Paul Verhoeven's Blessed Virgin / Bendetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
    IFC has picked this up for US distribution.
    Great news!
    "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
    -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ack-at-critics

"Some critics have also spotted shades of Hammer Horror, while others have made comparisons to British Carry On comedies ."

How can I resist that combination?
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

There were some Catholic protestors out in front of the theater where this was showing at the NYFF yesterday.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/pa...st-1234667479/
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
          https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ack-at-critics

"Some critics have also spotted shades of Hammer Horror, while others have made comparisons to British Carry On comedies ."

How can I resist that combination?
          Double-bill it with CARRY ON SCREAMING! and I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            There were some Catholic protestors out in front of the theater where this was showing at the NYFF yesterday.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/pa...st-1234667479/
            Fantastic. I'm sold.

Comment

Looking forward to this at the London Film Festival on the 16th. It is the last of the #LFF films I'm going to.

Comment

Just watched this Early Access on Amazon Prime for $6.99.

For me, it more than delivered on the Verhoeven/Nunsploitation front. Garish, trashy, explicit, melodramatic and deliriously blasphemous.

Still trying to wrap my head around the overall aesthetic though. I always struggle with CGI, but here it *almost* merges with the aforementioned garishness. I mean, it could be argued that artificiality goes had and hand with the con that is organized religion, so in that respect it seems appropriately baked into the wafer. (Also, much of the CGI is delivered in dreams and visions, so the need for it to look realistic wasn't really an issue).

Weird seeing such a slick, large budget Nunsploitation saga -- but yeah, fuck yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicGandil View Post
                  Just watched this Early Access on Amazon Prime for $6.99.

For me, it more than delivered on the Verhoeven/Nunsploitation front. Garish, trashy, explicit, melodramatic and deliriously blasphemous.

Still trying to wrap my head around the overall aesthetic though. I always struggle with CGI, but here it *almost* merges with the aforementioned garishness. I mean, it could be argued that artificiality goes had and hand with the con that is organized religion, so in that respect it seems appropriately baked into the wafer. (Also, much of the CGI is delivered in dreams and visions, so the need for it to look realistic wasn't really an issue).

Weird seeing such a slick, large budget Nunsploitation saga -- but yeah, fuck yeah.
                  Good to hear Verhoeven delivers again. Any news on this getting a physical release?
                  "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
                  -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
                  -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Horse 77 View Post
                    Good to hear Verhoeven delivers again. Any news on this getting a physical release?
                    Already had a NON-Englishn friendly Region B BD release in France courtesy of Pathe! Distribution with a 41 min inteview with Verhoeven as the sole extra.

There is also a German 4K dual format UHD Mediabook release (out next month), as well as a BD release, from Koch Media but I'm not sure if it is English friendly or not as the Blu-ray forum ONLY lists German subs whereas Amazon UK lists German, English, French for subs for the UHD.

It is out in cinemas in the UK on 22nd April so I don't know about any BD etc release. I saw this at the #LFF last year & hope it gets an English friendly BD/UHD release as it is my favourite Verhoeven film.
                    fatboyslim142
                    Last edited by fatboyslim142; 01-10-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't name it as my favorite, but I'm not sure what I'd rank above or below it either. Verhoeven films are kind of their own state weird state of being. I've never seen Elle though. Either I've never made it past the trailer or i moved onto something else 5 or 10 minutes in -- since I've never actually seen it though, I can't really rate it.

Comment

Sex and violence are par for the course for a Paul Verhoeven film, but, one rarely expects it in such copious amounts in a film based on a true story account of a 17th century Catholic nun, Benedetta Carlini. The key word is 'based' for Verhoeven and co-writer David Birke have freely adapted Judith Brown's non-fiction book.

Set in Tuscany, Benedetta is a tale of a young Italian woman (the movie is in French) who claimed to have had vivid visions of Jesus from an early age. Once in a Convent in Pescia, Benedetta (played as an adult by a stout Virginie Efira) rises to the rank of Abbess much to the dismay of the former Mother Superior, Felicita (an excellent Charlotte Rampling). Her manifestations continue and become more graphic even reaching the point of stigmata and speaking in tongues. A rumored affair with a fellow nun, Bartolomea (a mischievous Daphné Patakia) brings suspicion, scorn and charges of heresy in the form of Alfonso (Lambert Wilson; relishing his evil side) who comes from Florence to prosecute the case. The plague is raging and Verhoeven's film boils into a bloodier, sexier take on Ken Russell's THE DEVILS.

Something of a MARK OF THE DEVIL for the Cannes crowd.

And yet, Verhoeven has created a work of subversive, yet profound, religiousness. Benedetta's devotion to the lord is never in doubt Her fervor, inspired and deeply felt even when not in keeping with the letter of scripture. Only a filmmaker as fervid as his subject could create at once something so sacrilegious while also remaining true to the essence of the character. There is no question that Verhoeven can never be accused of having good taste (and there are times here where if he pulled back even a little, it would have only improved the work), but, sometimes that seeming contradiction is what can create such stirring art. BENEDETTA is a direct challenge to believers and non-believers alike.

Comment

US Blu-ray release slated for 6/14/22.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Domestic release coming via IFC in June.

Click image for larger version

Name:	278533049_1655953254747887_4038071799595980828_n.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	391502
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Amazon.com has the pre-order up for $14.99, nearly half off.

Comment

I sort of liked this more then I expected. Not a great film, but it certainly delivers on the whole nunsploitation angle, and Verhoeven clearly enjoys bitchslapping religion around. Definitely worth its place on my Verhoeven shelf.
                                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
                                X