X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean-Paul Belmondo

Make recommendations!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Belmondo rocks! I wish I had a better grasp of his work, so this is a great idea for a thread.

My hands-down, top five are:

Breathless
    Classe Tous Risques
    Le Doulos
    Pierrot Le Fou
    Mississippi Mermaid

Two I really want to see - based on YouTube compilations that show him doing his own stunts - are:

The Burglers
    Peur Sur La Ville aka The Night Caller / Fear Over The City

Not sure how these hold up as complete movies though...

Comment

When I sober up, I'll contribute t this thread as a long-term Belmondo fan.

But superb stuntwork in LE PROFESSIONEL and LE MARGINAL. PEUR SUR LA VILLE is bloomin' phenomenal. LE CASSE (THE BURGLAR) is a damned good film; an excellent adaptation of the David Goodis novel.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
        When I sober up, I'll contribute t this thread as a long-term Belmondo fan.

But superb stuntwork in LE PROFESSIONEL and LE MARGINAL. PEUR SUR LA VILLE is bloomin' phenomenal. LE CASSE (THE BURGLAR) is a damned good film; an excellent adaptation of the David Goodis novel.
        I agree with my esteemed colleague here, and would like to ad Pierrot Le Fou, Borsalino and Breathless. But the ones mentioned by Paul are IMHO the best ones.

Why the suddent Belmondo cravings?
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
          Why the suddent Belmondo cravings?
          I've only recently seen his movies. We watched Breathless and two later movies that I don't know the names of that were recently released. He's ridiculously charming. We're going to look for more of his stuff this weekend.
          Alison Jane
          Girl Boss Jane
          Last edited by Alison Jane; 11-01-2019, 04:57 PM.
          Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

LE MAGNIFIQUE is great from what I remember, but I haven't seen it since the 80's. Looks like there's a R02 blu. PIERROT LE FOU is one of my top Godard films, and JPB is great in it.

There's a classic PDX store called Import Plaza that had a room with old, yellowing movie star posters like the classic W.C. Fields and Marx Bros. ones hanging on the wall, and there was a GREAT one of Belmondo with cigarette in mouth!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Miller View Post
              ...and there was a GREAT one of Belmondo with cigarette in mouth!
              The man does seem to like to smoke.
              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Seriously though - Le Doulos and Classe Tous Risques. If you liked Breathless, there's a very strong chance you'll like these (a lot) - ridiculously cool French Noir. Mississippi Mermaid, on the other hand, will be very familiar to anyone who suffered through the Antonio Banderas / Angelina Jolie potboiler, Original Sin - only with Belmondo and Denueve (and Truffaut directing) it's a pretty decent watch.

Comment

Weekend At Dunkirk (1964) is worth a watch, I think.

Two Women (1960) is a fine film. Belmondo in a supporting role.

That Man From Rio (1964) and Up To His Ears (1965) are amusing.

Stavisky... (1974). Belmondo in the title role. Pretty good.
                  George Barry
                  Last edited by George Barry; 11-10-2019, 04:48 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=ChicGandil;1963

Two I really want to see - based on YouTube compilations that show him doing his own stunts - are:

The Burglers
                    Peur Sur La Ville aka The Night Caller / Fear Over The City

Not sure how these hold up as complete movies though...[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the above films. They are both directed by Henri Verneuil, who directed Belmondo in six (or so) movies over twenty plus years. I liked The Burglars a bit more, perhaps because of Nicole Calfan and her wonderful gap toothed smile. Omar Sharif is very good in this. No Doctor Zhivago* here.

* That's not to say I don't like Omar Sharif as Doctor Zhivago. Just to say Sharif's character has a somewhat different attitude here.
                    George Barry
                    Last edited by George Barry; 11-11-2019, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Will be going through all of these recommendations tomorrow! Keep them coming!
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Originally posted by George Barry View Post
                        I enjoyed the above films. They are both directed by Henri Verneuil, who directed Belmondo in six (or so) movies over twenty plus years. I liked The Burglars a bit more, perhaps because of Nicole Calfan and her wonderful gap toothed smile. Omar Sharif is very good in this. No Doctor Zhivago* here.

* That's not to say I don't like Omar Sharif as Doctor Zhivago. Just to say Sharif's character has a somewhat different attitude here.

Henri Verneuil's THE SICILIAN CLAN is such a cool film.

As far as Belmondo goes, I also really like THE NIGHT CALLER and THE BURGLARS. The latter has a terrific Morricone score too!

Edit - Actually, I just recalled that Morricone also scored THE NIGHT CALLER, though I don't think it's as good as THE BURGLARS.
                        Andrew Monroe
                        Pallid Hands
                        Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 11-16-2019, 06:44 PM.
                        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I found Classe Tous Risques (BFI) and Mississippi Mermaid (Twilight Time) available on Blu-ray. Nobody has mentioned Léon Morin, príªtre which is also available on Blu-ray from Kino. Any seen/can recommend that?
                          Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I've always stayed away from that one because he plays a priest and priests in movies bore me unless they're being tortured and degraded by Satan.

In other words, I'm shallow.

Comment

Finally got around to watching Pierrot Le Fou last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. He and Anna Karina have that right kind of chemistry that, even when nothing is really happening, you want to keep watching them. The ending took me by surprise as well. Like most Goddard, it's needlessly artsy at times, but maybe better for it, certainly not worse. Lots of style here, some good humor and a whole lot of charisma.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X