No announcement yet.

The Cannibal Holocaust Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, both reviews are good for pictures and that's about it! And agreed on the screenshot -- that's a pretty awful digital correction flaw.

10kbullets stopped being of any interest to me once I noticed that one of their main writers appears to "borrow" liberally from your (Ian's) reviews. And as for Film 365, it's run by one of the moderators/shills at Cult Labs, so objectivity or accurate technical data therein appears often forfeited over staying on their PR firm's screener list (as an example, look at the sidebar vs. main review text: sidebar lists LPCM audio and the review states DTS-MA; also the "picture" part of the review tells you nothing, and completely overlooks the fact that the "found footage" was shot 16mm then blown up to 35mm - instead making some obscure commentary/reference to The Blair Witch, which was shot on video not film). Mind you, in the case of the latter, this is one of the same people that stated they watch the film and don't spend their time with "their nose pressed up against their TV looking for faults"!

All up, two utterly useless "reviews" -- but fortunately there are screenshot images present in both cases for the more seasoned (read: unbiased) consumer to make an informed purchasing decision. ;)

PS: I think we'll start seeing more honest appraisals of the disc once people who have actually paid for their copy start writing about it.
    Last edited by Mike T; 10-03-2011, 07:58 AM.

Comment

DVD Beaver has a review up too - aren't those the same screen caps that were posted on the CL board?
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        ...aren't those the same screen caps that were posted on the CL board?
        Well spotted! They're the identical screenshots that were posted there. Hmmm, me thinks there's some skullduggery going on here... :think:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T View Post
          instead making some obscure commentary/reference to The Blair Witch, which was shot on video not film).
          A combination of video and 16mm in fact - but agree with you 100% on everything else.
          Let's just get high and fuck some sluts

Comment

TBH...not to say that companies shouldn't supply screeners in advance to get the word out about their releases prior to street-date, as they should. But from my impression, excepting a few more honest sites like this one, there's an awful lot of people out there with limited technical knowledge and/or ability writing these useless "fence-sitting" reviews that tell us the consumer nothing, but seem to serve the sole purpose of keeping them on some distributor's screener list for freebies. I hate to say it, but it's really starting to piss me off.

I, as a consumer, want to read about the whole release. I'd like to know a bit about the film (in the rare instance where I don't), and what else is on the disc if anything...but I also want to read accurate and objective assessments of how it's going to look and sound on my home theatre system once I've shelled out my hard-earned cash for it. I don't want to read empty platitudes, and vague "skimming the surface" prose that tells me absolutely nothing. Nobody has loads of disposable income anymore (thanks GFC!), and no-one wants to pay good money for something only to get it home and find out it looks and sounds like crap.

That's why these "cash for comment" type reviews we see more and more of are so utterly useless -- fine, we get it, you don't want to be too objective because you're shit-scared the labels will cut off your freebies. But as almost two decades in retail taught me, honesty is the best policy when it comes to consumer goods. And if you're going to lie about the product, or misrepresent it, then that's going to come back and bite you on the arse. Big time...

Comment

And, just by comparison, to show how backward things down here in Oz have started regressing with relation to censorship...

Heavily cut version of A Serbian Film now Banned after being available for over a month on DVD across Oz

...I tell you, this country is becoming frickin' hopeless these days when it comes to film, and gaming, censorship matters. We've almost regressed back a mindset in tune with what went on before the seventies and things actually freed up more than most Western democracies. This one now proves a slippery slope, because if they can ban a film already classified (albeit in cut form) that was on general release nationally, that means they can do the same with anything else they deem "objectionable" retroactively...

Britain may have joined the real world, but Australia's moving back into the dark ages.
              Last edited by Mike T; 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

That sets a very dangerous precident.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T View Post
                  Well spotted! They're the identical screenshots that were posted there. Hmmm, me thinks there's some skullduggery going on here... :think:
                  Which thread/caps are we talking about at CL and Dvd Beaver? Eric (ecc) posts occasionally at CL and does reviews for Gary, so it's possible the original caps (which I didn't find, beyond the ones posted by CL themselves and are different). Eric does give honest reviews, good and bad, so there's no funny biz that he's doing.

