No announcement yet.

Toho to Produce New Godzilla Movie - Shin Godzilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap....was hoping that this would be a decent enough entertaining movie....

Guess I can pretty much skip it now...might gwt it to FFWD through the talking...

Comment

No.1 at the box office:
      http://www.kogyotsushin.com/archives...7/31000000.php

And an average user rating of 4.16/5 at yahoo:
      http://movies.yahoo.co.jp/movie/%E3%...%E3%83%A9/360/

Here's also a review by someone who really loved the movie:
      http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/JPop...a-an-8058.aspx

I don't understand at all some the things said in the review... for me this was the exact opposite from what you'd expect from Anno. No character depth, no individual vs society aspect, no consistently innovative camerawork, no quiet moody/philosophical moments...

And no mention of Satomi Ishihara. She's the worst Japanese actress of the century... and that's saying a lot. I hated most of the cast, but she's is a league of her own.

I do admit though, that subtitles wouldn't have hurt and I may have missed some of content. Like the reviewer says, the film is a translator's nightmare for the sheer volume of dialogue and constant on screen text (unless he/she get paid by character count. I that case he/she is going to be a millionaire).

This genius trailer for The End of Evangelion is what Anno is to me, and everything Godzilla Resurgence is not:
      Takuma
      Last edited by Takuma; 08-01-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Japan Times review:
        http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/.../#.V6L8-KJ-Bnt

Comment

Not necessarily a BAD review there....it admits that pretty much this version of Godzilla is aimed squarely at the home market rather than pandering to overseas audiences.....and also that its a bit talky.....Nice to see it agrees with you that Satomi Ishihara is amazingly bad in this it seems...
          Will give it a whirl when it hits dvd..can FFWD thru all the talking if things get too slow...

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
            can FFWD thru all the talking if things get too slow...
            You'll finish the movie in 25 minutes

Comment

So Fandango is starting to list US theaters that are showing this.

http://www.fandango.com/Godzilla%20R.../movieoverview

Oddly enough the closest one to me is NJ, no NYC dates listed yet.

I'm probably not going to NJ to see this, sorry.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

“SHIN GODZILLA” STOMPS ACROSS NORTH AMERICA THIS OCTOBER — TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE!

Toho-Produced Film to Screen October 11 - 18 in More Than 440 Theaters!

"A reboot that is unquestionably Godzilla.”
                - Jay Hawkinson, BLOODY DISGUSTING

“A rebirth for both Godzilla and Hideaki Anno: A match made in kaiju heaven.”
                - OTAKU USA Magazine

LOS ANGELES, CA - September 9, 2016. The iconic science-fiction monster Godzilla makes land fall in the U.S. and Canada this October with the North American theatrical release of “SHIN GODZILLA” from Toho Company, Ltd—and you can score your tickets now! Fans have been clamoring for news of the film's theatrical dates ever since Funimation® Films made its surprise acquisition announcement in July at San Diego Comic Con 2016. The company revealed that “SHIN GODZILLA” will roar into theaters for a limited engagement October 11 - 18, screening in more than 440 theaters across the U.S. and Canada. Tickets for “SHIN GODZILLA” are now available for pre-purchase on the official film website beginning today, September 9. You can also use the theater locator on the official website to find where SHIN GODZILLA is playing near you, as well as watch the heart-stopping movie trailer!

“We are thrilled to bring 'SHIN GODZILLA' to theaters across North America this October,” said Gen Fukunaga, CEO and President of Funimation. “Toho established Godzilla as one of the most iconic monsters in science fiction history and we're honored to now be a part of that history with the theatrical release of this new movie. Fans will not want to miss this limited theatrical event.“

Co-directed by Hideaki Anno (creator of “Evangelion”) and Shinji Higuchi (director of Toho's 2015 “Attack on Titan” live action movies), “SHIN GODZILLA” is the 29th Godzilla film produced by Toho and represents a brand-new chapter in the 62-year history of this celebrated movie monster. The film stars Hiroki Hasegawa and Satomi Ishihara - both also from the “Attack on Titan” live-action movies - as well as Yutaka Takenouchi.

“Movie audiences can look forward to a great time watching 'SHIN GODZILLA' this October,” said Mike DuBoise, EVP and COO of Funimation. “A larger than life monster like Godzilla has to be experienced on the big screen. And we expect this movie to sell out in numerous theaters so we encourage fans to purchase tickets in advance.”

