Name:	image004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	368132

When the Wind Blows
    Written by Raymond Briggs
    Directed by Jimmy T Murakami

BFI Blu-ray/DVD release on 22 January 2018

When the Wind Blows is a story about love, tenderness, humanity and hope in the face of nuclear war. Adapted by Raymond Briggs (The Snowman, Ethel and Ernest) from his best-selling graphic novel, it features an original soundtrack by Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) and title song by David Bowie. It will be released on Blu-ray/DVD by the BFI in a Dual Format Edition on 22 January 2018, packed with special features including interviews, a documentary on the director and the public information film Protect and Survive (1975).

Jim and Hilda Bloggs (voiced by Sir John Mills and Dame Peggy Ashcroft) are a middle-aged couple who put their faith in the government as they prepare for nuclear war. When the countdown begins, they roll up their sleeves and follow the advice contained in the real-life official booklet of the time, Protect and Survive. They whitewash their windows white, build a shelter out of doors and pillows, take the washing in and put away packets of ginger nuts, a tin of pineapple chunks and a good supply of tea.

This legendary, cautionary tale is both humorous and macabre in its consideration of one of the most horrific possibilities of modern life.

When the Wind Blows launch screening & Q&A at BFI Southbank, Sun 28 Jan
    This new releasewill be celebrated with a special screening at BFI Southbank (NFT3) on Sunday 28 January at 3.20pm, followed by an on stage Q&A with executive producer Iain Harvey. It is a part of the BFI's year-long celebration of the craft and creativity of animation taking place from January - December 2018. Details will be announced soon.

Special features
    Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
    Audio commentary with first assistant editor Joe Fordham and film historian Nick Redman
    Jimmy Murakami: Non-Alien (2010, 77 mins): feature-length documentary about the film's director
    The Wind and the Bomb (1986, 25 mins): the making of When the Wind Blows, featuring interviews with producer John Coates, director Jimmy T Murakami and writer Raymond Briggs
    Interview with Raymond Briggs (2005, 14 mins): the author discusses When the Wind Blows and other works
    Protect and Survive (1975, 50 mins): public information film designed to be broadcast when a nuclear attack was imminent
    Isolated music and effects track
    Illustrated booklet with a new introduction by Raymond Briggs, an essay by executive producer Iain Harvey, writing by Jez Stewart, Claire Kitson and Bella Todd, and full film credits

Product details
    RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1280/ Cert PG
    UK / 1986 / colour / 84 mins / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.37:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio (320kbps)
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The Twilight Time version is going for a pretty good deal, or was...10 bucks USD

Comment

They've been blowing out a lot of older titles are pretty good prices lately. Then stuff goes OOP and then it gets expensive again, haha. It's a vicious circle!
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I got When the Wind blows the other month in one of their sales as I was tired of waiting for a UK release, so of course BFI announce it straight after. Just ordered Inserts, so I'm waiting for that to be announced now. The only other TT title I want is U Turn, but I'll take a risk on that and leave it.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

The Twilight Time disc had issues, a horrible 'echo' on all the sound effects.

Here: You can hear the echos on the glasses rattling in this clip, and then you can watch the same clip (how it should sound) on the isolated effects track.

Comment

Interesting that this and THREADS (both British post-nuclear sci-fi dramas) are coming out right around the same time.
            VHS will never die!

Comment

Severin are releasing this soon as part of their kids line.

https://severinkids.com/coming-soon
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That'll freak the little bastards out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Severin are releasing this soon as part of their kids line.

https://severinkids.com/coming-soon
                  It was NEVER a children's film so I'm not sure why they are including it under this new kids line 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
                    It was NEVER a children's film so I'm not sure why they are including it under this new kids line ������
                    I was scarred the first time I saw it.

Comment

Waiting for the Severin Teeny boppers line!

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                        Waiting for the Severin Teeny boppers line!
                        I hope that Ian Jane doesn't review any of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                          I hope that Ian Jane doesn't review any of those.

Haha!
                          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Info on the upcoming 'Severin Kids' release, coming 4/28.

https://severin-films.com/shop/wtwb-blu/

“There have been enough post-holocaust nuclear winter films to constitute a genre” says Time Out, “but there has never been anything quite like this.” Three decades after it first shattered audiences worldwide, Severin Kids is proud to present the animated classic about an elderly couple - voiced by Academy Award® winners Sir John Mills and Dame Peggy Ashcroft - attempting to survive the aftermath of a nuclear war. Directed by Jimmy T. Murakami (HEAVY METAL, BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS), adapted by Raymond Briggs from his acclaimed graphic novel, and featuring an original score by Roger Waters with title song by David Bowie, experience what Rock! Shock! Pop! calls “a fascinating achievement in filmmaking, and one that remains timeless more than 30 years after its creation.”

Special Features:
                            Jimmy Murakami: Non Alien - Feature Length Documentary About the Film's Director
                            The Wind and The Bomb: The Making of WHEN THE WIND BLOWS
                            Audio Commentary with First Assistant Editor Joe Fordham and Film Historian Nick Redman
                            An Interview with Raymond Briggs
                            Protect and Survive: Public Information Film Designed to be Broadcast When a Nuclear Attack Was Imminent
                            Isolated Music and Effects Audio Track
                            Trailers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj1VgOD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	357616
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                            X