Symptoms coming to Blu-Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clive Smith View Post
    Ha, absolutely. I'm sure Paul will notice soon and add his tuppence-worth.
    Oh, yes I'm very excited about this. I emailed the BFI a couple of years ago when SYMPTOMS was screened via a 35mm print in Brussels, and received a fairly positive response (I think I posted it here) which suggested that even if the leads were positive, it may of course take several years for the film to be released, if at all. This has come round much sooner than I could have hoped.
    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I emailed her a couple of years ago to see if this was going to be distributed somehow but got no response.
      Heh, I asked her the same and she just said something like "I hope it gets released someday". I know she sent some DVD-R screeners out to some for review but I never had the nerve to ask for one.
      LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Yeah, I'd cheekily asked for a screener too but suspect she thought it might be... distributed.

Comment

Yeah, I'd cheekily asked for a screener too but suspect she thought it might be... distributed.
          A logical fear in this day and age. This is really the perfect venue for it. It sounds quite fascinating. From what I gather its nothing like a typical documentary.

Comment

Awesome. Had thought this would never happen. You can tell how beautifully shot this was even in the boots so it will be amazing on blu.
            Randy G
            Last edited by Randy G; 02-05-2016, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
              Oh, yes I'm very excited about this. I emailed the BFI a couple of years ago when SYMPTOMS was screened via a 35mm print in Brussels, and received a fairly positive response (I think I posted it here) which suggested that even if the leads were positive, it may of course take several years for the film to be released, if at all. This has come round much sooner than I could have hoped.
              Yes, I remember you posting that here, Paul.

I too have been dying to see that documentary ever since I got wind of it. I have a made for television doc on Larraz that's pretty god albeit way too brief. This is shaping up to be a contender for release of the year for me.

The reason I mentioned DEVIATION, WHIRLPOOL, and SCREAM AND DIE here is that, to me at least, they have certain similarities in tone and twisted atmosphere as SYMPTOMS. WHIRLPOOL in particular I'm dying to see in a gorgeous restoration. That time-coded eyesore is a real drag. That film is right up there with SYMPTOMS for me, one of his major works. That it's scored with one of Cipriani's finest soundtracks is the cherry on top.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I'd also pony up for SCREAM AND DIE. I saw this at the drive in under the title THE HOUSE THAT VANISHED in the 70's.
                "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                  The reason I mentioned DEVIATION, WHIRLPOOL, and SCREAM AND DIE here is that, to me at least, they have certain similarities in tone and twisted atmosphere as SYMPTOMS. WHIRLPOOL in particular I'm dying to see in a gorgeous restoration. That time-coded eyesore is a real drag. That film is right up there with SYMPTOMS for me, one of his major works. That it's scored with one of Cipriani's finest soundtracks is the cherry on top.
                  If you watch his early stuff in the order he made them it seems like everything was leading up to Symptoms. Watching Whirlpool, its incredible to see just how many of what would become his visual and thematic calling cards were already firmly in place. Deviation expanded upon it, and Emma, puertas oscuras perfectly bridged the gap between Scream and Die and Symptoms.

I'd love to see Whirlpool get restored too, its a big favorite of mine. Such a nasty, seedy film but with real artistry behind it.

Comment

The UK release is now available for pre-order at Amazon. I can't easily add a link on my phone but it has a release date of 18th April and appears to be part of the flipside line.
                    https://carnalcinema.blog

Comment

Originally posted by s.chivers View Post
                      The UK release is now available for pre-order at Amazon. I can't easily add a link on my phone but it has a release date of 18th April and appears to be part of the flipside line.
                      Nice that they are continuing that line, one of my favorites.

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yay!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	349868

Comment

I ordered the BFI release the other day... can't quite believe it.

Comment

Likewise.

Comment

Working...
                                X