Mansion” - an interview with actress Ida Galli aka Evelyn Stewart
          • Newly translated English SDH subtitles for the original Spanish soundtrack

--

CRAZY DESIRES OF A MURDERER:

The Countess Ileana has just returned to her family's grand old castle, where her paralyzed father, an apparent clairvoyant, and strange younger brother, with an unhealthy interest in taxidermy, reside. Almost immediately after arriving, one of Ileana's friends, who's visiting the castle, is shockingly murdered and has her eyes plucked out of their sockets. While suspicion falls on Ileana's brother, a curious police inspector (Sicilian character actor Corrado Gaipa of THE GODFATHER and MY DEAR KILLER) begins to investigate, believing there to be more to the killing than meets the eye. However, his sleuthing proves no match for this maniac, as the body count steadily rises...

A delirious mix of gothic horror, sex drama, murder mystery, plus a whole lot of extracted eyeballs, Filippo Walter Ratti's CRAZY DESIRES OF A MURDERER (though known in Italy as the much more lurid 'The Morbid Vices of a Housekeeper') remains one of the forgotten treats of late 70s giallo cinema. Never released theatrically in the English speaking world and virtually unavailable on home video, Vinegar Syndrome is delighted to bring this trashy rarity to Blu-ray, newly restored in 4K from its 35mm original negative!

directed by: Filippo Walter Ratti
          starring: Corrado Gaipa, Roberto Zattini, Isabelle Marchall, Annie Carol Edel
          1977 / 89 min / 1.85:1 / Italian Mono

• Region Free Blu-ray
          • Newly scanned & restored in 4k from its 35mm original camera negative
          • “Crazy Memories of an Actor” - an interview with actor Giuseppe Colombo
          • Newly translated English SDH subtitles
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

What's the good word on MURDER MANSION?
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
              What's the good word on MURDER MANSION?
              It's old fashioned in a way - spooky old mansion setting and supposedly supernatural goings-on - but I think it's a lot of fun. Super gothic vibe. Great cast too, including Evelyn Stewart and Eduardo Fajardo. This is the film I'm most interested in from the set.

Comment

I like AUTOPSY although it kind of unravels at the end. MURDER MANSION I also like. Never heard of the other giallo. Might take a chance if the price gets in my wheelhouse.
                "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

I don't think CRAZY DESIRES has had a DVD release yet, has it? The last time I saw that was via the Redemption VHS release back in the 1990s. My memory of it is vague but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it at the time. I know I've been wanting to get the chance to revisit it for a number of years.
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

The blu-ray of Murder Mansion looks wonderful. Presumably based on the previous poor quality public domain copies, I had been under the impression that the film was black and white! Another thing that I hadn't noticed before is Lisa Leonardi, as the hitchhiker, is strikingly sexy. What happened to her?

In the bonus interview, the 80-some-year-old Evelyn Stewart looks lovely. She was clearly delighted to see the movie again and be interviewed. She's still entirely lucid, but has no specific memories of this film (except the discomfort of having face molds taken), because she was very busy working at the time. She does paint a happy picture of Italian actors in Spain. It's too bad that the interviewers were not agile enough to ask her about movies she did remember.
                    mjeon
                    Last edited by mjeon; 03-22-2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

MURDER MANSION is a revelation on the BD. It's like seeing a completely different film from those old PD eyesores. Also very cool to be able to watch it in Spanish. I've even grown to appreciate the Marcello Giombini score. Looking forward to watching the Evelyn Stewart interview this week.

Comment

Vol. 5 coming out 8/30/22.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collecti...li-volume-five

A WHITE DRESS FOR MARIALÉ:

When Marialé was a little girl, she witnessed her father murder her mother, along with an adulterous lover, before killing himself. Years later, Marialé has invited a group of friends over for a party at an isolated villa. As the festivities progress, an increased sense of debauchery and hedonism befalls the group, only for their perverse fun and games to be disrupted by the arrival of a mysterious killer, who begins dispatching the revelers in nasty fashion, all to cover up a secret buried deep in the past…

From the depraved mind of Romano Scavolini (Nightmares in a Damaged Brain) comes A WHITE DRESS FOR MARIALÉ, starring Euro-horror icons Evelyn Stewart (Murder Mansion), Luigi Pistilli (A Bay of Blood), and Ivan Rassimov (Jungle Holocaust). Made during the height of early 70s giallo fever, and taking cues from the psychedelic craze of the late 60s (complete with colorful scope photography by Scavolini himself) along with Italy’s burgeoning sexploitation market, Vinegar Syndrome is pleased to present A WHITE DRESS FOR MARIALÉ on Blu-ray, newly restored in 4K from its original Techniscope camera negative, and featuring an assortment of new and archival interviews with its cast and crew!

directed by: Romano Scavolini
                        starring: Evelyn Stewart, Luigi Pistilli, Ivan Rassimov, Pilar Velázquez
                        1972 / 90 min / 2.35:1 / Italian Mono with English subtitles

Additional info:

