No announcement yet.

Some BIG news for Hammer fans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Happy to report that The Mummy Blu-ray (to my eyes for what its worth) has a stunning transfer, and its up there with the best of the hammer transfers thus far.

Comment

• Has this been mentioned here - VCI has kind of quietly released THE LADY VANISHES (1979). Saw it mentioned at the CHFB. Not of interest to me but Hammer completists perhaps...Someone who has it says it's anamorphic 2.35:1 and very nice looking.

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I'm almost done watching the new Blu-ray release of THE MUMMY (taking a quick tea break) and I'm very happy with it. I found the releases of Fisher's CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA tolerable, if frustrating; but THE MUMMY is miles ahead of both of those releases. (For the record, I'm watching the 1.66:1 presentation.)

Looking forward to digging into STOLEN FACE too!
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• You seem more tolerant of mishandled transfers than some of us, Paul, although you were quite right about The Reptile and Plague of the Zombies and I'm sure you're right about The Mummy.

I've held off buying Dracula Prince of Darkness because I'm afraid it might upset me.
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
            You seem more tolerant of mishandled transfers than some of us, Paul,
            To some extent and depending on the circumstances, I probably am. I could see the flaws with both THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA: the issues with the latter I still think could be traced to the use of a digital rather than photochemical restoration - and I still have a strong suspicion that the US prints had a different look to the UK prints, with the Warner Bros presentations representing the former (the Warner VHS and DVD transfers had little resemblance to the 35mm print I remember seeing in the 1990s - the Lionsgate disc was closer to this but far from perfect due to the 'overzealous' blue, which I suspect is an issue with the digital restoration failing to be able to capture the nuances of the Technicolor aesthetic). FRANKENSTEIN was the most disappointing out of the two, for me: there was no reason for the widescreen transfer to be mishandled. That was an utter bodge job. Still, I think both are acceptable as 'stop gaps' until something better comes along, and I've kind of allowed myself to come to a Zen-like acceptance of the fact that no digital presentation of a film can ever be anything more than a digital simulacrum of the experience of viewing a film 'properly' (ie, watching film-on-film) - although certainly, some presentations can be better than others. Coming to that conclusion is certainly better for my blood pressure.

On the other hand, I don't think there are any such issues with THE MUMMY. It's got crisp, naturalistic photography that's offset by some visually dramatic setpieces (the bog scenes look very impressive on this release). It's quite an 'earthy' film visually. Compositions on the 1.66:1 version look fine too. It's probably not without its subtle problems, and a closer viewing may reveal them (I noticed a small handful of shots that had an odd hazy softness to them, but this may be owing to damage, etc), but I'd say this is certainly in the top-middle tier of the Hammer releases so far - not quite up to THE REPTILE or THE PLAGUE OF ZOMBIES but definitely not far off.

I can't 'do' Blu-ray grabs, but if you'd like, I can produce some grabs from the DVD presentation and upload them this evening.
            Paul L
            Scholar of Sleaze
            Last edited by Paul L; 10-18-2013, 08:37 AM.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

• On a slight tangent, has anyone seen the Aussie BDs of FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN, FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL and QUATERMASS yet? I'm interested in buying all of these, but they're quite pricey - as Australian discs have a tendency to be.
              Paul L
              Scholar of Sleaze
              Last edited by Paul L; 10-18-2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Paul, I'm gonna go direct with Screenpop (Shocks film outlet) in Autralia. FATMFH looks nothing less than superb. FCW looks a little weaker but Is still supposed to be pretty sharp.

Comment

• Some BIG news for Hammer fans!

I have the entire Aussie run on order and am eagerly awaiting them.

Comment

• Sadly, several oif the Aussie titles ( FATMFH & QUATERMASS ) are 1080i for no discernable reason and this is a deal breaker for me.
                    Gotta wait for these new releases to come out in another region and hopefully in 1080p.
                    I was planning on getting the 11 title JB HiFi box set next month until I found out about the 1080i transfers.
                    https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

• John, no offence intended here, but I just want to say something. What difference does it make if its 1080i or 1080p if the Transfer looks superb as FATMFH does. After all, in the days of dvd or vhs I'm sure you would have been content with a decent transfer. I think sometimes, there is too much expectation. If this was the only way it was going to get released, worldwide then surely as a Hammer fan, you wouldnt boycott a release with a great transfer, as FATMFH has been confirmed to have?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                        Paul, I'm gonna go direct with Screenpop (Shocks film outlet) in Autralia. FATMFH looks nothing less than superb. FCW looks a little weaker but Is still supposed to be pretty sharp.
                        The grabs I've seen of MONSTER FROM HELL look splendid; and these are my two favourites of Terence Fisher's Frankenstein pictures, so these are no-brainers for me. I might try Screenpop: I didn't realise they shipped to the UK. (And nowhere else seems to be selling these for less than $24 or thereabouts.)

Comment

• Ezydvd had them as well, but I think they are now out of stock

Comment

• The monster doesn't work for me. The monster is so wrong in concept that it undermines what is an otherwise remarkable film. The idea of a slightly mad Dr. Frankenstein taking over an asylum doesn't need a monster. It needs something else -- brain surgery, perhaps, picking up where Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed left off as in using Dr. Brandt's notes to get the job done right on the inmates. Let Dr. Frankenstein succeed 100% for a change within the confines of an asylum for the criminally insane. His achievement will never travel beyond these walls, unless .... Think about what this means for the patients, on the patients. The Neanderthal monster brings the whole edifice down.

That having been said, I look forward to a right & proper hi-def transfer because I love what Fisher and Grant do here visually, and Cushing is at his very best. If I weren't a Hammer completist ....

Comment

• I want to get rid of an extra copy of Studio Canal's region B QUATERMASS AND THE PIT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...seller=&sr=1-3

still sealed in the shrink wrap. A perfect hi-def transfer, just astounding quality. The only perfect Hammer blu-ray.

If anyone stateside needs it, PM me.

Comment

• From the Hammer Lovers FB group:

"I've just had a message from Dave Wilson at Final Cut Entertainment, saying that they are looking at the possibility of releasing both THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF and THE KISS OF THE VAMPIRE on blu-ray (with extras, of course)

It's currently only at the planning stage, as they are still assessing the viability of the HD masters offered to them by Universal, but the very fact they're looking into it suggests that sales of BRIDES OF DRACULA and EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN were good."
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X