No announcement yet.

Uncut Italian 35MM Print of Suspiria Found and Will Be Projected Across the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncut Italian 35MM Print of Suspiria Found and Will Be Projected Across the US

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/236...ted-across-us/

Now, before anyone asks, Chicago Cinema Society already approached Don May (An idiot for turning this down) over at Synapse regarding their 4k restoration. They were told that Synapse has, “…all of the film elements that they need for their upcoming digital restoration.” So while this is an amazing find, it's not going to get a home video release anytime soon. That means you should definitely check it out the moment it comes to your area!

Anyone know who owns the UK rights?

I was actually wondering what this would mean for upcoming releases...it'll be one of those, "Well, why buy that when I can just wait for the uncut?"

Comment

Synapse is working off of the complete, uncut negative I believe. I'm not sure that there'd be any additional footage included in this print. I'm not even aware of any cut versions floating around.... unless I'm missing something?
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This will be like chemical warfare at blu-ray.com. I predict the end of humanity.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I Read up on this a bit more. This is basically only different from the theatrical version that screened in the UK and USA. Prior dvd/Blu Ray releases are using the same uncut version as what's found here. So if you've seen Suspiria on DVD or Blu, you've seen this version.

Comment

I can imagine the Chicago Cinema Society being excited over the find a (if they own it) but a bit confused as to why Dread Central thinks this is a big deal. I've seen Suspiria on 35mm twice and it was uncut both times. And this month it's playing at The Astor down the road. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of prints.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

And do the Chicago Cinema Society have the right to even show the print (I'm assuming they're charging admissions)?

Comment

I think they believe it's a big deal because it's in excellent condition and it's the Italian language version.

Comment

More on this here:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/sus...gs-1201844977/

I'm still not sure it's all that big a deal given that the Italian version has been easy to come by on home video. I guess for retrospective screenings its pretty cool but I prefer the movie in English anyway.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Synapse posted this on FB:

"There seems to be some confusion regarding the Italian-language uncut print of SUSPIRIA that the Chicago Film Society has recently acquired and will be screening. We've seen posts online from people who seem to believe this print has material that will not be included in our upcoming release of SUSPIRIA.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Our release of SUSPIRIA will be uncut, scanned from the original 35mm camera negative in Italy, which was also used to make this newly-discovered vintage print. What makes the Chicago print special is that 20th Century Fox controls the U.S. theatrical rights to SUSPIRIA, and as such, when a 35mm print of the film is screened in the U.S., it's usually their cut version which runs 92-minutes. But rest assured, the upcoming Synapse release of SUSPIRIA is uncut and there is no "new footage" unique to the 35mm print from the Chicago Film Society.

We promise to have some very exciting news regarding our SUSPIRIA restoration in the next few weeks (it will NOT be a release date). Keep watching this space for updates!"
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm waiting for the butchered cut version in worst possible state, on betamax

Comment

This "uncut" stuff sounds like a mistake.

Somebody oughta snip a bit out to future-proof the SUSPIRIA release business. Add half of the cut material back to each subsequent "uncut" release; repeat.

Comment

That is a sound business plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                            This "uncut" stuff sounds like a mistake.

Somebody oughta snip a bit out to future-proof the SUSPIRIA release business. Add half of the cut material back to each subsequent "uncut" release; repeat.
                            Well, I've got the six frames missing from every version of SUSPIRIA released in any format... ever; they're stored at the back of my garage. And unless someone can come up with one million English pounds, the best you can all do is try to imagine what's in them.

So nah! :p
                            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Better business plan!

Comment

Working...
                              X