No announcement yet.

Random FRANCO Ramblings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you Franco fans think of LUCKY THE INSCRUTABLE? I love EUGENIE...but this film is by far the most fun film of his I've seen. A very light hearted and silly eurospy parody. The word balloons and general pop art feeling make this one that could have been included in that recent article in Video Watchdog on Continental Op (or was it mentioned and I've forgotten?). It's a shame this one isn't available on a nice widescreen dvd. The sequence where they are chasing Beba Loncar across the rooftops while Bruno Nicolai's "Spy Chase" tune plays is everything I love about eurocult. Beba isn't in the film long enough for my tastes but she has a very funny parting line. Rosalba Neri also has a memorable role....yummy. The entire Nicolai score is wonderful btw.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Apronikoff View Post
      Well, it looks like you can still get it at a reasonable price directly from Ascot. They list the film at 24 euro, and the box at 69 euro.

Unless you aren't interested in the rest of the films in the box, personally I think it's the way to go...unless I'm badly mistaken, the Swiss releases of Portugese Nun, Women in Cellblock 9, Wicked Women, and Barbed Wire Dolls are the only uncut official releases of those films so it ends up being worth the price tag.
      Can you provide a link to Ascot website? I hope it has an English-friendly interface.

I want the box.

Richard
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

http://www.ascotdvd.com
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          Yeah, and for what it's worth, I had a good experience buying from them before. I import buy LOTS of movies, but am always nervous trying out a new seller for the first time. But Ascot responded to my email inquiries quickly and I had no problems with my order.

Comment

Thanks for your input, gentlemen.

I have a few Franco discs -- Orloff, Count Dracula and a couple of others.
            I just got paid for a job and I decided to invest in some Franco. Here are the new additions to my Franco collection:

1999 99 Women -- director's cut -- Blue Underground
            1969 Marquies de Sade's Justine -- Blue Underground
            1970 Nightmares Come At Night -- Shriek Show Media Blasters
            1970 She Killed In Ecstasy -- Image
            1971 Devil Came From Akasava -- full screen -- Image
            1972 Daughter of Dracula -- UK Redemption
            1972 Dracula Prisoner of Frankenstein -- Image
            1972 The Rites of Frankenstein -- Spanish theatrical edit -- Image
            1973 Female Vampire - non-horror hard version -- Image $30.
            1973 Sinister Eyes of Dr. Orloff -- Innervision
            1973 Sinner -- Mondo Macabro
            1974 Countess Perverse -- Mondo Macabro
            1974 Lorna the Exorcist -- Mondo Macabro
            1975 Barbed Wire Dolls -- VIP
            1975 Women Behind Bars -- Blue Underground
            1977 Ilsa the Wicked Warden - uncut -- Anchor Bay
            1977 Women In Cell Block 9 -- VIP
            1980 The Devil Hunter -- Severin
            1981 Sadomania -- Blue Underground
            1983 Diamonds of Kilimandjaro -- Shriek Show Media Blasters
            1983 Oasis of the Zombies -- Image Euroshock
            1985 Golden Temple Amazons -- Shriek Show Media Blasters

All on their way. There might be enough money left to get the VIP box and X-Rated Cult's Die Nonnen von Clichy: Le Demones.
            The rest will have to wait until I get paid for the next job.

Richard
            Richard--W
            a straight arrow
            Last edited by Richard--W; 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              What do you Franco fans think of LUCKY THE INSCRUTABLE? I love EUGENIE...but this film is by far the most fun film of his I've seen. A very light hearted and silly eurospy parody. The word balloons and general pop art feeling make this one that could have been included in that recent article in Video Watchdog on Continental Op (or was it mentioned and I've forgotten?). It's a shame this one isn't available on a nice widescreen dvd. The sequence where they are chasing Beba Loncar across the rooftops while Bruno Nicolai's "Spy Chase" tune plays is everything I love about eurocult. Beba isn't in the film long enough for my tastes but she has a very funny parting line. Rosalba Neri also has a memorable role....yummy. The entire Nicolai score is wonderful btw.
              I didn't know LUCKY THE INSCRUTABLE had been released.

