• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost In The Shell

Press release!

"Mind-blowing Hard Science Fiction that live action has yet to match."
    -- Harry Knowles, AICN

25 years ago, a breathtaking leap in the history of animation stunned and amazed audiences, with the release of Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell. Now, to celebrate a quarter century of its groundbreaking blend of traditional cel and CGI animation, Anchor Bay Entertainment proudly announces the Ghost in the Shell 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray(TM). Boasting an all new HD transfer, the GitS 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray(TM) streets September 30th with an SRP of $29.99. Pre-book is August 27th.

2029 - A female government cyber agent and the Internal Bureau of Investigations are hot on the trail of a "The Puppet Master" - a computer virus capable of invading cybernetic brains and altering its victim's memory. Created by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and codenamed "Project 2501", this 'hacker' is actually a prototype virtual agent which has now defied its makers by seeking asylum within a new host body outside of the electronic net. Now the two agencies must maneuver against each another in a violent, high-tech race to capture the omnipresent entity.

When released in 1995, Ghost in the Shell took the world by storm exhibiting a new dimension of anime with unprecedented and mesmerizing cinematic expression. Seamlessly merging traditional cel animation with the latest computer graphic imagery, this stunning sci-fi spectacle broke through the boundaries of mainstream animation with detailed artistic expression and a uniquely intelligent story line. The film has gone on to inspire a generation of filmmakers and has become the most revered anime feature of all time. Veteran anime writer/director/producer Mamoru Oshii, working in conjunction with the animators at Production I.G. (Blood: The Last Vampire, Kaidohmaru, Kill Bill) brought to life Masamune Shirow's vision.

This excellent cyberpunk thriller was co-produced by Manga Entertainment and enjoyed both critical and popular success at the U.S. box office and was the first Japanese animated film to reach No. 1 on the Billboard Top Video Sales Chart.

Ghost in the Shell 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray(TM)
    Genre: Sci Fi, Anime
    Languages: Japanese
    Format: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
    Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English;
    Dolby Digital 2.0 Japanese
    Subtitles: English SDH
    Year: 1995
    SRP: $29.99
    Street Date: September 30th, 2014
    Pre-Book: August 27th, 2014
    Rating: Not Rated
    Length: 82 minutes
    UPC: 0 1313 26241-3 6
    Cat#: BD62413

Click image for larger version

Name:	gits 25th anniversary email.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	365206
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Nice. But any extras?
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Nothing stated, at least not yet. Maybe more details will come out before it streets.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The Blu that's already out there is pretty good though. Why the need for another?

Maybe some people didn't realize that the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 release also featured a remastered version of the original film without the added CGI of the 2.0 remix?
        It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

I have a copy of the Japanese Blu and thought it looked amazing enough. New extras or possibly a redubbed English track would make me interested.
          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I have the Japanese Blu as well.

A bit irritated how "People love machines in 2020 A.D." is written on it like 8 times...

Comment

Originally posted by Takuma View Post

A bit irritated how "People love machines in 2020 A.D." is written on it like 8 times...
              They REALLY love those machines
              It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

4k release coming in Sept.

https://highdefdiscnews.com/2020/07/...-in-september/
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I finally got around to watching this release a few months back and enjoyed even more than before. I'm down for a 4k upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                    Hopefully it's a straight port of the Japanese disc, not like what they did with the Stand-Alone Complex blus.

Comment

Here's the full press release for the 4k release.

One of Anime's Most Beloved Films Is Reborn on 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack and Digital 4K Ultra HD September 8th from Lionsgate®

4K Ultra HD to Include Dolby Vision® and Dolby Atmos®

SANTA MONICA, CA (July 29, 2020) - Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of one of the most critically acclaimed anime films of all time when Ghost in the Shell arrives on 4K Ultra HDâ„¢ Combo Pack (plus Blu-rayâ„¢ and Digital 4K Ultra HD) and Digital 4K Ultra HD on September 8th from Lionsgate. Based on the beloved manga from Japanese writer and illustrator Shirow Masamune, the film's voice cast includes Atsuko Tanaka (Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, TV's “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex”, “Ghost in the Shell 2.0”), Akio í”tsuka (Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Paprika, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots), and Kí´ichi Yamadera (Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Ninja Scroll). Remastered in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, and featuring fan-favorite commemorative artwork from pop illustrator Martin Ansin - along with brand new bonus material - this will be the most definitive Ghost in the Shell package to date.

