No announcement yet.

Irreversible on blu ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the Altered Innocence edition of the original. The fire extinguisher scene now looks more brutal than ever. I've seen the film a few times before, but I always forget just how fucking horrifying "the scene" is.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

I saw it theatrically and without spoiling things, I've never seen more people walkout of a theater than I did during 'the scene.'
      Did you feel nauseous at all during the Rectum sequence? I've heard that the low-frequency buzz that he used on the soundtrack to cause disorientation was designed to work only at the theater.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

Did you feel nauseous at all during the Rectum sequence? I've heard that the low-frequency buzz that he used on the soundtrack to cause disorientation was designed to work only at the theater.
        100% yes, without exaggerating, I thought I was going to throw up.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Could have been worse, could have been the brown note.
          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!

Oh my! That was a difficult watch. I was minutes away from turning it off early on. The spinning camera was almost too much. Thankfully it calmed down when it did. Revenge films are one of my favorite genres and this might be the best. I’m not sure starting with the revenge and presenting the rape before the characters are established would work in any other film. But it sure does in Irreversible, and its due to how expertly handled everything is. The revenge and rape are so brutal that it didn’t require for you to care about them first. Its unthinkable how the camera didn’t look away and give us a moment to breathe. Its as painful as it should be, but often isn’t in these films. Following up with the more mundane aspects of their lives while knowing their fate, wasn’t easy either. Its powerful stuff. Wow! Certainly not fun, but still an amazing and unique experience. It will be interesting to see if this film is able to be seen/purchased decades from now.

The Altered Innocence BD looks and sounds excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

I've got the soundtrack on CD still.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                !!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!

Oh my! That was a difficult watch. I was minutes away from turning it off early on. The spinning camera was almost too much. Thankfully it calmed down when it did. Revenge films are one of my favorite genres and this might be the best. I’m not sure starting with the revenge and presenting the rape before the characters are established would work in any other film. But it sure does in Irreversible, and its due to how expertly handled everything is. The revenge and rape are so brutal that it didn’t require for you to care about them first. Its unthinkable how the camera didn’t look away and give us a moment to breathe. Its as painful as it should be, but often isn’t in these films. Following up with the more mundane aspects of their lives while knowing their fate, wasn’t easy either. Its powerful stuff. Wow! Certainly not fun, but still an amazing and unique experience. It will be interesting to see if this film is able to be seen/purchased decades from now.

The Altered Innocence BD looks and sounds excellent.
                I'm not sure I've watched it again since seeing it in the theater. At the time, didn't think I needed to but I'm starting to wonder if I should, just to see if my feelings on it have changed at all.

I remember my immediate reaction when it was over being anger, liked I'd been had, and not thinking this was anything more than just a rape revenge movie told in reverse with some weird camerawork and audio tricks. But it stuck with me and a few days later I came around and felt more sad than angry, mainly for the reasons you point out above. I'm curious how I'd react to it now. Being more familiar with Noe's work and MO might let me view it from a different angle as well, as I had no idea who he was when I saw it the first time.
                Ian Jane
                Administrator
                Last edited by Ian Jane; 06-01-2023, 09:12 AM.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That Thomas Bangalter soundtrack is great. Got the CD free with a DVD I think.
                  I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I just can't watch stuff like this anymore. I guess I'm old and sensitive now, haha. The film is well made but it's just too much for me now.
                    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                      Revenge films are one of my favorite genres and this might be the best.
                      Without adding too much in the way of a spoiler on my part, I just wanted to comment that this is probably the most anti-revenge revenge film ever made, and that seems to be the point. It may just be a misinterpretation on my part, but i felt a whiff of contempt on the part of the director for fans of the genre (which, like you, would include me).
                      VHS will never die!

Comment

A bit of self hatred is a good thing.

I really dig Funny Things as well for many of the reasons it seems to drive many horror fans nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                          A bit of self hatred is a good thing.

I really dig Funny Things as well for many of the reasons it seems to drive many horror fans nuts.
                          Yeah, if I recall correctly, the director of FUNNY GAMES seemed to be a little more explicit in his contempt for the audience.
                          VHS will never die!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne Marshall View Post

Without adding too much in the way of a spoiler on my part, I just wanted to comment that this is probably the most anti-revenge revenge film ever made, and that seems to be the point. It may just be a misinterpretation on my part, but i felt a whiff of contempt on the part of the director for fans of the genre (which, like you, would include me).
                            !!!SPOILERS!!!

That is a great point I hadn't considered but now that you mention it seems obvious. I think revenge films are interesting because the characters are usually flawed or at least complex and there is weight behind the action. IRREVERSIBLE is a gut punch that doesn't leave you satisfied so I guess the brilliance is that it dared to be so different. I wonder now how I would have felt if I had gone into it without knowing that its was a tough watch. Nothing had been spoiled other than knowing that its brutality surpassed most films, and that may have been enough for me to let myself go. I could see why someone would feel betrayed or angry on a first watch. I likely wouldn't have made it past the first 10 minutes if I hadn't known to first brace myself.

Honestly, I'm still shaken by the experience.

Comment

Do we still have to do spoilers for this now that Jason's seen it?

Comment

One thing I admired on this recent watch is how much La Tenia physically looks like a monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X