Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Asian Films Have You Been Watching Recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ropo1

• ropo1
    replied
    thanks for the info. Ill start with The Villainess fairly soon I hope, will probably end up checking out the other one aswell.

Leave a comment:

• 47lab
    replied
    Originally posted by ropo1 View Post
    The Villainess sounds worthy of seeking out(!). Seen anything else worthy of a mention from that director ?
    He's a former stuntman who turned director, so his output is just three films. Never caught his debut about Korea's equivalent to JAC stunt organization but I did see his second film CONFESSION OF MURDER at my local CGV theater when it played a few years back. It didn't make a huge impression on me but I thought it was a decent cat and mouse Korean revenge crime thriller with a dark satiric look at Korean celebrity and netizen culture with the usual twists and turns. There is Japanese remake that was recently released. I don't think I'll bother to check the remake out. So I give the Korean version a rather tepid recommendation.

But by all means, do check out THE VILLAINESS if the plot strikes your fancy. Considering the director's stunt and action background, this movie is quite entertaining in that regard. The continual use of flashbacks to tell Kim Ok Bin's back story & tutelage with joseonjok gangster Shin Ha-kyun was a bit tedious after awhile but overall, I enjoyed this more than Besson's troubled female becomes secret gov't assassin flick and it's loads better than that crap US remake with Bridget Fonda (forgot the title but it's not worth remembering IMO anyway).

Leave a comment:

• ropo1

• ropo1
    replied
    The Villainess sounds worthy of seeking out(!). Seen anything else worthy of a mention from that director ?

Leave a comment:

• 47lab
    replied
    Caught another triple bill and started off with Sion Sono's THE WHISPERING STAR. Remember when Sono went from strength to strength and you made it a point to specifically seek out his works? yeah, me too but that seems an eternity ago. I have no idea what the fuck Sono was trying to do with this shit but it's horrible! Seems Sono was channeling his inner Tarkovsky but it came off all wrong. It was obviously made on a low budget but when the props look they were bought from Daiso and the set was designed from leftovers from Tokyo Hands, something is definitely wrong. Sono's wifey, Megumi Kagurazaka is the lead again and it's hard to tell if her acting is regressing or it's just the lame material from Sono? If you want a cure for insomnia, then this is the flick for you -- I guarantee you'll be knocked out within the first 20 minutes.

Next up was Kirio Urayama's DELINQUENT GIRL aka BAD GIRL. I'm not familiar with Urayama's directorial output but I've read he specialized in making films depicting social problems involving young women. The lead actress, Masako Izumi certainly puts forth a worthy performance here and while certain parts were a little too sappy and melodramatic for my tastes, I realize it's a product of its time and don't fault it too much. Recommended if you can get a hold of it.

Last was the Korean action thriller, THE VILLAINESS from director Jung Byung Gil. I read this flick received a 4 minute standing ovation at Cannes?! It 's a decent little flick but can't fathom why it would receive such accolades from the audience? Essentially, this is a more violent and action oriented take on Besson's LA FEMME NIKITA but actress, Kim Ok Bin puts Anne Parillaud to shame when it comes to getting her hands dirty. The opening sequence reminiscent of OLD BOY but shown from the POV of the protagonist is well done as is a later action set piece involving crotch rockets and samurai swords. So yeah, you'll recognize the familiar tropes of a young girl turned into a secret government assassin but it's still quite entertaining. Well Go has picked up the NA rights and I'll probably end up getting the eventual blu ray release down the road.

Leave a comment:

• 47lab
    replied
    Caught a triple bill earlier today and it went from the sublime to the ridiculous in a hurry. First up was a re-watch of the superb melodrama, BAMBOO DOLL OF ECHIZEN from Kozaburo Yoshimura. I'm a big fan of Masumura muse, Ayako Wakao and she certainly lives up to the billing here. Gorgeous cinematography and fine acting all around.

Next was Toshio Lee's live action adaptation of DETROIT METAL CITY. This was pretty awful. The anime was no great shakes either but at least it had some laugh out loud moments but this live version was cringeworthy from start to finish. I got second hand embarrassment watching Kenichi Matsuyama's performance as it was way OTT but not in a good way. The actress from HULU GIRLS (sorry forgot her name?) who plays DMC's manager was the only entertaining aspect of the entire film. Rose Kato was cute as Kenichi's love interest but she was so wooden in her acting and even the cameo by Gene Simmons was a snoozer. Avoid this crap at all cost!

Last was Park Kwang Hyun's first movie in 12 years -- the sci-fi crime thriller, FABRICATED CITY. This was even worse than DMC! I couldn't believe this was the same director who made WELCOME TO DONGMAKGOL? This shit was a mess from the get go. Horrible story, disjointed plot, annoying characters - I really can't find one redeeming feature of this movie. Director Park needs to go back to making TV sit coms because he's obviously lost his touch in the intervening 12 years. Even the supporting characters were terrible like Kim Min Kyo -- those who watch SNL Korea will immediately recognize him and he's been a bit player in a lot of other Korean flicks but I'm still astounded how this clown keeps getting hired? He acts like he is still doing a never ending SNL skit. :down:

So one gem and two huge turds!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X