Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	353816
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Why do the videos on Youtube show a runtime of well over 2 hours for this film? Ive noticed this with other films as well, ridiculously long runtimes. Are Youtubes listed runtimes not accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
        Why do the videos on Youtube show a runtime of well over 2 hours for this film? Ive noticed this with other films as well, ridiculously long runtimes. Are Youtubes listed runtimes not accurate?
        I think that's where the video is on a download site and the You Tube video just shows the url for two hours?
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
          Sometimes it's whoever ripped the original videotape just ripped the whole tape so you end up with trailers or just a black screen at the end.

Comment

There is a PAL rip ( 94 min uncut ) of SCREAM....AND DIE and after the movie ends it starts again and runs til the 2 + hr mark.
            I have seen other YT rips that do this, never cross checked the up loader. Weird.

Blu features a print shorter than the MPAA R version. Trying to find out how long it actually was and found this lousy scan of the pressbook.
            I find it hard to believe but the pressbook states 99 min, but perhaps it actually did play at that length first run?
            John Bernhard
            Last edited by John Bernhard; 03-18-2018, 10:15 PM.
            https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Bernhard View Post
              There is a PAL rip ( 94 min uncut ) of SCREAM....AND DIE and after the movie ends it starts again and runs til the 2 + hr mark.
              I have seen other YT rips that do this, never cross checked the up loader. Weird.

Blu features a print shorter than the MPAA R version. Trying to find out how long it actually was and found this lousy scan of the pressbook.
              I find it hard to believe but the pressbook states 99 min, but perhaps it actually did play at that length first run?
              John, FWIW, both the BFI (in their 1983 publication about British films) and the BBFC suggest that the original runtime of the film was 99mins, with the BFI's publication implying a shorter cut of 86mins (with indeterminate BBFC-imposed cuts) was in circulation over here:
              http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org....-1971-1981.pdf

http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/scream-and-die-1973

If you contact the BBFC by email, they might be able to tell you the length of the film submitted to them and possibly even fill you in on the cuts to the British release.

Certainly, this would suggest that a 99min version was submitted to the BBFC for classification and then reduced to 88/86mins afterwards. I'd guess this is a case of a film being reduced in runtime by the distributor for whatever reason (number of screenings, pacing).
              Paul L
              Scholar of Sleaze
              Last edited by Paul L; 03-19-2018, 03:41 AM.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Thanks Paul.
                Definitely one sex & violence loaded scenes the BBFC would not have allowed. MPAA either.

I am hearing 95 min was the US run time, but it's not easily verifiable.
                https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Judy Jarvis that DVDExotica is talking to on twitter is Judy Matheson from The House That Vanished.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	354344

Here's the link she refers to:

http://www.dvdexotica.com/2018/04/co...-vanished.html
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And defalcos defense of some old.newspaper ad scheduling this at a 90 min slot is bunk. Those days theater managers just scheduled things without really checking , even cable channels like showtime goofed like that. Case in point. Showtime used to good all the time I remember every showing of Blue Sunshine and Trip with Teacher used to go over time so during the film a teleprompter thing flashed across the screen saying the next film will start 10 min late, also Facebook page groovy doom has newspaper ads giving movies at theaters 90min slot until the next feature yet the films itself was 90 or more so no intermission at all? Don't think so, so you can't go by those at all

Comment

I saw this at the Drive In but really have no idea what the run time was. Pretty sure that the one sex scene that borders on hardcore was NOT in that release. No matter how drunk I was, that would have been remembered.
                      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

I have a copy of the Australian version in storage. I remember there being more to the murder of the roommate.

Comment

As I pointed out back on page 2, the JEF films version is 99 minutes long.

Comment

I'm a little late to this party (as usual), but I have 3 of the VHS releases and want to list the running times for a couple of them, for reference purposes...

THE HOUSE THAT VANISHED (Media, 1984 release) - Box lists 84 mins., running time is 1:37:50
                            SCREAM AND DIE (Lightning Video, 1986 release) - Box lists 98 mins., running time is 1:38:20

I also have the 1978 Media release, but the door on the cassette is broken and I haven't fixed it yet (I would have to take a drill to the center rivet to open it up). The box lists 84 mins.
                            VHS will never die!

Comment

The throat-grabbingly monikered 'Scream and Die!' aka ‘The House That Vanished’ (1973) is another relatively obscure José Ramón Larraz horror excursion from the early 70s that is entirely undeserving of its current ignominious position of lost title. All the requisite Larraz terror-traits are in abundance here; luridly libidinous, scantily clad buxom lovelies, creaky, dimly-lit, doom-laden domiciles with some elusive, sexually 'unusual' maniac enthusiastically slaying a series of shrieking, tantalizingly top-heavy females!

The familiar Giallo-esque plot of some sordidly sinister, shadow-stalking, black-gloved killer doesn't often stray from convention, but where the estimable Larraz succeeds, and many other genre filmmakers so often fail is that he manages to excitingly generate a palpably erotic and decadent tone amongst all the heavy-breathing, gleefully gory 'gash and slash'. Alongside the sublime plenitude of fecund, candle-lit décolletage, he also darkly infuses the admittedly generic premise with ominous oodles of genuinely unsettling Gothic motifs. After reading a few glib, dismissive reviews of 'Scream...and Die' I really wasn't expecting much, but contrary to low expectations, Larraz's warped, twist-headed thriller proved to be an uproariously entertaining terror flick with a scintillating series of deliciously sinister set pieces that managed to evoke a sweaty-palmed, Poe-like sepulchral chill. My positive opinion hasn't changed in 15 years, when in Samhain is this fine psycho-thriller going to be restored?

(My initial review was originally written based on a scratchy-looking DVD-R bootleg)

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X