Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Modern Danish Cinema Thread: Mads Mikkelsen, Refn, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jack J View Post
    For some odd reason Refn's four Danish films still aren't on blu-ray in the English speaking world. I got a French blu of BLEEDER and three German blurays of PUSHER 1-3.

Correction: the first PUSHER is on bluray in Australia!
    https://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=24539
    If you see it for sale anywhere let me know!
    Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
      Don't forget Bleeder. The videostore scene is the highlight of danish cinema in my world.

On topic: Finally caught up on Another Round. It was good, but perhaps not as fantastic as critics will have you believe. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit. And it made me wanna go on a drinking binge for some reason....
      Apologies for the late reply, Chris, but yes, BLEEDER is excellent.

I rewatched PUSHER II (2004) last night. I remember being impressed with it before, but goddamn, that's an incredible film! Mikkelsen is superb as Tonny, and the naturalism of the photography and performances amplifies the grittiness of the narrative.

A rewatch of PUSHER III is in order tonight, if I can find the time.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
        Apologies for the late reply, Chris, but yes, BLEEDER is excellent.

I rewatched PUSHER II (2004) last night. I remember being impressed with it before, but goddamn, that's an incredible film! Mikkelsen is superb as Tonny, and the naturalism of the photography and performances amplifies the grittiness of the narrative.

A rewatch of PUSHER III is in order tonight, if I can find the time.
        I don't think I've ever seen part three. I think we just have the first two. Will have to look into it!
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
          I don't think I've ever seen part three. I think we just have the first two. Will have to look into it!
          I consider it magnificent! I like how Winding Refn focused the two sequels on the two other characters.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Riders of Justice literal translation though would be Riders of Righteousness

Anders Thomas Jensen shows who is the shit in danish cinema. Mads Mikkelsen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and the rest of the boys go apeshit in this black comedy / revenge film. Funnies film I've seen in ages!

I really don't want to spoil the plot on this one. Just see it ASAP.
            Awesome fucking film.
            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Not sure if this has been mentioned here (I couldn't find a post about it) but Lars von Trier has finally made a third season of RIGET (aka The Kingdom). His film company, Zentropa, has also restored the first two seasons (there's been quite a bit of discussion about this as they've changed the original aspect ratio from 4:3 to widescreen - there are uploads on their channel). Hopefully they'll release a bluray set at some stage.

Teaser trailer:

Zentropa's YouTube channel:
              https://www.youtube.com/c/ZentropaProductionsAps/videos
              Jack J
              Last edited by Jack J; 09-12-2022, 05:38 PM.
              2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

• I am so excited for Riget III. Best thing Viaplay ever invested in as far as I am concerned. The remastered 1 and 2 are available to stream there, and 3 is coming in october I believe.

Comment

• That's awesome. First foreign "movie" I ever saw. I was very impressed with myself at the time, haha.
                  Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Having watched the first two released episodes of Riget III, I have to admit I was not expecting it to be this good. It is simply superb! On par with the old seasons, possibly even better!

Comment

Having watched the first two released episodes of Riget III, I have to admit I was not expecting it to be this good. It is simply superb! On par with the old seasons, possibly even better!
                      Hmmm. How do I see it? Or can't I?
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Nice to see Von Trier active again considering his health issues.
                        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post

Hmmm. How do I see it? Or can't I?
                          It will be released on Mubi in the US in November, they say. (Along with the remastered versions of 1 and 2)

Comment

It will be released on Mubi in the US in November, they say. (Along with the remastered versions of 1 and 2)
                            Thanks! Will look into what Mubi is, haha.
                            Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• FWIW, Another Round has been added to Netflix in the UK according to a post I saw on twitter this morning.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                FWIW, Another Round has been added to Netflix in the UK according to a post I saw on twitter this morning.
                                Brits should check it out if interested.

New picture going around Facebook (and probably elsewhere...) of Mads in the upcoming Indiana Jones film...

Click image for larger version

Name:	316416960_392433463351595_7572631687691282153_n.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	405058

Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Working...
                                X