Incorrectly labelled Hong Kong DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrectly labelled Hong Kong DVDs

In light of the recent work I did with the Shaw Brothers films on DVD in Hong Kong, I've decided to start up a topic thread with information detailing the little "mistakes" that HK DVD/BD distributors sometimes make with their product.

In the case of Shaw Brothers titles, released on Region 3-encoded DVD through IVL (Intercontinental Video Ltd.), a significant number were remixed into Dolby EX 6.1 audio, where the sleeves only listed Dolby 5.1 audio. The titles that were actually Dolby EX 6.1 (that I have in my collection) are as follows:

The 14 Amazons
    7 Man Army
    Angel with the Iron Fists
    The Angry Guest
    The Assassin
    The Avenging Eagle
    Bat Without Wings
    The Battle Wizard
    The Bells of Death
    Boxer Rebellion
    The Brave Archer
    The Brave Archer II
    The Brave Archer III
    Brave Archer and His Mate
    Brotherhood
    Bruce Lee & I
    Call to Arms
    Cat Vs. Rat
    The Chinese Boxer
    Clan of the White Lotus
    Crazy Shaolin Disciples
    The Crimson Charm
    Crippled Avengers
    The Deadly Breaking Sword
    The Deadly Duo
    Death Valley
    Descendant of the Sun
    Dirty Ho
    The Duel
    The Fake Ghost Catchers
    The Flying Dagger
    The Fugitive
    The Golden Sword
    Heaven Sword and Dargon Sabre
    Heaven Sword and Dargon Sabre II
    Invincible Enforcer
    Judgement of an Assassin
    King Cat
    King Eagle
    The Kung Fu Instructor
    The Lady Hermit
    Legend of the Fox
    Legendary Weapons of China
    Marco Polo
    Martial Club
    Ode to Gallantry
    The Proud Youth
    Return of the Sentimental Swordsman
    River of Fury
    The Shaolin Avengers
    The Silent Swordsman
    The Silver Fox
    The Singing Killer
    The Spiritual Boxer
    Swift Sword
    The Sword Stained with Royal Blood
    Ten Tigers of Kwang Tung
    Tiger Killer
    The Treasure Hunters
    Vengeance is a Golden Blade
    The Wandering Swordsman

We can update the list if anyone else finds any other title not on the above list that has a DD-EX soundtrack (and is mis-identified as standard DD 5.1 on the packaging).
    Last edited by Mike T; 02-09-2011, 01:28 AM.

With the Fortune Star titles, released through Joy Sales Film & Video Distributors (soon to shift to Kam & Ronson), I've happened across the following discrepancies:

The Canton Godfather (aka: Miracles/Mister Canton & Lady Rose) -- incorrected marked as Region 3, actually All Region
    City Hunter -- Cantonese DTS-ES 5.1 and Dolby EX 6.1 audio (listed as standard formats on sleeve)
    Diary of a Big Man -- Cantonese DTS-ES 5.1, Dolby EX 6.1 and Mandarin Dolby EX 6.1 audio (listed as standard formats on sleeve)
    The Millionaire's Express -- Cantonese DTS-ES 5.1 and Dolby EX 6.1 audio (listed as standard formats on sleeve); also the film is "International" version, not the original Hong Kong theatrical version. Each version has footage unique to either variant, but none of the deleted theatrical footage has been included in the extras.
    Peking Opera Blues -- Cantonese DTS-ES 5.1, Dolby EX 6.1 and Mandarin Dolby EX 6.1 audio (listed as standard formats on sleeve)
    Righting Wrongs -- Is the original HK theatrical version (no alternate export footage included); interview with Yuen Biao features NO English subtitles!
    Story of Ricky -- Cantonese DTS-ES 5.1 and Dolby EX 6.1 audio (listed as standard formats on sleeve)
    Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars -- alternate footage from the Mandarin language version included (not listed on sleeve)

Additional updates forthcoming
    Last edited by Mike T; 02-09-2011, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Joy Sales titles with anomalies:

Beast Stalker (2008, Hong Kong) -- sleeve lists standard DTS 5.1 audio; it's actually DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete!
      The Maid (2005, Singapore) -- listed on various retailers and Joy Sales website as 16:9, NTSC and DVD-9 (JS list DVD-5). Is actually 4:3 letterboxed, PAL and DVD-5

Kam & Ronson titles:

Trivial Matters (2007, Hong Kong) -- sleeve lists DTS-ES 6.1 discrete and Dolby EX audio; actual audio tracks are standard DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1 formats

Mei Ah Entertainment titles:

Wesley's Mysterious File (2002, Hong Kong) -- faulty DTS track (balance askew, centre-channel directional from rear-left); no reports of repressing or corrected audio
      Last edited by Mike T; 02-10-2011, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Btw, is the topic idea of any use to anyone out there? Or is it all just p*ss and wind to a lot of you? :think:

Comment

It's interesting for the curiosity factor.

I have the Fortune Star release of Bullet In The Head that's incorrectly labelled - as The Killer. For some reason though the slipcase has the right art, the cover itself in the keepcase is for The Killer. Kind of annoying, really, but at least the discs are good so I wasn't about to send it back to HK for an exchange.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            I have the Fortune Star release of Bullet In The Head that's incorrectly labelled - as The Killer. For some reason though the slipcase has the right art, the cover itself in the keepcase is for The Killer. Kind of annoying, really...
            Would you like a scan of that cover to print out? If so, just let me know what quality you want the scan done at (I usually scan at 400dpi) and I'll do it today and email it to you! ;)

Comment

Actually, yeah, that'd be awesome - 300dpi is fine.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

No worries! Consider it done. You have a PM. Btw, glad the thread is of some use to someone. :)

Comment

Much obliged!
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And here's some facts and figures on some UK editions of Asian films:

Cine Asia

Chocolate (2008, Thailand) -- BD marked as Dolby 5.1 audio, actually DTS-Master audio 5.1
                    Ghost Game (2006, Thailand) -- non-removable subtitles; poor compression/encoding (lots of digital noise in blacks)
                    Raging Phoenix (2009, Thailand -- non-removable subtitles (BD edition)
                    Sasori (2008, HK/Japan) -- non-removable subtitles; poor compression/encoding (lots of digital noise in blacks)

Metrodome

Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen (2010, Hong Kong) -- Correct Cantonese & English theatrical audio, but non-removable subtitles

Comment

Working...
                    X