2029: A female cybernetic government agent, Major Motoko Kusanagi, and the Internal Bureau of Investigations are hot on the trail of “The Puppet Master,” a mysterious and threatening computer virus capable of infiltrating human hosts. Together with her fellow agents from Section 9, Kusanagi embarks on a high-tech race against time to capture the omnipresent entity. Director Mamoru Oshii's award-winning cyber-tech thriller, based on the comic book by Shirow Masamune, is lauded as one of the leading Japanese animation films of all time.

The Ghost in the Shell special features include an audio commentary as well as two brand new bonus featurettes: “Accessing Section 9: 25 Years into the Future” and “Landscapes & Dreamscapes - The Art and Architecture of Ghost in the Shell.” Experience four times the resolution of full HD with the 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack, which includes Dolby Vision, bringing entertainment to life through ultra-vivid picture quality. When compared to a standard picture, Dolby Vision can deliver spectacular colors never before seen on a screen, highlights that are up to 40 times brighter, and blacks that are 10 times darker. Additionally, the 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack features Dolby Atmos, which will transport viewers from an ordinary moment into an extraordinary experience with moving audio that flows all around them. Fans will feel like they're inside the action as the sounds of people, places, things, and music come alive with breathtaking realism and move throughout the space.

The Ghost in the Shell 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack will be available for the suggested retail price of $22.99.

4K / BLU-RAY / DIGITAL SPECIAL FEATURES
                      Full-length audio commentary of Ghost in the Shell with Mary Claypool (Animation Writer and English Language Scriptwriter), Eric Calderon (Animation Producer and Writer), Richard Epcar (Voice of “Batou”), and Charles Solomon (Animation Historian and Critic)
                      “Accessing Section 9: 25 Years into the Future” Featurette
                      “Landscapes & Dreamscapes: The Art and Architecture of Ghost in the Shell” Featurette

ADDITIONAL ARCHIVAL BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
                      Production Report & Digital Works Featuretes
                      Theatrical Trailer

PROGRAM INFORMATION
                      Year of Production: 1995
                      Title Copyright: Ghost in the Shell © 1995 Masamune Shirow / Kodansha Ltd. / Bandai Visual Co. Ltd. / Manga Entertainment Ltd. Artwork & Supplementary Materials © 2020 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
                      Type: Theatrical Release
                      Rating: Not Rated
                      Genre: Anime, Action, Crime, Thriller
                      Closed-Captioned: N/A
                      Subtitles: English, Spanish, English SDH
                      Feature Run Time: 83 Minutes
                      4K Ultra HDâ„¢ Format: Dolby Vision, 2160p Ultra High Definition 16x9 (1.85:1) Presentation
                      Blu-ray Format: 1080p High Definition 16x9 (1.85:1) Presentation
                      4K Audio Status: Japanese 2.0 LPCM Audio, Japanese Dolby Atmos, English Dolby Atmos, English Descriptive Audio
                      Blu-ray Audio Status: Japanese 2.0 PCM Audio, English 5.1 DTS-HD Master AudioTM

Click image for larger version

Name:	c0cba8ce-d484-4a35-8d3d-a56a7d5fae85.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	358657

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

If the trailer is anything to go by, this is the same DNR'd to hell transfer used for the Japanese 4K release. Not sure what the point of a 4K release is supposed to be if you destroy the look of a classic.

Comment

4k release is $7.99 on Amazon right now!

https://amzn.to/2J0EZpe
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm not a steelbook guy, but the Best Buy steel is a thing of beauty.

GiTS is the only film I've watched twice in one year in long time. Really loving re-discovering this film. The Arrow Book was an amazing supplement to pair with watching the film again this week. Some great insights and answered some questions I always had about the film.

I'm so surprised that I don't hate the remake. It's kinda unnecessary but its just different enough that I find it worth watching. I do wonder if I would have enjoyed the film more if the lead had been Asian.

I wish I could get my hands on that fan restoration.

Comment

From what I've understood, Lionsgate screwed up the Japanese audio tracks, which all contain the closing music from the ENG dub track rather than the original Japanese music.

Comment

Working...
                              X