Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    From the Hammer Lovers FB group:

"I've just had a message from Dave Wilson at Final Cut Entertainment, saying that they are looking at the possibility of releasing both THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF and THE KISS OF THE VAMPIRE on blu-ray (with extras, of course)

It's currently only at the planning stage, as they are still assessing the viability of the HD masters offered to them by Universal, but the very fact they're looking into it suggests that sales of BRIDES OF DRACULA and EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN were good."
    I'm in the Hammer Lovers group and didn't notice that. That's great news if it happens.

Comment

• Further information has been posted on Monsters from Hell facebook page

CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF/KISS OF THE VAMPIRE BLU-RAY RELEASES BY FINAL CUT.

Final Cut Entertainment, are planning on releasing the above two Hammer classics on Blu-ray. The following is a brief outline of where they are at the moment:

Tech Specs:
      CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF
      The newest master is an HD 16x9 2:01 LB --- There is an older HD 16x9 1:85
      LB but Universal don't recommend this.

The extras that were on the steelbook edition would be included plus a completely new sleeve image & subtitles for the hard of hearing.

KISS OF THE VAMPIRE

HD 16x9 1:85 LB master only

This would have been 1:66 in the UK but this does not exist in HD.

Extras would be included & subtitles for the hard of hearing

Comment

• A hot poker in the eye to Universal and these damn 2.00 transfer on CURSE ( & BRIDES, NIGHT CREATURES & PHANTOM).
        Very curious to see how these turn out, but expectations are dialed back. Thanks for the updated info.

In other Hammer news, that Aussie JB HiFi exclusive 11 BD Box set is due out Nov. 20 and can be pre ordered for $95 ( $133.35 shipped to the US ).
        Despite my groaning about the 1080i transfers on some of these, I pre ordered the box. At $10 a disc, it's a pretty good deal.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/d...blu-ray/693335

1. DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS
        2. PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES
        3. QUATERMASS AND THE PIT
        4. RASPUTIN: THE MAD MONK
        5. THE DEVIL RIDES OUT
        6. THE MUMMY'S SHROUD
        7. THE REPTILE
        8. FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL
        9. FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN
        10. THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT
        11. THE WITCHES
        THE WORLD OF HAMMER (DVD)

Special Features:
        Audio Commentaries
        Behind The Scenes Footage
        Never Before Seen 'Hammer Glamour' Documentary
        Original Restoration Comparisons
        Original Trailers
        Bonus Films 'Quatermass II' and 'X The Unknown'
        https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL has popped up for streaming in HD on Netflix US.

Comment

• Looks like Frankenstein Created Woman will be getting a Blu-ray release in the US from Millennium on 1/14/14.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              Has this been mentioned here - VCI has kind of quietly released THE LADY VANISHES (1979). Saw it mentioned at the CHFB. Not of interest to me but Hammer completists perhaps...Someone who has it says it's anamorphic 2.35:1 and very nice looking.

VCI's DVD of THE LADY VANISHES is a clean sharp transfer, 2.35-1 anamorphic, with two audio options (including 5.1). The transfer brings out the lovely color and texture of Douglas Slocombe's photography. This is a well-produced remake, brightly and smartly directed by Anthony Page (THE MISSILES OF OCTOBER, I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN, Masterpiece Theater), with money spent on period detail and locations. Angela Lansbury is the perfect choice for Mrs. Froy as are Ian Carmichael and Arthur Lowe as Charters & Caldicott. Herbert Lom brings his impeccable style to the doctor role. I realize that the casting of American stars Elliott Gould and Cybill Shepherd probably got Hammer their funding, and the two actors do their best, but their presence undermines the piece for me. Their modern-ness takes me right out of the film. There is too much overt comedy and not enough restrained tongue-in-cheek. Knowing what I know about Michael Carreras, I think he must have been pleased with this film and I would liked to have seen Hammer attempt more films of this type. All in all I enjoy the film.

My complaint is not with the film or the transfer but the authoring, or encoding of the disc. The disc is so poorly authored that there is frequent interlacing and when the train moves, it makes a jerky motion. A similar problem befell THE DEADLY COMPANIONS, another superb transfer spoiled by a cheaply authored disc. In fact, the entire Rank Organization Collection of classic English films released by VCI consists of superb transfers ruined by cheaply authored discs.

