X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    george n

• george n
    replied
    [QUOTE=Mike T;17834]I guess this means, per the usual High Rising content, we can expect three-to-four minutes of animated credits with the producers' names repeated over and over and over againQUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• Mike T
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian F View Post
    I always have to imagine they get some crazy ass long licensing deals, otherwise I'd have to wonder how long they can afford to have licenses renewed with the actual movie not coming out.
    And not forgetting that a lot, if not all, licensors write into their contracts that their property must be released on whatever medium it's been licenced for by X date...or the contract lapses/reverts back to the licensor. In this instance, I'm guessing that perhaps Grindhouse have licenced some of their titles in perpetuity.

Leave a comment:

• Ian F

• Ian F
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy Simard View Post
    We talk of Grindhouse Releasing so the answer is easy.... Never.
    One of the few label I've no respect for. When were they supposed to released Scum of the Earth according to David Szulkin? 2 years ago, 3 years ago... and now they want people to believe they plan to release Blu-Rays when they can't do anything else than showing Evil Dead in theatre. Please don't make me laugh...
    I always have to imagine they get some crazy ass long licensing deals, otherwise I'd have to wonder how long they can afford to have licenses renewed with the actual movie not coming out.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Simard

• Jimmy Simard
    replied
    Originally posted by george n View Post
    God knows when that will be released though
    We talk of Grindhouse Releasing so the answer is easy.... Never.
    One of the few label I've no respect for. When were they supposed to released Scum of the Earth according to David Szulkin? 2 years ago, 3 years ago... and now they want people to believe they plan to release Blu-Rays when they can't do anything else than showing Evil Dead in theatre. Please don't make me laugh...

Leave a comment:

• Mike T
    replied
    Originally posted by george n View Post
    Calum waddel who does a lot of the extras for arrow...extras for the upcoming blu ray from grindhouse...
    I guess this means, per the usual High Rising content, we can expect three-to-four minutes of animated credits with the producers' names repeated over and over and over again...just in case you missed who produced the featurette the first twenty-seven times. Though their work's not so bad, in a semi-professional fashion, the rambling self-promotion with the credits on their featurettes just has to be scaled down (as it's embarrassing). What they need to learn is that the viewers and/or fans, by and large, don't CARE who produced the featurette - it's the content and those being interviewed that are paramount.

I don't see any other supplemental producers in the marketplace, be it the Severin boys or Michael Felsher or whoever, attention-whore as badly as the High Rising folk do - most others have a zippy intro and around thirty seconds of outro with basic credits. That's all we're* interested in when it comes to who put a featurette together, kids... ;)

* well, obviously I speak for myself (and a few select others) here. If I want cartoons, I'll watch the ones on the bonus disc in my Pink Panther boxset, thanks. But when I sit down to listen to an interview with serious (or exploitation) actors and directors, I'm not interested in wading through three or four minutes of Flash-created puff, with the same production credits repeated adnauseum, just to get to what the actual subject of the piece has to say. I know some people like that stuff, but...sheesh...not me.
    Last edited by Mike T; 09-26-2011, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• george n

• george n
    replied
    Grindhouse releasing have people working on extras for their 'upcoming' br (when ever that might be).Calum waddel who does a lot of the extras for arrow runs a business called 'high rising productions' and on their website it sayd what extras they worked on(starcrash,arrow releases etc) and on the list it says extras for the upcoming blu ray from grindhouse.God knows when that will be released though

Leave a comment:

• Mike T
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    I'm so on the fence about this release. I want it and honestly don't really even mind that it's slightly cut but I know as soon as I order it it'll get released completely uncut and possibly with a better picture or better audio somewhere else.
    Nope, I'm with you Ian -- I made the same mistakes with the screengrabs and was going by memory of a couple of days ago. A cursory check shows they're not as close as I thought.

But I'm also with you on the release side of things -- the 14 second cut, meh (as all the more hideous stuff is intact); but likewise, I'll buy it and then someone else will trump it by announcing a better release with either more extras, additional audio or any other number of bonuses this edition doesn't have. Hmmm...I think I might sit tight instead...

