Symptoms coming to Blu-Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clive Smith View Post
    I ordered the BFI release the other day... can't quite believe it.
    Yeah this has been lurking near the top of my list for years. Only DVD and Blu Ray though so my wait continues...
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      Only DVD and Blu Ray though so my wait continues...
      ??
      What else would you be waiting for?

Comment

Download? Streaming? View-Master?

Comment

yeah don't hold your breath for a UHD 4K blu ray haha, better go ahead and get the blu ray or DVD lol

Comment

Havent you heard about the BETAMAX revival? Symptoms on BETAMAX. Its the only way

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
              Havent you heard about the BETAMAX revival? Symptoms on BETAMAX. Its the only way
              That would indeed be grand but I was actually referring to the most common way of watching movies these days: digital sans the media. My disc rippers packed up and I don't want to spend $100 on a new 1 for tech that's borderline obsolete anyway.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

That would indeed be grand but I was actually referring to the most common way of watching movies these days: digital sans the media. My disc rippers packed up and I don't want to spend $100 on a new 1 for tech that's borderline obsolete anyway.
                Ah, I see. We actually do have streaming rights (it isn't always included in licensing contracts) to SYMPTOMS. We just need to find a platform for it.

Comment

I know buddy, just having a laugh. I knew what you were implying.

Comment

The 'Red Box' Ltd. Ed. of SYMPTOMS goes up for pre-order next Wednesday 03/30/16. http://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/pr...imited-edition

Exclusive Extras:

*Larraz on Larraz! Bonus DVD featuring a two-hour long archival interview with Jose Ramon Larraz! - Conducted in the late 90s and used as the basis for the Larraz episode of UK TV show Eurotika! (included as an extra on the main disc), the majority of this career-spanning interview has never been seen before.

*Exclusive booklet featuring a brand new essay from Writer/Critic Samm Deighan! - Samm is the editor of the Satanic Pandemonium blog, co-host of the Daughters of Darkness podcast, and the assistant web editor for excellent horror magazine Diabolique. She has contributed to Fangoria, Paracinema, and the book Satanic Panic: Pop-Cultural Paranoia in the 1980s, and is currently writing a book about WWII and cult cinema.

*1000 numbered copies in the usual red case that you've all come to love, or at least tolerate.

Comment

LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Why in the world is it 4:3? Seems an odd decision to make -- unless all they could find was a tv print?

Comment

Nope - it's taken from the original negative. The decision to go with a 4:3 ratio is a bit baffling, it seems highly unlikely it would have been composed for that in the mid '70s. Hopefully they'll share their reasoning at some point.

Comment

I chatted with Jared, it'll be addressed, I think.

Comment

Having had a spin through the new transfer, I can confirm that the image is certainly croppable to 1.66:1 and even 1.85:1, but it looks very tight indeed (especially at 1.85:1).

The last time I personally had to make a framing decision when supplied with a 4:3 master was for Russ Meyer's The Seven Minutes, which was a total no-brainer - I've never seen so much headroom in my life, and when reframed in widescreen the compositions looked properly dynamic in a way that they emphatically didn't in 4:3.

But with this, it's pretty much the other way round, and so I can absolutely see why the BFI and Mondo Macabro endorsed 4:3. And these people are not philistines - I suspect this would have been discussed in considerable detail during production and authoring.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelB View Post
                                Having had a spin through the new transfer, I can confirm that the image is certainly croppable to 1.66:1 and even 1.85:1, but it looks very tight indeed (especially at 1.85:1).

The last time I personally had to make a framing decision when supplied with a 4:3 master was for Russ Meyer's The Seven Minutes, which was a total no-brainer - I've never seen so much headroom in my life, and when reframed in widescreen the compositions looked properly dynamic in a way that they emphatically didn't in 4:3.

But with this, it's pretty much the other way round, and so I can absolutely see why the BFI and Mondo Macabro endorsed 4:3. And these people are not philistines - I suspect this would have been discussed in considerable detail during production and authoring.
                                The OGN was 4:3. There are indications that it was shot so that it could be shown in multiple aspect ratios if need be.

But as Michael points out above there is distinct visual information that would be compromised by matting to 1.85:1 or even 1.66:1. The film certainly wouldn't be ruined by going wide, but certain key scenes would be excessively tight.

You have to remember - most of the guys making films in the 70s grew up on films of the 30s and 40s, and that's certainly the case with Larraz. For a lot of them, widescreen was a commercial compromise.

Anyway, the proof is in the pudding. The disc will be out soon. I suspect much like our decision to go 4:3 on COUNTESS PERVERSE and HOW TO SEDUCE A VIRGIN, no one will say much about it after they take a look.

Comment

Working...
                                X