Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	367195

Penda's Fen

A film by Alan Clarke

Written by David Rudkin

On Blu-ray & DVD

Originally shown on BBC1 in 1974 and rarely seen since, Penda's Fen has become the stuff of legend, its name invoking the spirit of a time when television had the power to provoke and astound.

Released for the very first time on Blu-ray and DVD on 23 May 2016 by the BFI, this astonishing work from Alan Clarke (Scum, Rita, Sue and Bob Too, The Firm) has been newly transferred in High Definition, and is presented with a newly created documentary featuring interviews with its writer David Rudkin and producer David Rose.

Exploring themes of personal and national identity, language, history and industrial progress, Penda's Fen is an unclassifiable drama that boldly weaves its exquisite, fantastical imagery with the rousing music of Elgar to tell a tale of ancient legends and sexual awakening which stands as one of British television's greatest ever achievements.

Special features
    -World premier release
    -Newly remastered in High Definition
    -The Landscape of Feelings: The road to Penda's Fen (2016, 16 mins): new documentary on the making of Rudkin and Clarke's ground-breaking drama, featuring an interviews with writer David Rudkin and producer David Rose, as well as contributions from Clarke collaborators such as writer David Yallop, actor Sean Chapman and playwright David Leland
    -Illustrated booklet with new writing by Sukhdev Sandhu and full credits

Blu-ray product details
    RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1222 / Cert 12
    UK / 1974 / colour / 89 mins / English, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / BD25 / 25fps / 1080p/50i / LPCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)

DVD product details
    RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIV2070 / Cert 12
    UK / 1974 / colour / 89 mins / English, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / DVD9 / PAL / 25fps / Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio (320kbps)
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Haven't seen this in years and preordered it as soon as it was announced. Excellent news.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

For anyone who's curious about why The Landscape of Feelings doesn't appear to be included in the BFI's big Alan Clarke box, that's because it's an extract from the massive documentary Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light. In other words, apart from dedicated opening and closing credits, the same footage is featured on both releases.

Comment

Working...
      X