Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese DVD / BD News (Don't Expect Subs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
    I wondered when Fires on the Plain was coming out, I hope it comes out internationaly soon in an English friendly version. I just received a very nice looking making of book with my shipment of goodies from Japan today. I don't speak a word of Japanese, let alone read it, but I do love looking at Japanese film books because they are immaculately designed and usually have great photos, plus you sometimes get novelizations of films that are exclusive to Japan (I have Day of the Dead, Evil Dead, Trauma and Stagefright in my collection). It also helps that they are cheap so I usually slip one in when I order dvds or Blu Rays from Japan.
    Fires on the Plains is based on a Japanese novel that is a classic and not too hard to find.

Comment

I had completely missed this release. Came out in January, from Kadokawa.

The Moon Mask Rider (Gekko kamen) (1982)
      Director: Yukihiro Sawada
      Cast: Daisuke Kuwahara, Etsuko Shihomi, Takeo Chii

I haven't seen the film yet, nor the original Gekko kamen films from the 1950s, which Toei has released (all?) on DVD.

Comment

Toei will release 4 Tai Kato films on DVD 2016/10/05

真田風雲録 (1963)

Cast: Kinnosuke Yorozuya, Mickey Curtis, Jerry Fujio

骨までしゃぶる (1966)

Cast: Hiroko Sakuramachi, Nahoko Kubo, Isao Natsuyagi

懲役十八年 (Eighteen Year Jail Term) (1967)

Cast: Noboru Ando, Tomisaburo Wakayama, Hiroko Sakuramachi, Asao Koike

昭和おんな博徒 (Showa Woman Gambler) (1972)

Cast: Kyoko Enami, Hiroki Matsukata, Tatsuo Endo, Kanjuro Arashi, Fumio Watanabe

Comment

Another set of Takakura films from Toei on 2016/11/09

流星空手打ち (Ryí»sei karate uchi ) (1956) + 電光空手打ち (Denkí´ karate uchi ) (1956)
          Dir: Fujio Tsuda
          Cast: Ken Takakura, Takashi Kanda, Susumi Namishima
          [two films on 1 dvd... both are just 58/59 min]
          [these were Takakura's first film roles]
          - http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_d...num_sid=989462

黒い指の男 (Kuroi yubi no otoko) (1959)
          Dir: Masuichi Iizuka
          Cast: Ken Takakura, Yayoi Furusato
          - http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_d...num_sid=989465

博徒一家 (Bakuto ikka) (1970)
          Dir: Shigero Ozawa
          Cast: Ken Takakura, Minoru Ooki, Tomisaburo Wakayama
          - http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_d...num_sid=989464

望郷子守唄 (Bokyo Komori-uta) (1972)
          Cast: Ken Takakura, Ryo Ikebe, Yuriko Hoshi
          - http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_d...num_sid=989463

Denkí´ karate uchi

Bokyo Komori-uta

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
            Fires on the Plains is based on a Japanese novel that is a classic and not too hard to find.
            The original novel was on the New York Times bestseller list..and they agree it is a GREAT book, well worth a read. Not sure how close the movie is to the book though..

"Written with precise skill and beautifully controlled power. The translation by Ivan Morris is outstanding." —The New York Times

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post
              Another set of Takakura films from Toei on 2016/11/09

流星空手打ち (Ryí»sei karate uchi ) (1956) + 電光空手打ち (Denkí´ karate uchi ) (1956)
              Dir: Fujio Tsuda
              Cast: Ken Takakura, Takashi Kanda, Susumi Namishima
              [two films on 1 dvd... both are just 58/59 min]
              [these were Takakura's first film roles]
              - http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_d...num_sid=989462

黒い指の男 (Kuroi yubi no otoko) (1959)
              Dir: Masuichi Iizuka
              Cast: Ken Takakura, Yayoi Furusato
              - http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_d...num_sid=989465

博徒一家 (Bakuto ikka) (1970)
              Cast: Ken Takakura, Minoru Ooki, Tomisaburo Wakayama
              - http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_d...num_sid=989464

望郷子守唄 (Bokyo Komori-uta) (1972)
              Cast: Ken Takakura, Ryo Ikebe, Yuriko Hoshi
              - http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_d...num_sid=989463

Comment

Just wondering, is the Manhunt film with Ken Takakura in the lead made in 1976 available with English subs anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Richardrli View Post
                  Just wondering, is the Manhunt film with Ken Takakura in the lead made in 1976 available with English subs anywhere?
                  Yes, there is a DVDrip with English .srt subtitles available on torrent & usenet sites.

Comment

Crazy Thunder Road BD coming 2016/11/04
                    - https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01KLQ8J..._-pYTxb50VNZHV

This is a new scan / remaster done from a recently discovered negatove via crowd funding.