Leave a comment:

• Mike T
    replied
    Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
    But, yeah...you silly bastard. ;)
    (Yay! A man who "gets" my spurious Aussie humour!)

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Which thread/caps are we talking about at CL and Dvd Beaver? Eric (ecc) posts occasionally at CL and does reviews for Gary, so it's possible the original caps (which I didn't find, beyond the ones posted by CL themselves and are different). Eric does give honest reviews, good and bad, so there's no funny biz that he's doing.
    Maybe I was remembering it wrong. Does the CL thread now has more caps in it than it did or am I remembering it wrong? It was this one and this one (and then this one and this one) that made me do a double take but they're not the same frame. And I was in no way trying to make a dig at Eric. There's bound to be some overlap between reviews, everyone wants to include the coolest shots and the coolest scenes in their piece, myself included. It's nothing more than coincidence.

The DVD Beaver caps also show less of that edge enhancement you can see on the 10kbullets caps. They look better to me.

I'm so on the fence about this release. I want it and honestly don't really even mind that it's slightly cut but I know as soon as I order it it'll get released completely uncut and possibly with a better picture or better audio somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• bgart13

• bgart13
    replied
    Ah, gotcha. Those are the ones I saw, but didn't pick up on any being the same (or similar). I think I do get your humor...I just haven't been up long and only had one cup of coffee so far. :) I know there's a lot of issues with CL and some with Dvd Beaver and their caps (though, I don't actually understand the complaints about the way Gary does things). But, yeah...you silly bastard. ;)

Leave a comment:

• Mike T
    replied
    Which thread/caps are we talking about at CL and Dvd Beaver?
    A couple of the screenshots in the DVD Beaver review were identical to the ones posted in the Cult Labs forums, ala...

Screenshots @ DVD Beaver

Screenshots @ Cult Labs

...obviously they're not ALL the same, but there's a couple of overlaps. As to the "skullduggery" comment, Ben...you'll get used to my humor eventually (Lord knows, no-one else has yet and most here have known me from the internet for almost a decade). There was nothing meant by that, I was just making a "funny"...which obviously wasn't that funny or else it wouldn't have been called into question. However, whilst I like Eric's knowledge and enthusiasm for genre films, his tech knowledge IMO isn't as flash (tbh, mine isn't perfect either, but I've picked up on some easily identified errors in the past that even a "novice" like me can spot).
    Last edited by Mike T; 09-26-2011, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike T
    replied
    Indeed. There was a very good article in one of the local newspapers in the last few days about where our censorship might be headed...

An internet filter is censorship gone mad

It's an opinion piece, but it gives a (very) brief overview to what's been occurring here of late. There are many who are suggesting we're almost leaning into an era of state-controlled censorship ala China. As someone who lives in a Western democracy, and an active voter, these trends concern me - being that we weren't quite so censorious not that long ago.

Leave a comment:

• bgart13

• bgart13
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike T View Post
    Well spotted! They're the identical screenshots that were posted there. Hmmm, me thinks there's some skullduggery going on here... :think:
    Which thread/caps are we talking about at CL and Dvd Beaver? Eric (ecc) posts occasionally at CL and does reviews for Gary, so it's possible the original caps (which I didn't find, beyond the ones posted by CL themselves and are different). Eric does give honest reviews, good and bad, so there's no funny biz that he's doing.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    That sets a very dangerous precident.

Leave a comment:

• Mike T
    replied
    And, just by comparison, to show how backward things down here in Oz have started regressing with relation to censorship...

Heavily cut version of A Serbian Film now Banned after being available for over a month on DVD across Oz

...I tell you, this country is becoming frickin' hopeless these days when it comes to film, and gaming, censorship matters. We've almost regressed back a mindset in tune with what went on before the seventies and things actually freed up more than most Western democracies. This one now proves a slippery slope, because if they can ban a film already classified (albeit in cut form) that was on general release nationally, that means they can do the same with anything else they deem "objectionable" retroactively...

Britain may have joined the real world, but Australia's moving back into the dark ages.
    Last edited by Mike T; 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X