88 Films Working on Joe D'Amato's Absurd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Films Working on Joe D'Amato's Absurd

Not much in the way of details yet, but...

"Friday Announcement part #2

The sequel to Anthropophagous, ABSURD aka ROSSO SANGUE aka ANTHROPOPHAGOUS 2 aka MONSTER HUNTER aka ZOMBIE 6: MONSTER HUNTER.
    We will shortly be launching a crowd-funding initiative to restore this from the original negative in 2K. We will also plan new extra features and some special packaging.

What are your thoughts? Will you support us?"
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Not sure if I'll kickstart it, but when (if) it's released I'll buy it just to get rid of the MYA bootleg from the shelf.

Comment

I won't support them on kickstart, I am sick of companies asking for this, but I will. buy it when it's released.

Comment

Originally posted by Fundi View Post
        I won't support them on kickstart, I am sick of companies asking for this, but I will. buy it when it's released.
        My sentiments exactly.
        "His lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in."
        -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Sling Blade' (1996)

"Some roads you shouldn't go down."
        -Billy Bob Thornton, 'Fargo' (2014)

Comment

I don't have a problem with kickstarting commercial releases per se. After all, Arrow's Borowzyck box probably wouldn't have happened without it, and Blutiger Freitag looks like it'll be a stellar release. But I agree it's starting to get tiresome with this specific company. However, if the crowdfunding is what separates a great release, with a new negative scan and a transfer with grain structure intact, from a mediocre one served straight from the Italian rights holders (like most stuff from BU and 88), I'm all for it. Let's face it, physical media has become a niche thing mostly for us collectors and cinephiles. An Argento or Fulci will probably make its money back no matter what, but an obscure film like Absurd, from a not very well known director like D'Amato... I can understand companies being hesistant about a more extravagant release. The kickstarter projects at least guarantee a break even, with customers buying directly from the company at full retail price instead of waiting for discounts. I don't see why this is such a bad thing really. It's the same as Arrow are doing, only they have made such a great name for themselves they don't have to kickstart project, but rather can count on most LE releases selling out before or close after release date.

I think we will see more of the industry moving in towards either the Arrow or 88 Films' business model in the coming years.
          enandalusiskhund
          An Andalusian Dog
          Last edited by enandalusiskhund; 04-05-2016, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I'd like to read a Kickstarter pitch from Code Red...

I'm pretty sure I've seen Absurd but I didn't like it at all. Seems like the only thing good about it is the ending i.e. the movie actually ends but there's some gore, too, I think?

Comment

I really like it but im happy with the DVD. I don't feel the need to have EVERYTHING on Blu ray especially when its probably not going to look all that great anyway. I have other things to spend money on besides shiny plastic discs.

Comment

88 Films just mentioned on Twitter that the BBFC passed Absurd completely uncut.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

UHD coming in June.

Click image for larger version

Name:	abs.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	428115
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                  X