Ken Russell's Women In Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Russell's Women In Love

No firm details yet, but this is coming to Blu-ray in the UK via the BFI, who seem to really have a thing for Russell this year (not that any of us should complain).

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18969

Women in Love

Synopsis: Free-spirited sculptress Gudrun and her sister, schoolteacher Ursula, become acquainted with lifelong friends Gerald and Rupert in 1920s England. Gerald falls in love with Gudrun, and Rupert with Ursula, but their respective relationships are soon put to the test, particularly during an eventful and tense holiday in Switzerland. Adapted from the novel by D. H. Lawrence. Starring Alan Bates, Oliver Reed, Glenda Jackson, Jennie Linden, and Eleanor Bron.

STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 19.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This and The Rainbow used to pop up on cable tv regularly but have become rare in the last number of years now that I actually want to see them!

Comment

YES!!!! I LOVE THIS FILM!!!! Easily my favorite Russell.

Comment

Details!

Women in Love - A film by Ken Russell

Alan Bates, Oliver Reed, Glenda Jackson and Jennie Linden

Ken Russell's lauded D H Lawrence adaptation is a sophisticated meditation on the complexities of human relationships and the shifting social mores of a country shell-shocked by the First World War.

Now newly restored by the BFI National Archive and premiered at the 2015 BFI London Film Festival, it will be released on Blu-ray for the first time on 22 August 2016. An array of special features include commentaries, interviews and short films.

Women in Love was hailed upon its release, earning four Academy Award nominations, and the Best Actress Oscar® for Glenda Jackson. Audiences flocked to see its famous, erotically-charged naked wrestling scene, and critics celebrated the film's opulent design, handsome cinematography and the compelling ensemble performances of Alan Bates, Jennie Linden, Oliver Reed and Glenda Jackson. Often regarded as Ken Russell's masterpiece, Women in Love endures as one of British cinema's finest achievements.

Special features

New 4K restoration by the BFI National Archive
        · Original theatrical trailer
        · Billy Williams OBE BSC in conversation with Phil Méheux BSC (2015, 49 mins): in-depth interview with the Oscar®-winning cinematographer
        · Audio commentary with director Ken Russell
        · Audio commentary with writer and producer Larry Kramer
        · Second Best (Stephen Dartnell, 1972, 27 mins): previously unreleased short film starring Alan Bates, based on the short story by D H Lawrence
        · The Guardian Lecture: Glenda Jackson interviewed at the National Film Theatre (1982, 77 mins, audio only)
        · The Pacemakers: Glenda Jackson (1971, 14 mins): a documentary profile in which the actress speaks of her performance in Women in Love
        · Stills and Collection Gallery
        · Illustrated booklet with new writing by Michael Brooke, Paul Sutton and Vic Pratt, and full film credits

Product details

RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1254 / Cert 15

UK / 1969 / 131 mins / colour / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / BD50 / 1080p / original aspect ratio 1.75:1 / PCM mono audio (48k/24-bit)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	350961
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rewatched this last night for the first time in a few years and it holds up well. Reed is great in it, hell, everybody is great in it, and because it is Russell it is simultaneously bizarre and beautiful and funny and tragic - all at the same time. Nicely shot, great camerawork. This was my third time seeing it I think, and for some reason the scene where Reed goes looking for the drowning victims really got to me this time, I don't remember it having much of an effect on me in the past. Could be a sign of the times? I dunno. Either way, it's an excellent mix of character study, relationship drama, romance and... I dunno, something else entirely. When Alison asked me what it was about before we watched it I said 'relationships and rich assholes' or something to that effect and I guess that does sum it up.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

OK, that does it. I'm buying a bunch of Ken Russell movies. I know THE DEVILS is highly problematic, but I heard there was a “pretty good” British DVD. If so, is that still available?
            Marshall Crist
            Last edited by Marshall Crist; 06-03-2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
              OK, that does it. I'm buying a bunch of Ken Russell movies.
              Do yourself a favour and buy LISZTOMANIA. You will not regret it.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

OK, that does it. I'm buying a bunch of Ken Russell movies. Two questions. Did I hear recently that BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN was coming on Blu-Ray? I know THE DEVILS is highly problematic, but I heard there was a “pretty good” British DVD. If so, is that still available?
                The BFI DVD release of THE DEVILS is still available, I think, Marshall, and it's pretty good. I dug my copy out a week or so ago as I intend to rewatch the film when I have some free time.
                Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                Yup.
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                  Oh, I will. It's been on my radar since it originally got covered in PLAYBOY.

Comment

Oh, I will. It's been on my radar since it originally got covered in PLAYBOY.
                    That's unusual because Playboy is usually covered in something else.

Wacka-Wacka.

(Sorry. It had to be said, especially in a Ken Russell thread )
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Really enjoyed Women in Love. We tried watching Lisztomania but the sound wasn't very good and no subtitles. Felt like I'd miss too much so we'll wait in hopes of a better release.
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

I got a killer quality rip of Lisztomiania off of Cinemageddon about 10 years back. OAR, HD, killer sound, so it's definitely out there if you poke around a bit.

Comment

Slowly trying to amass some Russell movies. Thought THE MUSIC LOVERS was readily available, but...no? Also thought a restoration was coming, but...no?

Comment

Slowly trying to amass some Russell movies. Thought THE MUSIC LOVERS was readily available, but...no? Also thought a restoration was coming, but...no?
                            Respectable DVDs, but no blu. A restoration on BD would be fantastic, though.

Comment

There are a lot of 70s Russell movies on "official" DVR from Warners and/or Universal Archives.
                              "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
                              -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
                              -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

Working...
                              X