SHIN GODZILLA has been a big hit in Japan since its opening on July 29, 2016, which garnered a box office of ¥ 845,675,500 and total audience of 564,332 during its first three days. To date in Japan, the movie has grossed ¥ 5,302,014,700 at the box office and 3,637,748 in total attendance.

In advance of the movie's opening, Funimation will be hosting two premieres of “SHIN GODZILLA” — on October 3 in Los Angeles and on October 5 in New York — before opening on the day of New York Comic Con 2016. Additional details on these two events to be announced.

To purchase tickets, locate a theater in your city, or find more information on “SHIN GODZILLA,” visit funimationfilms.com/shingodzilla.

Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/funimation and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/funimation and on Instagram at instagram.com/funimation.

About Funimation Films
                Funimation Films, the theatrical division of Funimation Entertainment, acquires both anime and live-action movies from prominent international filmmakers that appeal to the interests and passion of all types of fans and distributes them throughout North America. The division was launched in December 2014 following the box office success of "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" that same year. Funimation Films released "Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'" a year later and which became #9 highest-grossing anime movie in North America. Funimation Entertainment is a subsidiary of Group 1200 Media, a fully integrated, next-generation, independent entertainment studio based in Dallas. For more information on Funimation Films, visit funimationfilms.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shin Godzilla 11x17 Poster_300 DPI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	351219
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I really want to take my kids to see a GODZILLA film in theaters but this one sounds like it might be too talky. Do you guys think this Godzilla is too boring for youngsters just looking for monster battles.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                    I really want to take my kids to see a GODZILLA film in theaters but this one sounds like it might be too talky. Do you guys think this Godzilla is too boring for youngsters just looking for monster battles.
                    Probably, yes. It's like 20 minutes of monster action and 95 minutes of talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                      Probably, yes. It's like 20 minutes of monster action and 95 minutes of talk.
                      Are they not going to edit it down by 30 mins, add some extra scenes with an old american actor and dub it???

Come on Weinsteins...we need you now!!!

Comment

I caught it tonight with a packed house & really enjoyed it! I didn't know what to expect from Anno but I'm more than happy with the outcome. The audience erupted in applause after the credits began to roll and it wasn't just your usual tokusatsu/kaiju geeky crowd either (although there were plenty of those types present). I'm glad Anno didn't feel the need to cater too much to the international market other than the usual caricatured portrayal of foreigners & yes, Satomi's acting in this is near unwatchable but I really enjoyed the assortment of wonderful character actors that pop up in this from Ren Osugi to Shinya Tsukamoto. Some of the dialog & plot devices were just plain corny and bordering on the hysterically jingoistic but that's just my perspective as a non-Japanese. One can plainly see the allusions to the Great Tohuku earthquake and the government's bungling bureaucratic response to it and it was bit heavy handed at times but Anno drove home his point. I thought the CGI and special effects in general were excellent too. All in all, one of the better Godzilla films in recent memory & certainly tops GODZILLA 2014 in my book. :up:

Comment

Man oh man. Had a great time with this one. Shin Godzilla was rad.
                          "My mouth is laughing but my mind is not." -Me, I said that.

Comment

El Rey network is running a 96 hour Kaiju Xmas marathon starting tomorrow & running through Monday. It'll be cool to have this on in the background while I ramp up for the festivities with family and whatnot over. I'd rather watch this than the NFL on Christmas day that's for sure.

Comment

I ended up seeing this for the second time, and enjoyed it more with adjusted expectations. I admit there's some pretty biting satire on Japanese government, and it's generally pretty well made with a good pace considering the amount of talk, and some moody scenes. But I still feel this is not the Anno I love. To put it in a way most people can understand: there are people who love Evangelion because of the mecha stuff, and then there are people who like Evangelion (*) despite the mecha stuff. I'm in the latter camp. This film was aimed more for the first group. But yeah, I think I was a bit too hard on it after the first viewing.

* of course, for me Anno equals to Love & Pop and Ritual, not Evangelion. Evangelion is good with moments of greatness while Love & Pop and Ritual show what Anno is really capable of.

Comment

No subs so it's not worth it to me but the Japanese steelbook release for this is foxy.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Shin-Godzil...=AN1VRQENFRJN5
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X