Yakuza films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yakuza films

I looked for another thread but did not see one. Has anyone heard anything about any future North American blu-ray releases for BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR OR HUMANITY films? Or any of Kinji Fukasaku gangster films? I have a handful of dvd-r's that 'Cannibal King' released but titles are escaping me at the moment.

Another fave that I'd love to see a blu-ray for is VIOLENT STREETS directed by Hideo Gosha. I use to have a vhs copy direct from a Japanese pre-record that a contact in Japan sent me & later bought the subtitled dvd-r from C.K. Is there a Japanese release for it?

The C.K. discs I have are: HOKURIKU PROXY WAR, THREE MAD DOG BROTHERS, MACHINEGUN DRAGON, VIOLENT STREETS, & COPS VS THUGS.

Legit releases I have is the YAKUZA PAPERS set, STREET MOBSTER, & GRAVEYARD OF HONOR.
    Keeth
    Last edited by Keeth; 03-19-2015, 09:22 PM.

I'm pretty sure the BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR OR HUMANITY series has been released on Blu-ray in Japan, but I've seen no news about an English friendly release. However, last month, Marc Walkow, who used to create DVD special features, among other things, tweeted, "Is it safe to go back on the internet? I've been researching Kinji Fukasaku for a project - what have the rest of y'all been up to tonight?" and, earlier this month, "My head is filled with nothing but Hiroshima-ben and Toshiaki Tsushima's blaring trumpets & surf guitar these days." Unfortunately, I'm not sure if he is still creating special features for Blu-rays/DVDs, so this Fukasaku project could be any number of things.

Comment

Recommendations for other violent yakuza films would be most welcome, too. The last one I saw was OUTRAGE. Has anyone seen the sequel?

OUTLAW KILLERS: THREE MAD DOG BROTHERS is another fave. I love the barb-wire wrapped weaponry! I'm going to have to pull out these films out & re-watch them all soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Keeth View Post
        Recommendations for other violent yakuza films would be most welcome, too. The last one I saw was OUTRAGE. Has anyone seen the sequel?
        Christian reviewed it here:

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...Beyond-Outrage

If you dug the first one, you'll probably enjoy this one too. You really can't go wrong with Kitano.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Toei released Violent Streets on DVD a few years ago (no subs of course). I never picked it up because I already have the French DVD. I agree, it's an amazing film.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            Christian reviewed it here:

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...Beyond-Outrage

If you dug the first one, you'll probably enjoy this one too. You really can't go wrong with Kitano.
            Thanks for the link!

I remember seeing something on HDNet about the sequel but they stopped running new movies which is where I saw OUTRAGE on before finding a used copy of the dvd. Definitely going to pick up the blu of the sequel.

Comment

It appears that Film Movement has the US rights to Hideo Gosha's Violent Streets. They also seem to have Samurai Wolf and Samurai Wolf 2.

Someone on the Blu-ray.com forum said they got confirmation from FM that these will be getting released on Blu-ray.
              Derrick King
              Waterfall Puncher
              Last edited by Derrick King; 11-15-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Best news in ages imo, finally someone to fill the void after AnimEigo!

Comment

Working...
                X