• Alison Jane
    replied
    So bizarre...

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Yeah, I'd give it a shot. It's interesting that the PR materials for it make it sound like a semi-official sequel.

Leave a comment:

• Alex K.

• Alex K.
    replied
    I'll play it.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    There's a video game coming out in November!!!???

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-...ust-video-game

https://www.fantasticostudio.it/rugg...odato-cannibal

Leave a comment:

• Ian Jane
    Administrator

• Ian Jane
    replied
    Haha, that's rad. Thanks for pointing that out Takuma.

Leave a comment:

• sukebanboy

• sukebanboy
    replied
    Was expecting Ians quote to be translated into Finnish!!

That would have been a first!!

Leave a comment:

• Takuma

• Takuma
    replied
    It's the time of the year when miss Finland... the bi-annual Night Visions film festival just kicked off and Ruggero Deodato is the main guest. Cannibal Holocaust and Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man are screening.

- https://www.facebook.com/nightvision...type=3&theater

Oh, and Ian Jane is quoted on the festival website

Leave a comment:

• Randy G

• Randy G
    replied
    Yeah, I thought that was interesting comment from Deaodato, makes the early scenes of the kids clearer and makes me think the film could be seen more as a reflection of the polarized Italian politics of the time, like some of the Poliziotteschi.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Originally posted by Randy G View Post
    Doesn't Deaodato say in the Grindhouse doc that he intended film to be a critique of left wing radicals in Italy in the 70s?
    I haven't seen the documentary on the Grindhouse release, but that would make sense.

Leave a comment:

• sukebanboy

• sukebanboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Randy G View Post
    Doesn't Deaodato say in the Grindhouse doc that he intended film to be a critique of left wing radicals in Italy in the 70s?
    Yeah...and the fact he was appalled by all the violence shown on the evening news where everyobe was exposed to it.....

Leave a comment:

• Randy G

• Randy G
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogart View Post
    I like to think the film is taking a swipe at the entire western civilization
    Or just people in general

Leave a comment:

• Bogart

• Bogart
    replied
    I like to think the film is taking a swipe at the entire western civilization

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Originally posted by Bogart View Post
    Did you get that that scene amongst others is supposed to be a (not so subtle) critique of the mondo movie makers of that time ?
    I always interpreted that scene as being as much about events like My Lai, etc, as about the 'ethics' of the mondo filmmakers of the 1960s/1970s. I think the perception of the film as a picture primarily about the mondo phenomenon - which has gained added currency owing to the easy availability of some of those films in the DVD age - has overshadowed other aspects of the film's immediate context within over a decade of political violence and the Vietnam War, etc. I always interpreted CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST as being as much about those events, filtered through the lens of a narrative (pun intended) revolving around the ethics of a documentary crew and using their incursion into the 'exotic' jungle as a metaphor for broader debates about cultural imperialism and interventionism/interference.

Of Deodato's similarly-themed films, however, I much prefer CUT AND RUN. That's a fun film, with similar echoes of its immediate social context.
    Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze
    Last edited by Paul L; 11-12-2015, 07:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul L
    Scholar of Sleaze

• Paul L
    replied
    Originally posted by enandalusiskhund View Post
    Cannibal Ferox is silly by comparison. It's just extremely stupid and nasty exploitation without even a hint of all the added dimensions of Deodato's film.
    I used to feel the same way about FEROX but when I rewatched it earlier this year via the Grindhouse Blu-ray I found that it had risen in my estimation. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that this most recent viewing of the film was the first time I'd seen it in Italian rather than via the English language dub with which I'm more familiar.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X