Comment

More Tai Kato coming, this time from Shochiku, on BD

on 2016/12/07

宮本武蔵 第一部 関ヶ原より一乗寺下り松 + 第二部 柳生の里より巌流島 (Miyamoto Musashi ) (1973)

江戸川乱歩の 陰獣 (Beast in the Shadows) (Edogawa Rampo no injí») (1977)

on 2017/01/06

男の顔は履歴書 (Otoko no kao wa rirekisho) (By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him) (1966)

阿片台地 地獄部隊突撃せよ (Ahendaichi jigokubutai totsugekiseyo) (1966)

These two star Noboru Ando.

on 2017/02/08

ざ・鬼太鼓座(1981)

This seems to be a music documentary film. Made in 1981, it had theatrical release in 1994.

+ one that was only written by him and only comes out on DVD

竹久夢二物語 恋する(1975)
                      Takuma
                      Last edited by Takuma; 09-12-2016, 01:03 AM.

Comment

The actress in Beast in the Shadows looks a lot like Meiko Kaji, even though she's not

Comment

It has taken them a while, but Toei is finally releasing Yusaku Matsuda on BD. The Yugi series is coming out March 8, 2017.
                          - http://www.toei-video.co.jp/BD/yuugi.html#ca40th

The films are
                          - The Most Dangerous Game (1978)
                          - The Murder Game (1978)
                          - The Execution Game (1979)

3 Disc box set. Extras contain trailers, booklet, lobby cards and a mini size reproduction of the original pamphlet for Excecution Game.

It's a very popular series, although I personally don't rate the films that high. The first film is a relatively entertaining and amusingly sexist action flick with ridiculous action scenes where the bad guys can't hit Matsuda no matter how close they are. The same problem plagues the entire series. The second one throws in more comedy and somewhat tones down the sexism, which wasn't a good move. The third one is more of an 80s style underwhelming neo noir drama with an uninteresting storyline and characters, and not nearly as stylish as its poster would have you believe.

Matsuda is of course the best thing about the series, and I wish he had starred in better films. He's got a couple of very good action films - Classroom of Terror, Resurrection of the Golden Wolf - but he became an action star too late, just when Japanese action films started to go down the gutter and it became fashionable to make story and character driven films even if you didn't have interesting story and characters.

Comment

Four more Sugawara DVDs 2017/05/10
                            - http://www.toei-video.co.jp/DVD/sugawarabunta.html

Three Ex-con Brothers (懲役三兄弟) (1969)
                            dir. Kiyoshi Saeki
                            Cast: Bunta Sugawara, Ken Takakura, Kyosuke Machida, Tomisaburo Wakayama

True Account of Hishakaku - A Wolf's Honor and Humanity (実録飛車角 狼どもの仁義) (1974)
                            Dir. Shinji Murayama
                            Cast: Bunta Sugawara, Akira Kobayashi, Tsunehiko Watase

The Viper Brothers and the Young General (まむしと青大将) (1975)
                            dir. Sadao Nakajima
                            Cast: Bunta Sugawara, Tamio Kawaji

Yokohama Underworld: Machine Gun Dragon (横浜暗黒街 マシンガンの竜) (1978)
                            Dir. Akihisa Okamoto
                            Cast: Bunta Sugawara. Sonny Chiba, Renji Ishibashi.

Toei will also be remembering Hiroki Matsukata (who died recently) with three DVD releases on 2017/06/14
                            - http://www.toei-video.co.jp/DVD/matsukatahiroki.html

Escaped Murderer from Hiroshima Prison (脱獄広島殺人囚) (1974)
                            Dir. Sadao Nakajima
                            Cast: Hiroki Matsukata, Tatsuo Umemiya

Robbery, Arson and Killer Convicts (強盗放火殺人囚) (1975)
                            Dir. Kosaku Yamashita
                            Cast: Hiroki Matsukata, Tomisaburo Wakayama

Hiroshima Hostage Rescue Tactics (広島仁義 人質奪回作戦) (1976)
                            Dir. Yuuji Makiguchi
                            Cast:Hiroki Matsukata, Akira Kobayashi

As I've said before, it's nice to have Toei release catalogue stuff again, but it's sad that the only way to get your films released by them is to be dead...

Comment

Yeah, the only one I caught was Machine Gun Dragon since it's been out on bootleg for ages now. It was even included in some cheap Chiba bootleg box set even though Chiba appears for like 5 minutes. I really enjoyed that one. Hopefully, some fan subs of these releases are forthcoming from the usual suspects. We definitely could use more Nakajima that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 47lab View Post
                                Yeah, the only one I caught was Machine Gun Dragon since it's been out on bootleg for ages now. It was even included in some cheap Chiba bootleg box set even though Chiba appears for like 5 minutes. I really enjoyed that one. Hopefully, some fan subs of these releases are forthcoming from the usual suspects. We definitely could use more Nakajima that's for sure.
                                I've seen 132 Sonny Chiba films. Machine Gun Dragon is the second or third worst

[only beaten by Delinquent Boss: Ocho the She-Wolf, and challenged by The Storm Riders]

Robbery, Arson and Killer Convicts mainly bored me. Kosaku Yamashita was probably the best ninkyo yakuza film directors (I much prefer him to Tai Kato) but he really seemed to lose his touch in the 70s.

Hiroshima Hostage Rescue Tactics is pretty good. I saw it a loong time ago. I just recorded the new remaster from Toei Channel last month.

Arrow has some Nakajima coming. Marc interviewed him last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X