Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synapse Releasing Suspiria On 4k UHD

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

SUSPIRIA, THE MOTHER OF ALL ITALIAN HORROR FILMS, COMES TO 4K UHD FROM SYNAPSE FILMS

On November 19th, Synapse Films is breaking new ground by entering the 4K UHD market as an independent label. Dario Argento's hallucinatory masterpiece SUSPIRIA will be presented in a two-disc UHD+Blu-ray package that blows every previous release of the movie out of the water. Synapse has gone back to the 4K scans that served as the source for their widely acclaimed Blu-ray presentation of the film and started from scratch in order to fully take advantage of the opportunities created by UHD. Synapse President Don May, Jr. says, “We went back to the original 4K files and did a new color correction that took full advantage of the UHD format's expanded color and high dynamic range capabilities.” You might have seen SUSPIRIA in the past, but now you can experience it in a whole new way!

Jessica Harper (PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN) stars in this frightening tale of a young student who uncovers dark and horrific secrets within the walls of a famous German dance academy. What spirals out from that simple premise is one of the most powerful and hallucinatory nightmares ever captured on celluloid!

Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA comes to home video from Synapse Films in an exclusive new 4K restoration from the original uncut, uncensored 35mm Italian camera negative with the original theatrical 4.0 English surround sound mix. Synapse Films' award-winning, beautifully restored version of Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA was completed with the supervision and approval of the film's Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli. Now available for the FIRST TIME EVER on home video in a true 2160p 4K presentation with High Dynamic Range and a new Dolby Atmos remix!

RELEASE WILL INCLUDE A 1080p BLU-RAY DISC OF SPECIAL FEATURES!

-A new 4K restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative exclusively done by Synapse Films, with color correction supervised and approved by SUSPIRIA Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli
    -Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96kHz/24-bit audio, with newly translated removable English SDH subtitles
    -All-new Dolby Atmos Remix and High Dynamic Range Presentation
    -Italian 5.1 surround mix, with removable English subtitle translation
    -Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars, Derek Botelho, David Del Valle and Troy Howarth
    -“Do You Know Anything About Witches?” - 30-minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie
    -“Suzy in Nazi Germany” - Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA
    -“A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA” - All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema
    -“Olga's Story” - Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi
    -Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
    -“International Classics” English “Breathing Letters” opening credit sequence from the U.S. release
    -Alternate All-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching
    -New O-Card/Reversible Slipcover art by Wes Benscoter

UHD 4K BLU-RAY SPECIFICATIONS:

VIDEO: Widescreen Anamorphic 2.39:1
    AUDIO: English Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD MA 4.0, Italian DTS-HD MA 5.1
    SUBTITLES: English
    REGION: ALL
    NOT RATED - COLOR - 98 MINS.
    RETAIL PRICE: $59.95
    UPC CODE: 654930321294
    FILE UNDER: HORROR

Click image for larger version

Name:	SUSPIRIA_UHD_2D_Wrap2skew.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	369943

Click image for larger version

Name:	SUSPIRIA_UHD_3D_OCard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	369944
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This is turning into the Evil Dead of....something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
      This is turning into the Evil Dead of....something.
      Exploit the fans for all they're worth. Remember it was but a year ago that people were asking Synapse why they weren't releasing on 4k given that they had the scan and Synapse replied that they didn't know whether it was commercially viable. Now that everyone who wants it already has that transfer in a 1080p format it is somehow more viable now than it was then... Maybe Synapse meant that the 4k scan was only viable if they got to sell it you twice. Of course, you were a sucker if you bought the 1080p version because this move was always going to happen but it still just pisses me off and it annoys that the fans allow it to continue.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

This needs HDR on top? I don't care who approved what, my personal view is that the Synapse colours are boosted to fuck and I don't like them. Add HDR and this is going to be eye melting. The existing UHD shows there's no extra detail in the UHD 4k presentation compared to the Synapse BD so that's not a purchase incentive. This one's for people that like staring into the sun.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
          This needs HDR on top? I don't care who approved what, my personal view is that the Synapse colours are boosted to fuck and I don't like them. Add HDR and this is going to be eye melting. The existing UHD shows there's no extra detail in the UHD 4k presentation compared to the Synapse BD so that's not a purchase incentive. This one's for people that like staring into the sun.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
          The existing UHD disc is from a garbage restoration, so don't be too sure there's nothing more that the Synapse image could reveal at full resolution.

Comment

A nice HDR grade should solve all of the problems the Synapse blu ray has. No more blown out highlights. I think I'll pick this one up.

Comment

I will definitely be getting this 4k disc because I never bought the blu ray. But if I had bought the blu ray like many of you I can see not buying it again.

Comment

Just under $30 shipped from Bull Moose. Yeah, I'm in for that.

Comment

If I had the equipment for 4K HDR, I'd be buying this ASAP!

Comment

4k kind of pisses me off last year I bought it and it had hdr10 which they said was going to be on all 4k discs but now some discs have Dolby vision and my tv and 4k uhd blu ray player aren't compatible. Just something that pisses me off

Comment

okay just looked at the price on Amazon for the new Synapse 4k uhd disc, and it's $60 what the hell, I won't be getting this one now, they must be fucking insane, not sure if Synapse came up with that price or if it was Amazon, but that price is just idiotic. But I will not take part of this massive rip off. its not even fun anymore collecting movies, everything is too expensive anymore, your average Arrow films release is now like $30 to get, I am about to disengage from movies, these kinds of prices make me want to just not even take part in this stuff.

Comment

I've bought a few 4k movies and love the upgraded quality, but I don't spend more than 20 dollars on them. And I've gotten some really fun titles....Christine, Starship Troopers, Predator, Alien...I get that Synapse is more nichey, but no goddam way would I spend 60 bucks on this.

Comment

As the market continues to shrink the prices will keep going on up and companies like Synapse will keep playing games like they have with this title. I hope we don't wind up in the situation where movies like this are only being released in $100 special editions, thus consigning great movies to being nothing more than collectors pieces for some sort of movie stockpiling elite. But it won't shock me if it happens.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                            As the market continues to shrink the prices will keep going on up and companies like Synapse will keep playing games like they have with this title. I hope we don't wind up in the situation where movies like this are only being released in $100 special editions, thus consigning great movies to being nothing more than collectors pieces for some sort of movie stockpiling elite. But it won't shock me if it happens.
                            That was the model that kept laserdisc going for two decades, maybe it has some merit to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                              I get that Synapse is more nichey, but no goddam way would I spend 60 bucks on this.
                              That's just MSRP nonsense, though. Like, it's $32, shipping included, from Bullmoose.

Comment

Working...
                              X