No announcement yet.

Flesh For Frankenstein / Blood For Dracula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. UHD's are way too expensive to produce for Severin to pull that nonsense. They have to go wide retail, or they will not make their money back.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	360116
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

to know death, otto, you have to fuck life... in the gall bladder ... in 3D!

Comment

I got my email today saying Blood for Dracula shipped.

Comment

So, I got my _Flesh for Frankenstein_ (FfF) set from VS, and the UHD is ... borderline acceptable. If I tweak settings, I can make it watchable. The colors are signifcantly overheated, and the contrast is so intense that it's noticeably amplifying grain that should be present, not a main focus of the image.

Would be nice to hear thoughts from folks on this set from VS compared to _Blood for Dracula_ (BfD). I thought BfD was great. There were a few scenes that had some contrast and/or "blown" coloration but overall, it was a very nice presentation of a significant cult film from the early 70's.

There's (no surprise) already people talking about the FfF UHD "issue" on blu-ray.com, and I had hoped that it was just (somewhat) typical whinging from that crowd, but ... no, it's a real thing.

I'm bummed because I've been looking forward to both of these since rumors started around May. I lost my Criterion DVD's in a divorce(!), and was really jazzed about getting these back, especially UHDs.
            </first world problem whinging>

Anyone else have similar issues / thoughts with the UHD?

Comment

We were out with Horace last night (haha, you may not know Horace... many people here do, so I just assume everyone does!) and he and Ian were discussing this. I love this film but I haven't watched this release yet. I'm sure Ian will have plenty to contribute but he's out today. I'll let him know to respond to this soon.
              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Originally posted by null View Post
                So, I got my _Flesh for Frankenstein_ (FfF) set from VS, and the UHD is ... borderline acceptable. If I tweak settings, I can make it watchable. The colors are signifcantly overheated, and the contrast is so intense that it's noticeably amplifying grain that should be present, not a main focus of the image.

Would be nice to hear thoughts from folks on this set from VS compared to _Blood for Dracula_ (BfD). I thought BfD was great. There were a few scenes that had some contrast and/or "blown" coloration but overall, it was a very nice presentation of a significant cult film from the early 70's.

There's (no surprise) already people talking about the FfF UHD "issue" on blu-ray.com, and I had hoped that it was just (somewhat) typical whinging from that crowd, but ... no, it's a real thing.

I'm bummed because I've been looking forward to both of these since rumors started around May. I lost my Criterion DVD's in a divorce(!), and was really jazzed about getting these back, especially UHDs.
                </first world problem whinging>

Anyone else have similar issues / thoughts with the UHD?
                So when I watched the UHD initially I didn't think it looked bad, but once this was brought up and I did an A/B between the UHD and the Blu-ray disc, I totally see what people are complaining about, it does look too hot in comparison. I don't think the UHD is unwatchable like some people do but of course the issue is pretty subjective, it'll irk some more than others.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So VS' blu-ray looks better than the UHD? Would you recommend the blu-ray for a first watch then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                    So VS' blu-ray looks better than the UHD? Would you recommend the blu-ray for a first watch then?
                    It's one of those 'kind of up to your own eyes' situations in my opinion. The detail is definitely better on the UHD but the colors look better on the Blu-ray, with the contrast on the UHD looking hot by comparison and while it didn't throw me for a loop I can see why others aren't happy with it. I don't have a UHD drive on my PC or I'd post some comparison caps.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I also haven't had time to try the UHD with the HDR turned off, it's possible that might correct the issue. Will look into that after work if someone doesn't beat me to it.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        So when I watched the UHD initially I didn't think it looked bad, but once this was brought up and I did an A/B between the UHD and the Blu-ray disc, I totally see what people are complaining about, it does look too hot in comparison. I don't think the UHD is unwatchable like some people do but of course the issue is pretty subjective, it'll irk some more than others.
                        In your defense, you were reviewing I don't even remember how many releases from multiple labels to help people prepare for the various BF sales -- you (mostly) get a pass. heh. Besides, I was a Flash Pre-order, so money already spent but their response to this will decide whether I make that choice again...

I, do, however disagree pretty strongly about the watchability of the UHD. I knew it was a problem from the first seconds -- the opening credits bloom completely artificially. In the opening scene with the kids in the lab, the daughters eyes (which are a beautiful deep blue) glow very unnaturally. The following scene (which was, honestly, as far as I actually watched the UHD), the grain is so overly amplified, it genuinely appears as if there is a swarm of flies.

And I haven't even mentioned skin tones! Practically everyone has a sunburn.

Point being: It's not just one or two elements that can possibly be overlooked.

Jason: The blu-ray is fine. The anaglyph 3D is pretty great -- it has the same issue(s) as any anaglyph, but if you're able to deal, it's a really fun watch.

Comment

They are issuing a new UHD disc for Flesh for Frankenstein. If you bought from them you need not do anything. If you bought from another retailer you need to contact them with proof of purchase. They are also giving put a $6 coupon for the inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                            They are issuing a new UHD disc for Flesh for Frankenstein. If you bought from them you need not do anything. If you bought from another retailer you need to contact them with proof of purchase. They are also giving put a $6 coupon for the inconvenience.
                            Thanks for passing that along. Saw it mentioned on the other board but not from anything official. Glad I can now stop reading blu-ray.com -- really happy they exist, but not a place I wanna hang out at. hehe.

Comment

Have the VS Flesh For Frankenstein replacement discs gone out yet? If so, are they marked in any way to distinguish them from the discs they're replacing?

(I just received my replacement disc for The Vampire Lovers today and assumed it was going to be Flesh For Frankenstein when I saw it in the mailbox. I thought I'd already received The Vampire Lovers, so now I'm wondering if it was FFF that came earlier).

Comment

Originally posted by ChicGandil View Post
                                Have the VS Flesh For Frankenstein replacement discs gone out yet? If so, are they marked in any way to distinguish them from the discs they're replacing?

(I just received my replacement disc for The Vampire Lovers today and assumed it was going to be Flesh For Frankenstein when I saw it in the mailbox. I thought I'd already received The Vampire Lovers, so now I'm wondering if it was FFF that came earlier).
                                The Ultra-HD logo on the replacement disc is yellow instead of white.
                                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Working...
                                X