TENEBRE Bluray (Arrow) and GOBLIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TENEBRE Bluray (Arrow) and GOBLIN!

has 17 minutes of GOBLIN live in Scotland recently. Presented in DTS stereo and DV quality, multi cam video. IT FUCKEN RUKES! My inner heavy-metal-prog-bogan dork has emerged, so I went out and drunk a bottle of port, fired up the Commodore Amiga with StarGlider while reading Cliver Barker and GOBLIN rocking out in the background!1

YOWZA!

..but overcoming that masturbation of nostaligia, the movie itself is a DUD! Bloody fucken DNR'd to shit and horrible 'grain' effect, as bad if not worse than the DJANGO BR in part! Arrow are hit and miss now in my mediocre eyes, considering I was more than impressed with THE BEYOND BD they did.

I guess it's how big a GOBLIN fan you are on this disc!
    Last edited by Goldberg; 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM.

And no one else has a BD of this one available, right? I actually happen to like the movie enough that I'd be interested in getting a good high def copy of it if there were one available. I guess there's a French disc around with a better transfer but that sounds like a hassle as I'm not sure if my Momitsu would be able to get past the forced subtitles.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldberg View Post
      ...the movie itself is a DUD! Bloody fucken DNR'd to shit and horrible 'grain' effect...
      Well, that's another movie on BD I wanted I now won't be buying. Arrow have successfully succeeded in getting exactly none of my money so far. Which is a pity, as they've got some good titles, which they appear (from online reviews across the board) to have stuffed up uniformly, across the board.

Good to hear the Goblin footage is decent. However, knowing how it came about and the accommodations the venue made for the "filmmakers", seventeen minutes of live footage isn't enough to get me to drop a hint of coin on this one. Especially considering it's the film I'd be buying it for, and that's been confirmed as rooted.
      Last edited by Mike T; 07-14-2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Yeah I love the film and bought it based on being impressed by THE BEYOND BD, pre-orded this and ah well, I'll just hafta download a decent BluRay torrent of the film - and the motherfuckers complain about 'piracy'! FEH!!!

Comment

Don't get me wrong, as I'm not knocking you for buying it. I really wanted that to be a decent release, as I might have finally purchased an Arrow disc against my own personal boycott of their product (which we don't need to go into on the forums) as Tenebrae is my favourite Argento film. But it's had such a checkered history on home video that I thought I would hold off and see what the reviews said first, as Arrow have had some "issues" with some of their titles due to the materials they've licenced. But when you're paying good money to import, you deserve a good product for your money.

The nail in the coffin, with me and Arrow, was what has widely been reported around the 'net concerning their release of Nico Mastorakis' Island of Death. Mastorakis is quoted as stating that he shot the film for an intended projection ratio of 1.85, and on the commentary track he again suggests that Arrow should mask off the image to 16:9 (1.78) as that was what he always intended. But what did they end up doing? Releasing it in an open-matte full-frame version like every other release of the film on home video since the days of VHS! When you've got the director telling you how a film was meant to be seen, and how he'd PREFER it to be seen, and you still choose to go and do your own thing regardless...well, something's rotten in Denmark, isn't it?

Comment

Coming soon.... another Arrow announcement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BVKUz05CUAA7q4_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	344285
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

According to the criterion forum here are the specs for TENEBRAE
              SPECIAL FEATURES:
              - Limited Edition SteelBookâ„¢ packaging featuring original artwork
              - Newly remastered High Definition digital transfer of the film
              - Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
              - Optional original English & Italian Mono Audio tracks (uncompressed PCM Mono 2.0 Audio on the Blu-ray)
              - Optional English subtitles for Italian audio and English SDH subtitles for English audio for the deaf and hard of hearing
              - Audio Commentary with authors and critics Kim Newman and Alan Jones
              - Audio Commentary with Argento expert Thomas Rostock
              - Introduction by star Daria Nicolodi
              - The Unsane World of Tenebrae: An interview with director Dario Argento
              - Screaming Queen! Daria Nicolodi remembers Tenebrae
              - A Composition for Carnage: Composer Claudio Simonetti on Tenebrae
              - Goblin: 'Tenebrae' and 'Phenomena' Live from the Glasgow Arches
              - Original Trailer
              - Exclusive collector's booklet featuring brand new writing by Alan Jones, author of Profondo Argento
              - More to be announced!

Released December 16th
              Region B
              I imagine that they are using the French master for this. Given that I'm still region locked, I'm gonna wait for Synapse's TENEBRAE Blu, but it is nice that Arrow is re-releasing this right (it be better if they offered an exchange for those that bought their shitty, first TENEBRAE Blu-ray.)

Comment

Does anyone know if there's any more recent news on the upcoming Arrow rerelease?
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                  Does anyone know if there's any more recent news on the upcoming Arrow rerelease?
                  All I know is that I think its now available to pre-order on zavvi.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                    All I know is that I think its now available to pre-order on zavvi.
                    Yep, it's £14-99. I have the French Blu but I'm tempted by Arrow's remaster. I'm hoping it'll be the be-all and end-all. If it looks as good as the French Blu, I'll be a happy bunny.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

I'm hoping it'll be the be-all and end-all.
                      Now then....you do know that there is NO SUCH THING in the world of home entertainment....dont you?

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                        Now then....you do know that there is NO SUCH THING in the world of home entertainment....dont you?
                        Oh, yes. I know that very well Let's just say, I hope it'll be the last version that I need to buy (intact, good presentation, both English and Italian tracks with 'proper' subtitles for the latter - which is one thing the previous Arrow disc, for all its other faults, 'did right').

Comment

Oh, yes. I know that very well Let's just say, I hope it'll be the last version that I need to buy (intact, good presentation, both English and Italian tracks with 'proper' subtitles for the latter - which is one thing the previous Arrow disc, for all its other faults, 'did right').
                          Haha...just so you know!!!

Fingers crossed this one works out well for ya!

Comment

A check disc of Arrow's remastered TENEBRE release dropped through my letterbox this morning. When the kids have gone to bed this evening, I'll have a quick scan through it and post some comments.

Comment

A check disc of Arrow's remastered TENEBRE release dropped through my letterbox this morning. When the kids have gone to bed this evening, I'll have a quick scan through it and post some comments.
                              Anything to report???

Comment

Working...
                              X