Random FRANCO Ramblings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
    anyone who thinks all Franco films have bad camerawork needs to see this.
    I think anyone who thinks all Franco films have bad camerawork just hasn't seen enough to make any sort of judgement call. Yes, there are often bad shots in many of his films but the fact that more often than not he can balance them out with, as you say, some very striking imagery sort of makes it a moot point in my book. I'd say, the One Shot productions not withstanding, that most of his stuff is well shot on the whole, though his style is certainly unconventional.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      I think anyone who thinks all Franco films have bad camerawork just hasn't seen enough to make any sort of judgement call. Yes, there are often bad shots in many of his films but the fact that more often than not he can balance them out with, as you say, some very striking imagery sort of makes it a moot point in my book. I'd say, the One Shot productions not withstanding, that most of his stuff is well shot on the whole, though his style is certainly unconventional.
      Yeah, whenever I hear someone call Franco a hack or talk about his bad camerawork that's usually a pretty big clue that I'm not interested in their opinion on film. :)

I mean, it's inevitable that someone who works as fast and cheap as he does is going to end up with some ugly shots, mistakes etc. But that only makes it all the more impressive how frequently he produces work that is not only visually interesting/attractive but idiosyncratic and uniquely Franco.

Will have to check out Macumba. I've only seen a couple of his 80's films ad they were definitely a mixed bag. The description above, though, makes it sound like this one will be right up my alley...

Comment

Just to clarify...I don't personally think Franco films are poorly shot. I'm a fan and own a surprisingly large number of his films - bootlegs as well as dvds. He is in fact in the top 3 most represented directors in my collection. But that is the general impression many who have only seen one or two of his films - or those who have only heard about him and haven't actually ventured into Franco land - have. Is it fair? No, but it's the truth.

That's why I never posted in the Franco thread at AVM and why I shouldn't have here, the TRUEBELIEVERS are gonna jump down your goddamn throat...jesus...
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I didn't get the impression that was your take on the matter at all, Andrew - sorry if it came across that way.

You're right, there is a large contigent of people who like to rag on his work for the shots that are out of focus and that may not be framed as well as they could have, but they're failing to see the forest for the trees, so to speak. Those shots are there throughout his filmography, no sense in denying that, but Apronikoff is probably right in attributing that to the sheer volume of his filmography.

And the guy continues to work, even at this stage in the game, which impresses me even if most of his recent output does not.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I also think it's interesting that he polarizes people so much. I don't understand the people who make blanket statements like 'I hate all Jess Franco films' when there are undeniably some great films to his credit, and at the same time I can't see what others see in some of his other (and in my opinion) lesser films. I like a lot of what he's done, and there's a fair bit I can't get into either. Yet people seem to go to war with one another over his movies more than they do over the output a lot of other cult/Eurocult directors for some reason.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Franco is an eccentric. His career is an impossibility. I haven't made up my mind about him yet. I won't be making excuses for him in any case because his ideas are often better than his execution. Other filmmakers work under similar circumstances or worse and get much better footage technically. I recently bought about 25 Franco DVDs adding to the handful I already had and I plan to get more. From what I've seen, I think Franco's ass was often saved by his cameraman / photographer. Except when he holds the camera himself. Last night I was annoyed by the deliberate blurring of the love scene and all the unnecessary zooms. Either he's not technically competent when he shoots himself or he didn't have a focus puller or he didn't care. There is nothing to see in a film that's so out of focus it's a blur for extended periods of time. But the point is I always give Franco a chance, and when I have the money, I spend it on his DVD's like a good consumer.

Franco's films are poorly shot but I watch them anyhow. Knowing what to expect, I don't complain. Women In Cell Block 9 is utterly compelling even though it's barely competent technically. I'm glad I've got it, finally.
              "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
              - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                Women In Cell Block 9 is utterly compelling even though it's barely competent technically. I'm glad I've got it, finally.
                If it's compelling though, is it poorly shot? Can it be both? It's possible I guess but if it works, then regardless of technique, by default it's probably not poorly shot in that it's accomplished something. I guess maybe it comes down to intent - whether or not he was working on some sort of idea that he managed to successfully pull off or whether he was just sloppy and got lucky is probably the subject of an interesting debate.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Can a poorly shot film be compelling? Yes. Franco's limitations impair his storytelling. It is no exaggeration to say he shoots himself in the foot even as he shows us something we've never been shown before. Not working with a sound crew is part of the problem. Faster and cheaper to do the sound in post. But doing the sound in post, and dubbing it so badly, robs the film of its emotional impact. Women In Cell Block 9 would more compelling if it were better directed. I wish he had laid down some track to follow the escaped prisoners running through the jungle. There are easy setups he could have used that he doesn't seem to know about. Certainly the talent in front of the camera is committed and doing hard work under adverse conditions. Sometimes they even remember to stand on their tiptoes when chained up but just as often they get tired and forget.

