Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE (Jean Brismée, 1971) - Mondo Macabro, Jan 2019

*** A Cinema Arcana Exclusive! ***

“Nothing in your wildest imagination can prepare you for what happens!” And you'll see it all in Jean Brismée's Eurohorror classic THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE (1971), getting its worldwide Blu-Ray debut from Mondo Macabro!

A group of seven tourists exploring Europe by bus find themselves stuck in a castle when they miss a planned ferry ride. The keep's owner welcomes the company, but alludes to a family curse passed down through the generations. As his guests rest, they find themselves visited by a beautiful woman with an uncanny ability to discover their most private vices - and not all of them are going to make it through the night without giving in to their deadly sins. Unfortunately, this castle's got a bit of a succubus problem, and their deepest desires may just get them killed in the most violently creative ways.

A Belgian / Italian co-production, THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE is a wonderfully lurid piece of '70s cult cinema by one-and-done director Jean Brismée. Its mixing of gothic trappings with the decade's expected doses of gore and nudity make for a thoroughly entertaining watch, unless you have something against basement decapitations, bloody impalements, completely necessary lesbianism and Nazi-conceived baby stabbings, that is. Erika Blanc is a joy as the inviting demoness; her ability to go from striking beauty to vile creature in the blink of an eye is never less-than-impressive. Uniquely-featured character actor Daniel Emilfork gets an important role as a carriage driver who may also have something to hide. Briskly paced with a solid body count—each character has a story, each character has a sin—THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE has long been a fan favorite, and in dire need of an HD rescue.

In 1972, THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE hit Stateside screens courtesy of Hemisphere Pictures. The outfit would keep the film in circulation over the next several years, usually paired with Sidney Hayers' British giallo IN THE DEVIL'S GARDEN (aka Assault, 1971). Exploitation distributors Motion Picture Marketing got a hold of the title in 1980, redubbing it VAMPIRE PLAYGIRLS for a fresh theatrical run with a salacious ad campaign that promised, “They bite. They squeeze. They're ready to please.” The video era wasn't much kinder, as a tangled rights scenario led multiple companies to issue their own tapes under a myriad of titles and various levels of completeness. In those pre-internet days, you could feasibly swing by your VHS rental shop and come home with copies of THE DEVIL WALKS AT MIDNIGHT, SUCCUBUS and CASTLE OF DEATH, only to find out they were all the same movie! It took Redemption Films to finally give THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE its first respectable release; in 1998, they offered a gorgeous-for-the-time uncut transfer across three mediums: VHS, laserdisc and a fledgling format known as DVD. It was a godsend. But… that was it. Rights complications reared their head. No remastered editions. No Blu-Ray upgrades. Just a 20-year-old non-anamorphic master, recycled over and over again. Until now.

Mondo Macabro's Blu-Ray represents the film's worldwide HD debut, replacing that decades-old print with a brand new restoration from the uncut negative, with both English and French language tracks. They've also tracked down director Jean Brismée for his first ever interview, second unit director Robert Lombaerts shares his memories in another talk, and legendary underground filmmaker Roland Lethem discusses the Belgian filmmaking scene in the '70s. The always-entertaining Troy Howarth contributes another audio commentary track. There may even be a few more surprises when the disc hits the streets. As tradition dictates, there will first be a red case Limited Edition that includes a reversible cover, a set of liner notes from Pete Tombs and some lobby card reproductions. I'm sharing Gilles Vranckx's amazing front cover illustration now. This is seriously a monumental release for Eurotrash fans.

Currents plans are to offer THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE for sale around the second week of January. At the same time, Mondo Macabro will also be taking orders for the first release in their new American Arcana line - a previously-announced pairing of '70s sexploitation roughies co-branded with Something Weird Video: Byron Mabe's THE BUSHWHACKER (1968) & Charles Nizet's THE RAVAGER (1970). For more details on that particularly diseased double-bill, check the comments section for a link to our previous announcement.

Expect more news about Mondo Macabro's 2019 slate very soon - watch this space!

A Cinema Arcana Exclusive © Bruce Holecheck, 2018

One of my top ten most wanted.
    Mondo Macabro is easily my favorite company now.
    Koukol
    Last edited by Koukol; 12-04-2018, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I love this movie to an absolutely unreasonable degree. I also have a serious crutch on Ms Blanc despite finding her kinda funny looking. Would love to be able to get this restoration.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
        nice, that's a big one from my wishlist! somehow I'm really glad now kino/redemption couldn't pull it off and release it. I have a feeling maybe mondo macabro will release it in the US(?) ... there are parallels ... both of them will be releasing blood spattered bride 4k, MM selling subkultur releases through their cartel store. I could imagine them working together to get this off the ground.
        told ya!

Comment

This news almost gave this old man a boner.
          "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

I've never seen this one. It'll be a great way to see it for the first time.
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I have the old print, it's not too bad but faded, the BD should be a lot better.
              Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

I haven't seen this in over 20 years. I recall thinking it was pretty good, something different. I'll be picking this up when the standard retail version comes out.

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                I also have a serious crutch on Ms Blanc despite finding her kinda funny looking.
                Dom, I never doubted the seriousness of your crutch for a second.
                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I should re-watch this.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                    Damn it!
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Perfect! Thanks Mondo Macabro. But please no mpeg-2 and lossy dolby digital on this like Bloodlust.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post

I thought that was Australian slang.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                          I thought that was Australian slang.
                          Noi just auto correct and sleep deprivatrion working together in perfect harmony.

Comment

The Devil's Nightmare is one I'm only familiar with by title. Seen it around forever but not sure I've ever read a single thing about the film but want to see it simply based on that title.

Comment

Pre-order date for this is Thursday, January 24th. Mark your calendars!

Comment

Working...
                              X