Region Free Blu-ray
                        Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative
                        “Forget This Movie” (20 min) - an interview with director Romano Scavolini
                        “A White Dress For Evelyn” (55 min) - an interview with actress Ida Galli
                        Audio essay by film historian and critic Rachael Nisbet (17 min)
                        Deleted scenes
                        Italian language original theatrical trailer
                        French language original theatrical trailer
                        Inside cover artwork
                        Newly translated English subtitles
                        --

TROPIC OF CANCER:

Fred and Grace Wright are vacationing in Haiti in the hope of repairing their failing marriage when they run into an old friend, Dr Williams. Excited to share the news of his latest work, Williams explains that he has developed a powerful aphrodisiac which doubles as a hallucinogen. Intrigued by their friend's discovery, the couple quickly find themselves embroiled in a high stakes plot to steal the drug, all the while a mysterious killer (or killers) begins viciously doing away with anyone who gets too close to uncovering the truth about the formula.

One of the strangest gialli, both in terms of setting and storyline, to emerge from the genre’s golden age, co-directors Edoardo Mulargia (Escape From Hell) and Giampaolo Lomi’s (The Barons) TROPIC OF CANCER takes an unconventional approach to the black-gloved-killer structure, adding in elements of high concept crime film and Fellini-esque surrealism. Gorgeously photographed in Techniscope by Marcello Masciocchi (The Murder Clinic), lushly scored by Piero Umiliani (Five Dolls For An August Moon), and starring Euro-sleaze stalwarts Anthony Steffen (The Night Evelyn Came out of the Grave), Anita Strindberg (Who Saw Her Die), and Gabriele Tinti (Endgame), Vinegar Syndrome is delighted to bring TROPIC OF CANCER to Blu-ray, featuring a fresh 4K restoration of its Techniscope camera negative!

directed by: Giampaolo Lomi, Edoardo Mulargia
                        starring: Anthony Steffen, Anita Strindberg, Gabriele Tinti, Umberto Raho
                        1972 / 95 min / 2.35:1 / Italian and English Mono

Additional info:

Region Free Blu-ray
                        Features both its original Italian language soundtrack and optional English dub
                        “Sex, Voodoo and Dictatorship” (33 min) - an interview with writer/director Giampaolo Lomi
                        Audio essay by film historian and critic Rachael Nisbet (18 min)
                        Outtakes
                        Alternate English title sequences
                        Italian language original theatrical trailer
                        English language original theatrical trailer
                        Inside cover artwork
                        --

NINE GUESTS FOR A CRIME:

Nine members of an extremely rich and hateful family have decided to have a month-long reunion on a remote island in the Mediterranean. No sooner than their arrival, old grudges, resentments, and feuds make themselves known, along with allusions to some more macabre events in their past. But when their boats are torched, thus stranding them without any connection to the mainland, it becomes clear that someone is not willing to let old wounds heal, a fact made all the more clear as bodies start to pile up…

One of the many gialli which loosely adapted Agatha Christie’s landmark novel, Ten Little Indians, prolific spaghetti western director Ferdinando Baldi’s (Texas, Adios) sole foray into the genre, NINE GUESTS FOR A CRIME, sets the action in a picturesque villa in Sardinia, while loading on sinister twists and nasty deaths. Starring John Richardson (Black Sunday), five time Oscar nominee Arthur Kennedy (Lawrence of Arabia), and Italian character actor Massimo Foschi (Jungle Holocaust), and featuring a score by Carlo Savina (The House of Exorcism), Vinegar Syndrome is excited to bring this suspense filled sleeper to Blu-ray, sporting a new 4K restoration of its original 35mm camera negative along with a fresh interview with one of the film’s few surviving participants.

directed by: Ferdinando Baldi
                        starring: John Richardson, Arthur Kennedy, Massimo Foschi, Caroline Laurence
                        1977 / 91 min / 1.85:1 / Italian and English Mono

Additional info:

Region Free Blu-ray
                        Features both its original Italian language soundtrack and optional English dub
                        “Giallo in Sardinia” (27 min) - an interview with actor Massimo Foschi
                        Audio essay by film historian and critic Rachael Nisbet (15 min)
                        Original theatrical trailer
                        Inside cover artwork
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The one set in Haiti sounds interesting. Anyone seen these?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                            I've got the French blu of Tropic of Cancer. A bit giallo, a bit mondo, a bit softcore. T​​he pretty scenery keeps it watchable. Not bad, but not great either. I also have the Scavolini one but I can't remember anything about it, which speaks volumes.
                            agent999
                            Last edited by agent999; 08-01-2022, 02:29 PM.
                            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                              I don't know the other two, but 'A White Dress for Mariale' is freakin' brilliant - a first-class gothic-tinged / psychedelic psychodrama.... or at least, that's my overriding memory (it's been a few years).

Watching the Camera Obscura DVD sent me off on a brief "Romano Scavolini is an overlooked genius" phase, but... I soon recovered.
                              https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                              http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

I enjoyed NINE GUESTS enough to rate it 7/10. But then I'm a sucker for anything that's a twist on Ten Little Indians. I have TROPIC OF CANCER, but haven't watched it yet. WHITE DRESS definitely peaks my interest enough to probably pick this set up.

Comment

Working...
                                X