In a way, the home DVD market is the perfect venue for Franco. The 40 inch HD screen covers up a multitude of sins. I accept his films the way they are, regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                    That's why I never posted in the Franco thread at AVM and why I shouldn't have here, the TRUEBELIEVERS are gonna jump down your goddamn throat...jesus...
                    Sounds like you thought I was jumping down your throat...if so I apologize, because that certainly wasn't my intention. I read your earlier comment as expressing mild exasperation at the scorn a lot of critics/viewers have towards Franco and I was agreeing with you.

Comment

• Well, using a currency converter and a google translater I finally managed to buy the VIP box:

Shipping: Standard Shipping
                      Item: EUR 63.98
                      Packaging & Shipping: EUR 31.00
                      ------
                      Total to pay: EUR 94.98
                      Total bill: U.S. $ 120.75 **

Delivery date: 21 July 2012 - 9th August 2012
                      2 "The Jess Franco Collection (8 DVDs)"
                      Josephine Chaplin, DVD, EUR 31.99
                      In Stock.

Somehow the price double during the transaction. I must be out of mind spending this much money on Franco.

I bought WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9 and BARBED WIRE DOLLS individually but they are also in the box-set. I bought them new a week ago. BARBED WIRE DOLLS hasn't arrived yet. If anyone wants to buy them I'll let you have them half-price, and the latter will sealed. $25 each including shipping. Paypal and in the states only.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                        Well, using a currency converter and a google translater I finally managed to buy the VIP box:

Shipping: Standard Shipping
                        Item: EUR 63.98
                        Packaging & Shipping: EUR 31.00
                        ------
                        Total to pay: EUR 94.98
                        Total bill: U.S. $ 120.75 **

Delivery date: 21 July 2012 - 9th August 2012
                        2 "The Jess Franco Collection (8 DVDs)"
                        Josephine Chaplin, DVD, EUR 31.99
                        In Stock.

Somehow the price double during the transaction. I must be out of mind spending this much money on Franco.

I bought WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9 and BARBED WIRE DOLLS individually but they are also in the box-set. I bought them new a week ago. BARBED WIRE DOLLS hasn't arrived yet. If anyone wants to buy them I'll let you have them half-price, and the latter will sealed. $25 each including shipping. Paypal and in the states only.

I think you added it to your cart twice -- 2 x 31.99 = 63.98. If you contact them right away, you might be able to fix it.

Comment

• Jeez. You're right. I managed to cancel it and be-buy it. I think.

Thanks for catching that.

If it had been up there last week I would not have bought two of the DVDs individually.
                          Richard--W
                          a straight arrow
                          Last edited by Richard--W; 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• 4 x 31.99 = Franco love-fest.

Comment

• VIP's Official Directors Cut series should be a priority for Francophiliacs. Their restoration and mastering of Women In Cell Block 9 is as clean and (insofar as the lensmanship allows) razor sharp as the releases from Blue Underground and Mondo Macabro. Plus they are region free, despite the box claiming region 2.

The box-set contains:

1975 Barbed Wire Dolls
                              1976 Jack the Ripper
                              1977 Blue Rita
                              1977 Ilsa, the Wicked Warden
                              1977 Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun
                              1977 Voodoo Passion
                              1977 Wicked Women
                              1977 Women In Cell Block 9

Each DVD is also available individually.

VIP also released several more, but not in a box-set.
                              A collector's work is never done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apronikoff View Post
                                Sounds like you thought I was jumping down your throat...if so I apologize, because that certainly wasn't my intention. I read your earlier comment as expressing mild exasperation at the scorn a lot of critics/viewers have towards Franco and I was agreeing with you.
                                My apologies to you and Ian for misreading you both. Sometimes things that would be obvious when speaking in person don't seem that way online. It's all cool.
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X