Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Modern Danish Cinema Thread: Mads Mikkelsen, Refn, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I spent a few years in Melbourne in the 90s and my fave TV channel was the ethnic channel SBS. I got a VPN a while back and I'm just rediscovering SBS now. It's a very different channel now I must say. There's actually heaps of cool stuff there. My fave French show, ENGRENAGES aka SPIRAL is there for streaming (all 8 seasons!).

And for those of you who want dat Danish stuff there's quite a few things, both films and TV shows (and a Danish cooking show it seems!). All subbed in English.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/search/Danish
    2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack J View Post
      They certainly did! I watched a couple of episodes yesterday, and I laughed my head off. It's just so bizarre.
      https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-giant-penis
      It's basically A Town Called Panic (Panique au village) with fewer barnyard animals and much more penis. Recommended.

Comment

• Thomas Vinterberg first Danish citizen to get Best Director Oscar nomination.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/03/th...on-1234623807/
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Good for him!

On topic of modern danish cinema: VODed Shorta the other week. A cop movie (Shorta apparently means cop in arabic or some such language) about two danish cops with racist tendancies who get caught in a ghetto when a riot breaks out. It was all right. Obviously a very low budget film, but still well made for such limited resources.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            Thomas Vinterberg first Danish citizen to get Best Director Oscar nomination.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/03/th...on-1234623807/
            I'd rather he win best director & Quo Vadis, Aida? wins best foreign film as that Bosnian war film is a much better film than Another Round, even though I like both films.

Comment

• Finally got to see Another Round the other night on Blu-ray. It was more serious than I expected it to be but I still felt it had an underlying dark humor to it. Maybe, being a teacher myself as well as a bit of an introvert, it was easier for me to connect to the storyline. I, too, might be a more effective teacher if I was slightly tipsy! Thankfully I work with young children and they give me enough strength to get through the hard times. I'm glad this film has been well-received considering my appreciation for Danish films in general. Hopefully it will start a trend (I'm sure it won't though, ha!) as there are so many other great international films that Americans would appreciate if only they gave them a chance.

On a side note, I liked the end bit with the dancing. I'm not a fan of dance scenes in general, but I feel like it really showed a change in the overall apathy of the character well. Also... it was Mads jumping around, so go figure.
              Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Riders of Justice literal translation though would be Riders of Righteousness

Anders Thomas Jensen shows who is the shit in danish cinema. Mads Mikkelsen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and the rest of the boys go apeshit in this black comedy / revenge film. Funnies film I've seen in ages!

I really don't want to spoil the plot on this one. Just see it ASAP.

Comment

• I've had it on pre-order at Amazon for a while. Just got an update this week that it's supposed to ship September 10th!
                  Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
                    I've had it on pre-order at Amazon for a while. Just got an update this week that it's supposed to ship September 10th!
                    Excellent!

Comment

• Now its arriving this Saturday.
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                        Riders of Justice literal translation though would be Riders of Righteousness

Anders Thomas Jensen shows who is the shit in danish cinema. Mads Mikkelsen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and the rest of the boys go apeshit in this black comedy / revenge film. Funnies film I've seen in ages!

I really don't want to spoil the plot on this one. Just see it ASAP.
                        This was really solid, I had a good time with it. The right mix of black comedy and action, the humor worked well and never felt out of place. It was stylish enough to look good but never distract from the story, it was paced well and the entire cast did a great job.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I knew you'd like it. The nerd-squad was such a hilarious trio. :)

Comment

• Not so 'modern' but I rewatched the original PUSHER a few weeks ago. Still stands up. An excellent little film. Keen to revisit the sequels now.
                            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                              Not so 'modern' but I rewatched the original PUSHER a few weeks ago. Still stands up. An excellent little film. Keen to revisit the sequels now.
                              Don't forget Bleeder. The videostore scene is the highlight of danish cinema in my world.

On topic: Finally caught up on Another Round. It was good, but perhaps not as fantastic as critics will have you believe. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit. And it made me wanna go on a drinking binge for some reason....

Comment

• For some odd reason Refn's four Danish films still aren't on blu-ray in the English speaking world. I got a French blu of BLEEDER and three German blurays of PUSHER 1-3.

Correction: the first PUSHER is on bluray in Australia!
                                https://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=24539
                                2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Working...
                                X