Comment

Indeed. There was a very good article in one of the local newspapers in the last few days about where our censorship might be headed...

An internet filter is censorship gone mad

It's an opinion piece, but it gives a (very) brief overview to what's been occurring here of late. There are many who are suggesting we're almost leaning into an era of state-controlled censorship ala China. As someone who lives in a Western democracy, and an active voter, these trends concern me - being that we weren't quite so censorious not that long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                      Which thread/caps are we talking about at CL and Dvd Beaver?
                      A couple of the screenshots in the DVD Beaver review were identical to the ones posted in the Cult Labs forums, ala...

Screenshots @ DVD Beaver

Screenshots @ Cult Labs

...obviously they're not ALL the same, but there's a couple of overlaps. As to the "skullduggery" comment, Ben...you'll get used to my humor eventually (Lord knows, no-one else has yet and most here have known me from the internet for almost a decade). There was nothing meant by that, I was just making a "funny"...which obviously wasn't that funny or else it wouldn't have been called into question. However, whilst I like Eric's knowledge and enthusiasm for genre films, his tech knowledge IMO isn't as flash (tbh, mine isn't perfect either, but I've picked up on some easily identified errors in the past that even a "novice" like me can spot).
                      Last edited by Mike T; 09-26-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Ah, gotcha. Those are the ones I saw, but didn't pick up on any being the same (or similar). I think I do get your humor...I just haven't been up long and only had one cup of coffee so far. :) I know there's a lot of issues with CL and some with Dvd Beaver and their caps (though, I don't actually understand the complaints about the way Gary does things). But, yeah...you silly bastard. ;)

Comment

Which thread/caps are we talking about at CL and Dvd Beaver? Eric (ecc) posts occasionally at CL and does reviews for Gary, so it's possible the original caps (which I didn't find, beyond the ones posted by CL themselves and are different). Eric does give honest reviews, good and bad, so there's no funny biz that he's doing.
                          Maybe I was remembering it wrong. Does the CL thread now has more caps in it than it did or am I remembering it wrong? It was this one and this one (and then this one and this one) that made me do a double take but they're not the same frame. And I was in no way trying to make a dig at Eric. There's bound to be some overlap between reviews, everyone wants to include the coolest shots and the coolest scenes in their piece, myself included. It's nothing more than coincidence.

The DVD Beaver caps also show less of that edge enhancement you can see on the 10kbullets caps. They look better to me.

I'm so on the fence about this release. I want it and honestly don't really even mind that it's slightly cut but I know as soon as I order it it'll get released completely uncut and possibly with a better picture or better audio somewhere else.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

But, yeah...you silly bastard. ;)
                            (Yay! A man who "gets" my spurious Aussie humour!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                              I'm so on the fence about this release. I want it and honestly don't really even mind that it's slightly cut but I know as soon as I order it it'll get released completely uncut and possibly with a better picture or better audio somewhere else.
                              Nope, I'm with you Ian -- I made the same mistakes with the screengrabs and was going by memory of a couple of days ago. A cursory check shows they're not as close as I thought.

But I'm also with you on the release side of things -- the 14 second cut, meh (as all the more hideous stuff is intact); but likewise, I'll buy it and then someone else will trump it by announcing a better release with either more extras, additional audio or any other number of bonuses this edition doesn't have. Hmmm...I think I might sit tight instead...

Comment

Grindhouse releasing have people working on extras for their 'upcoming' br (when ever that might be).Calum waddel who does a lot of the extras for arrow runs a business called 'high rising productions' and on their website it sayd what extras they worked on(starcrash,arrow releases etc) and on the list it says extras for the upcoming blu ray from grindhouse.God knows when that will be released though

Comment

Working...
                                X