Where did you find it?

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                I didn't know LUCKY THE INSCRUTABLE had been released.

Where did you find it?

Richard
                It hasn't been released unfortunately. I have a pan and scan copy from a trade. As I said above, I wish someone would release a nice widescreen dvd.

Comment

I think I found it, thanks.

So what do Francophiliacs think of LA FILLE DE DRACULA (1972)?
                  I gather is not widely seen nor popular among the fans?

Sinister Cinema sells it on DVD-R as Daughter of Dracula. I just bought the Rendemption / U.K. edition and looking forward to seeing what Franco does with girl. I assume they are the same film and not different versions.

Richard

Comment

The Redemption UK DVD is apparently identical to the X-Rated release, Richard.

I like the film, to be honest. It's got that obsession with family that some of Franco's best movies of this period show (eg, VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD, EUGENIE DE SADE, LORNA THE EXORCIST and THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MIRROR). It's not particularly well-paced though, I don't think: the narrative stops and starts and sometimes crunches along. However, it's definitely worth watching at least once.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Guess I bought the right one, then.

Which Franco film is well-paced?

Where did you get The Other Side of the Mirror? I've been looking all over for that DVD . Next payday I'll be buying several Spanish DVDs of Franco films that haven't been released here. The Other Side of the Mirror is not among them, that I can find. It sounds like one of his most interesting films.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                        Which Franco film is well-paced?
                        Good point. However, with some of the films the off-kilter pacing works better than with others; I guess, with some it seems more organic than with some of the others. With Franco movies, it's arguably all alchemy though - which is the pleasure of his films, I'd argue.
                        Where did you get The Other Side of the Mirror? I've been looking all over for that DVD . Next payday I'll be buying several Spanish DVDs of Franco films that haven't been released here. The Other Side of the Mirror is not among them, that I can find. It sounds like one of his most interesting films.
                        It's not had an official DVD release yet, Richard. It's one of the hard-to-find De Nesle pictures. Perhaps Mondo Macabro will add it to their roster at some point. It would be nice if they did.
                        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Redemption U.K. offers the 103-minute directors cut of Die Nonnen von Clichy: Le Demons:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Demons-D...=2QZRWQNUDQ6XG

From the reviews, it appears that Franco probably edited this version for DVD himself. My question is, how does it compare in quality and presentation to the second disc in X-Rated Cult's box-set? I've been trying to find that at a sane price. It is out of print and unavailable on their website. Does anyone know of a good source? I really want to buy this film (today, if possible) and will appreciate any suggestions.

Richard

Comment

It's from the same source, I think, Richard. The X-Rated also contains a longer -but not English-friendly -cut of the movie, which is worth watching even if you don't understand the lingo.
                            Paul L
                            Scholar of Sleaze
                            Last edited by Paul L; 07-09-2012, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I picked up Redemption's 2011 pressing of Die Nonnen von Clichy: Le Demones, the 103 minute Director Cut. But I'm still keeping an eye open for the X-Rated Kult box-set.

Found a number of unreleased Franco films at European Trash Cinema, in case anyone is interested. Except for the nun box, that pretty much brings an end to my Franco hunt. Now it's a matter of watching.

Richard

Comment

I can see why MACUMBA SEXUAL is considered Franco's best film from this period. I really liked the dreamy feeling this one has, and the photography is stunning - lone figures wandering across miles and miles of desert... seriously, anyone who thinks all Franco films have bad camerawork needs to see this. It's basically a loose reworking of VAMPYROS LESBOS, doesn't have the killer music that one did but Lina Romay gives an amazingly brave performance and the ending is unforgettable. It's also the first film I've seen Ajita Wilson in where she struck me as the only person who could have played the role. Great stuff and I'm just sorry I waited so long to watch it.

Comment

Working...
                                X