Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Releasing The Bloodstained Butterfly

They posted this on FB...

"That serendipitous moment when the film you're restoring contains today's date..."

Click image for larger version

Name:	13087517_1185796338121025_6056580316175568645_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	367201
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Alan Jones tweeted that he was going to record a commentary for this with Kim Newman. I can't wait!
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

8/22/16.

Format: Blu-Ray + DVD
      Directed by: Duccio Tessari
      Starring: Helmut Berger, Giancarlo Sbragia, Evelyn Stewart

Synopsis:

Directed by Duccio Tessari (Death Occurred Last Night, A Pistol for Ringo), The Bloodstained Butterflymelds the lurid giallo traditions popularised by Dario Argento and Mario Bava with courtroom drama, resulting in a film that is as concerned with forensic detail and legal process as it is with grisly murders and audacious set-pieces.

When a young female student is savagely killed in a park during a thunderstorm, the culprit seems obvious: her lover, TV sports personality Alessandro Marchi (Giancarlo Sbragia, Death Rage), seen fleeing the scene of the crime by numerous eyewitnesses. The evidence against him is damning… but is it all too convenient? And when the killer strikes again while Marchi is in custody, it quickly becomes apparent that there's more to the case than meets the eye…

Starring 70s heartthrob Helmut Berger (Dorian Gray, The Godfather: Part III) alongside genre mainstays Evelyn Stewart (The Psychic, The Case of the Scorpion's Tail) and Carole André (Colt 38 Special Squad), and featuring a score by Gianni Ferrio (Death Walks at Midnight), The Bloodstained Butterfly is presented uncut and in a sumptuous new 4K restoration that allows this unique and haunting thriller to shine like never before!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
      High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
      Original Italian and English soundtracks in DTS-HD MA mono 1.0
      Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
      Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
      New audio commentary with critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
      Murder in B-Flat Minor, a new visual essay on the film, its cast and crew by author Troy Howarth
      New career retrospective on director Duccio Tessari
      Original Italian and English theatrical trailers
      Gallery of original promotional images
      Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
      Limited edition 36-page booklet illustrated by Tonci Zonjic, containing writing by James Blackford, Howard Hughes and Leonard Jacobs

DETAILS:
      RRP: £24.99 £17.99
      Region: B/2
      Rating: TBC
      Duration: 99 minutes
      Language: Italian / English
      Subtitles: English / English SDH
      Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
      Audio: Mono
      Colour
      Discs: 2
      UK Cat Number: FCD1353

Name:	BLOODSTAINED_BUTTERFLY_2D_BD copy-500x500.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	350479
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Don't care for that new artwork at all but I can't wait for this one. While I'd rate DEATH OCCURED LAST NIGHT slightly higher, this is still another terrific giallo from Tessari. I love the way this film is structured, with flashbacks and not coming all together until the end. Looking forward to that career retrospective, damn I wish we'd get the RINGO films on BD, particularly THE RETURN OF RINGO.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

And then.... this! What's a giallo fan to do?

Here comes a surprise ankí¼digung -- From Timing-reasons this time without the quiz: we will, in cooperation with arrow video duccio tessaris grandiose giallo una farfalla con le ali insa ngui Nate (blood trail in the park aka the knife) by 1971 on Blu-Ray and DVD release. The extras will be lush, including one from freak-O-Rama and us-produced documentary about tessaris oeuvre with many interviews.

Here comes a surprise announcement -- due to timing-reasons without a quiz: In collaboration with Arrow Video, we will release Duccio Tessari's masterful giallo UNA FARFALLA CON LE ALI INSANGUINATE (THE BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY) from 1971 on Blu-ray and DVD. The extras will be plentiful, amongst others a documentary by Freak-O-Rama video productions and us on Tessari's oeuvre featuring many interviews.

Name:	13124864_1016735415028705_2056280510403477173_n.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	350486
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Also that text was translated from German to English through FB so it's pretty mangled.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'd buy this if we could get a career retrospective interview with helmut berger! man, someone really needs to do an interview with this guy about his wild "euro cult" career.
              he's still alive and more lunatic than ever!

Comment

Oh my, two of the best companies releasing the same great film (probably) at or around the same time. The sad part is I'll probably go with the CO despite it being pricier, just because it's CO.

Comment

Im reading that the actual master will be exactly the same. So it seems the only reason to buy the CO would be for the German language options (good for Germans I suppose) and (maybe?) the extras if they are different? Or maybe they will be the same on both releases.

Comment

Or if you have a thing for annoyingly fragile digipacks, or () collect the CO releases. They have numbers on the spines, for extra OCD desirability!

The Arrow cover is truly HORRIBLE, but it'll have original artwork on the other side.

Comment

No US release from Arrow?

Comment

Some updated info:

**THE BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY FINAL SPECS**
                        Good news! We've made a couple of additions to our release of The Bloodstained Butterfly. Check out the revised specs below and, if you haven't already, pre-order you copy via the links below:
                        Pre-order the UK edition: http://bit.ly/29Rs0AH
                        Pre-order the US edition: http://bit.ly/29Rtivw

----------------------------------
                        Directed by Duccio Tessari (Death Occurred Last Night, A Pistol for Ringo), The Bloodstained Butterfly melds the lurid giallo traditions popularised by Dario Argento and Mario Bava with courtroom drama, resulting in a film that is as concerned with forensic detail and legal process as it is with grisly murders and audacious set-pieces.

When a young female student is savagely killed in a park during a thunderstorm, the culprit seems obvious: her lover, TV sports personality Alessandro Marchi (Giancarlo Sbragia, Death Rage), seen fleeing the scene of the crime by numerous eyewitnesses. The evidence against him is damning… but is it all too convenient? And when the killer strikes again while Marchi is in custody, it quickly becomes apparent that there's more to the case than meets the eye…
                        Starring 70s heartthrob Helmut Berger (Dorian Gray, The Godfather: Part III) alongside genre mainstays Evelyn Stewart (The Psychic, The Case of the Scorpion's Tail) and Carole André (Colt 38 Special Squad), and featuring a score by Gianni Ferrio (Death Walks at Midnight), The Bloodstained Butterfly is presented uncut and in a sumptuous new 4K restoration that allows this unique and haunting thriller to shine like never before!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
                        •Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
                        •High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
                        •Original Italian and English soundtracks in DTS-HD MA mono 1.0
                        •Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
                        •Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
                        •New audio commentary with critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
                        •Murder in B-Flat Minor, a new visual essay on the film, its cast and crew by author Troy Howarth
                        •Mad Dog Helmut, a new interview with actor Helmut Berger
                        •Exclusive introduction by Helmut Berger
                        •A Butterfly Named Evelyn, a new interview with actress Evelyn Stewart/Ida Galli
                        •Me and Duccio, an interview with Lorella De Luca, actress and wife of director Duccio Tessari
                        •Original Italian and English theatrical trailers
                        •Gallery of original promotional images
                        •Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm looking forward to that interview with Evelyn Stewart/Ida Galli, don't recall seeing her in any of these special features going back quite a ways. I hope it covers more that just this film in her career.
                          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Rewatching this for the first time in years, via Arrow's new release, I'm surprised to notice that the photographs of the murdered girl in the lab scene about 15-20 minutes into the picture are almost certainly real forensic photographs of a corpse. That soured the taste of the cup of tea I was drinking at the time.
                            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I know I'm both paranoid and colour blind but this looks like another Ritrovata release with issues.
                              Seems to have the characteristic weak gamma and yellow colour. But I thought Arrow were correcting these - they did for Deep Red at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X