When is VCI going to get their act together?
              Richard--W
              a straight arrow
              Last edited by Richard--W; 11-17-2013, 04:46 AM.
              "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
              - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Press release and cover art for US release of Frankenstein Created Woman!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankenstein_Created_Woman.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	344698
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
                  A hot poker in the eye to Universal and these damn 2.00 transfer on CURSE ( & BRIDES, NIGHT CREATURES & PHANTOM).
                  Very curious to see how these turn out, but expectations are dialed back. Thanks for the updated info.

In other Hammer news, that Aussie JB HiFi exclusive 11 BD Box set is due out Nov. 20 and can be pre ordered for $95 ( $113.35 shipped to the US ).
                  Despite my groaning about the 1080i transfers on some of these, I pre ordered the box. At $10 a disc, it's a pretty good deal.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/d...blu-ray/693335

1. DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS
                  2. PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES
                  3. QUATERMASS AND THE PIT
                  4. RASPUTIN: THE MAD MONK
                  5. THE DEVIL RIDES OUT
                  6. THE MUMMY'S SHROUD
                  7. THE REPTILE
                  8. FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL
                  9. FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN
                  10. THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT
                  11. THE WITCHES
                  THE WORLD OF HAMMER (DVD x 2)

Special Features:
                  Audio Commentaries
                  Behind The Scenes Footage
                  Never Before Seen 'Hammer Glamour' Documentary
                  Original Restoration Comparisons
                  Original Trailers
                  Bonus Films 'Quatermass II' and 'X The Unknown'

Wow, the price has dropped to $72 as of right now. And EzyDVD has it for $60 pre order, but they can't sell theirs until Feb 2014.
                  https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I wish somebody would release A CHALLENGE FOR ROBIN HOOD (1967) on DVD or blu in the states. I had a great time at the matinee with this film when I was 9 years old. Too young to get the satire.

Name:	ChallengeForRobinHood-1967.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	344796

Comment

• Hammer's first Robin Hood film was THE MEN OF SHERWOOD FOREST (Exclusive Films, 1954). It was pretty good and more than held its own against Disney's rival production, and historical version, THE STORY OF ROBIN HOOD AND HIS MERRIE MEN (1952). The entire film is on youtube in excellent quality. I guess that's why it's not on DVD:

Comment

• Some pictures of that Australian Hammer Blu-ray set from the Peter Cushing Appreciation Society!

Name:	01.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	344990

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	344991

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	344992

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	344993
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• For those who didn't get the Synapse release, Network has Hands Of The Ripper coming to Blu-ray in the UK soon... 6/9/14.

"A quintessential Hammer Horror from director Peter Sasdy (Taste the Blood of Dracula, Countess Dracula), Hands of the Ripper is a fascinating and terrifying spin on the Jack the Ripper legend, featuring outstanding performances from both Eric Porter, as a doctor investigating a series of grisly murders, and Angharad Rees as the pretty, frail murder suspect. Hands of the Ripper is featured here in a High Definition transfer made from original film elements in its as-exhibited theatrical aspect ratio.

When a fake psychic is gorily murdered, Dr. John Pritchard cannot bring himself to believe that the only suspect - a girl called Anna - is capable of such an awful act. Pritchard takes her into his care but, as further horrific murders take place, can he act in time to stop the trail of slaughter?

SPECIAL FEATURES
                          [] Audio commentary with Angharad Rees and horror historians Kim Newman and Stephen Jones
                          [] Original theatrical trailer
                          [] Image gallery including promotional material
                          [] Commemorative Booklet PDF by Stephen Jones"

Name:	hands-of-the-ripper.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	345098
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• ANOLIS blu release TWINS OF EVIL mediabooks and standard

Name:	37009_gf.jpg
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	345111 Click image for larger version

Name:	37005_gf.jpg
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	345112 Click image for larger version

Name:	37006_gf.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	345113

Comment

• VCI is releasing Terrence Fisher's Man Bait on 4/15/14.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Terror Street is due the same day.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X