Possum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possum

A disgraced children's puppeteer must confront his sinister stepfather and a hideous puppet he keeps hidden in a brown leather bag in order to escape the dark horrors of his past.

Directed by Matthew Holness
    Starring Sean Harris and Alun Armstrong

Dark Sky Films has this for US distribution.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Good to see something new from Matthew Holness, hadn't heard of him for a while.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Looks interesting. Reminds me of Cronenberg's Spider.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Dark Sky is giving it a limited theatrical run and VOD release on 11/2 after it gets a premiere at the Brooklyn Horror Festival on 10/12.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Watched this today. Grim and haunting, I liked it a lot. Alun Armstrong was excellent. The locations felt very 'real' to me - the sort of spaces that seem to dot about the landscape in provincial working class towns of the kind that I grew up in. I need to see this again to let the whole thing sink in, and it reminded me very strongly of something else - or maybe the curiousness of the film provoked a strong sense of deja vu in me.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
            Watched this today. Grim and haunting, I liked it a lot. Alun Armstrong was excellent. The locations felt very 'real' to me - the sort of spaces that seem to dot about the landscape in provincial working class towns of the kind that I grew up in. I need to see this again to let the whole thing sink in, and it reminded me very strongly of something else - or maybe the curiousness of the film provoked a strong sense of deja vu in me.

I really wanted to like this, but Possum ultimately left me cold. It is well shot and acted, with, as Paul says above, a real eye for the abandoned hinterlands of provincial towns (the desolate army barracks, lonely rows of garages, etc), but I felt Holness relied too much on this dread-landscape to conjure his atmosphere. It all felt a little fetishized to me. Mind you, I felt the same about Ghost Stories too, so I'm obviously a hard man to please! As I said on another forum, this would have made a great little short (and it does recall in it's imagery some of the great, nightmarish stuff Channel 4 used to show on the Shooting Gallery), but the running-time killed it for me. Possum itself was a great little creation though. Especially if your an arachnophobe like myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Deltoid View Post
              a real eye for the abandoned hinterlands of provincial towns (the desolate army barracks, lonely rows of garages, etc), but I felt Holness relied too much on this dread-landscape to conjure his atmosphere. It all felt a little fetishized to me. Mind you, I felt the same about Ghost Stories too,
              That's a really interesting point, and I have to admit that I'm a sucker for those kinds of landscapes myself and probably often end up fetishising them myself in my photographic work - which is possibly why both this and GHOST STORIES 'spoke' to me. (It's also arguably a little like the manner in which Lawrence Gordon Clark fetishises the coastal landscape in his adaptation of 'A Warning to the Curious', for example, which I also love.)
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

The UK has this film on bd but Dark Sky did it as a dvd..? DiabolikDVD has both; the blu is all reg.

The film looks interesting, for sure. I like spiders.

What is 'Ghost Stories'?

Comment

Originally posted by Keeth View Post
                  What is 'Ghost Stories'?

and: http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...Stories-(2017)

Comment

Watched this on Prime over the weekend, it's interesting. Reminded me of David Lynch in spots. Like Mr. Deltoid said, the 'possum' is creepy as hell. The story is decent, maybe they over-explained things a bit at the end? Either way, interesting visuals, good acting and a genuinely weird atmosphere. I think it worked. Not a masterpiece but worth seeing.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                    X