Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creatures from the Abyss AKA Plantkon (1994)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creatures from the Abyss AKA Plantkon (1994)

I debated whether or not to make a thread but the following gif convinced me to do it:

Plankton AKA Creatures from the Abyss is one of the last schlocky Eyetalian horror films. The 90's was easily the dark age and the last desperate grasp for Eyetalian genre pictures. The old maestro's were dying or could no longer find work outside of Italian TV show dramas. Argento had completely run out of ideas. Stendhale Syndrome being the one exception (come at me bro). And Michele Soavi gave unto us some of the last genuinely great Italo horrors with The Sect and Dellamorte Dellamore AKA Cemetery Man.

This flick is basically a kind of ripoff of Leviathan/The Thing and a little bit of Piranha 2: the Spawning. Teenagers that look thirty-ish get stranded out at sea and hop aboard an abandoned vessel. Said abandoned vessel contains a computer-programmed sex shower (seriously), an open bar, and some of the usual ominousness.

At first you think it's a killer fish picture but no! It's mutant fishman picture where being even a tiny bit horny triggers mutant fish abilities. No, seriously. There's some good creature effects and gore but unfortunately it's a very start and stop kind of picture. Two very lovely European ladies to boot. I couldn't find any evidence but it seems like this film was shot with 3D in mind if you look at some of the effects shots. But there's nothing that validates this.

I would hesitantly recommend this one if you need more Italian schlock in your diet.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Ah yes, directed by Alvaro Passeri (as Al Passeri). He also directed the truly jaw-dropping THE MUMMY THEME PARK (2000).

THE MUMMY THEME PARK has yet to turn up on Blu-ray... I'd buy it.

Greetings by the way. I'm an extremely long time lurker/stalker.
    thenoblecollector
    Last edited by thenoblecollector; 03-30-2017, 08:21 PM.
    Outre and cult film lover / Recovering New Yorker / European / Rubber monsters! / Art Horror / Euro Trash / RIP Jess Franco & Lina Romay.

TWITTER @NobleCollector

Comment

Working...
    X