Mondo Candido coming from Camera Obscura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mondo Candido coming from Camera Obscura

Johnny Redman just posted the news on Twitter - looks like it's gonna be a two disc set from the original negative.

From their facebook page:

"The No. 8 in the Italian Genre Cinema Collection will be Gualtiero Jacopetti's & Franco Prosperi's ultra-rare final collaboration MONDO CANDID...O! This will be our most important release so far."

Screen caps here.

This, to me, is far more interesting than Argento reissues and Fulci reissues, even if they are on Blu. I've wanted a good DVD of this one for ages and considering Camera Obscura's track record, it's in very, very good hands.

For some reason I own a mint Japanese one sheet for this movie.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

That Jonny Redman, Italo-genre whore that he is! But seriously, some of this stuff looks awesome -- what's Camera Obscura stuff run to price wise? And is it easy to get access to?

Comment

The Camera Obscura discs can be a bit pricey once you factor in overseas postage, but they're worth it in my opinion. I usually order mine from D&T or from Kult Video
      Let's just get high and fuck some sluts

Comment

Their discs are on the pricey side, yes, but they release stuff no one else is touching and they do a really nice job with everything from the extras to the packaging.

Mike I'm surprised you don't have their release of the Shaw's Virgins Of The Seven Seas.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          Mike, I'm surprised you don't have their release of the Shaw's Virgins Of The Seven Seas.
          Yes, me too. That "pricey" notation has temporarily scuttled things until everything on the home front improves. Moreso now that we were out yesterday, picking up a free professional portrait of the little guy that we won in a raffle, and I fell in love with a 50" Plasma 3D HDTV!

Comment

I have no interest in going 3D but can't blame those who do, it's a neat gimmick.

As far as that disc goes, yeah, it's spendy but it's worth it. A nice restoration and some good extras and I don't expect anyone else to get to it any time soon.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Mondo Candido is gonna be awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	338018

Sure looks like it's gonna beat the Hell out of the LFVW bootleg that's been going around for years.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That makes three Camera Obscura releases I want!

Comment

From CO's facebook page:

"MONDO CANDIDO will definitely be a 2-disc set, featuring a 2-hour documentary on the works of Jacopetti und Prosperi amongst other goodies."
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Lovely.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It's probably the weakest of the Jacopetti and Prosperi pictures. Plus it really doesn't follow Voltaire's Candide very well. I did like the war sequence though.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I didn't think it was weak at all. I agree that it deviates from the source a lot, but I don't see it so much as a literal adaptation as a skewed reinterpretation. Hopefully a good quality version will improve this one's standing a bit.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Some screenshots from the extras posted here. Looks like the disc is coming out 7/25.

I'm stoked.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Apparantly Jacopetti passed away last night at 91 years of age. The guy lead a pretty incredible life and, say what you will about his films, had some pretty serious talent.

There's a nice write up on him here.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Mine should arrive any day now and am super excited to get hold of it.I have every camera obscura release and have never been dissapointed yet,just wish they could get them out quicker.Still id rather wait and have a definitive release than a rush job

Comment

Working...
                              X